[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ancient Celtic Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11
File: celts.jpg (39 KB, 720x477) Image search: [Google]
celts.jpg
39 KB, 720x477
/his/ lets discuss the ancient Celts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVAWwWi0DbE

You will never hear this blaring behind you as you charge Romans with battle boners and blue paint
>>
>>58138
Bump
>>
File: celts.jpg (2 MB, 3050x2000) Image search: [Google]
celts.jpg
2 MB, 3050x2000
Post something about their history and civilization OP. I don't know much about them besides the blue paint, battle boners and their fire crotch leader
>>
Were Picts Celts?
>>
>>58724
It's hypothesised yes. Their language is thought to be a Brytthonic one, in the same ball park as Welsh.
>>
I've my doubts the blue paint is real. anyone have sauce?
>>
>>58138
That's basically the most awesome shit ever. It's like some avant garde 1960's mindfuck film soundtrack.
>>
>>58138
That must have been fucking terrifying to hear before a battle
>>
>>60792
Not related to the Celts, but the Aztecs had something similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9QuO09z-SI
>>
>>60870
fucking Christ
>>
>>60870
This is everything a vuvuzela wants to be but fails at.
>>
>>60707
Woad plant
>>
>>60898
Terrifying to be sure, but I find it even worse when you hear this while they're sacrificing you.
>>
>>58138
So celts pay homage to house targaryen?
>>
>>60898
Imagine 10,000 of them at once
>>
File: 3822568129_3c76ca2751.jpg (145 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
3822568129_3c76ca2751.jpg
145 KB, 500x332
>>58138
Man I love the Celts and all, the Romans had a better horn to charge into battle with

https://youtu.be/xIFCaFhm1Wk?t=1m33s
>>
>>62790
link broke, just skip to 1:33
>>
>>60792
I can imagine getting disoriented while hearing it. Fuck I felt a little weird just listening to that video.
>>
There was a recent BBC 3-piece documentary on the Celts with Neil Oliver which I really enjoyed. I recommend it.
>>
>tfw ginger

What's the likelihood I have celtic origins? Or is the idea that most gingers descend from celts a meme idea?
>>
Do you pronounce it as Kelts or Selts?
>>
>>60707
No evidence of blue paint. The evidence for woad plant being used comes up empty. They appear to have used woad but with such small quantities of it at the time, they seem to have used the plant for something else.
>>
>>60707
From Caesar's Gaelic Wars:

"All the Britons paint themselves with woad, which produces a dark blue color; and for this reason they are much more frightful in appearance in battle."
>>
>>65071
A meme
Red heads were everywhere. Maybe more of them in the northern reaches of europe?

>>65134
Kelts
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 782x552) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 782x552
>>65071
You can find gingers all over, they just happen to be much more common in modern Celtic nations such as Ireland and Scotland.
>>
Does Ireland count as Celtic
>>
>>65071
Red hair is a sign of celtic ancestry.
>>
What is the most Celtic language?

As in, when the Romans and Saxons came into Britannia, what language would be the most commonly heard, and what would be the most similar modern day language to that?
>>
>>67431
Of course it does it does.
Asturias too, in a way.
>>
Here's a tough question for the people on this board.

What did pre-Dark Age Irish warriors look like?

The Europa Barbarorum project that modifies the popular video game Rome Total War attempts to depict the entire Hellenistic ancient world accurately, including cultures that we know little about during that period like the Irish.

They have all sorts of interesting types of warriors in the game, including pic related, the "Dubosaverlacica", an elite guard of warriors that looks like something completely out of fantasy.

How historical is stuff like this? Supposedly it is, since they consult historians and spend ages poring over texts to get the most accurate picture of all the cultures around the time of 220 BC when the game is set.
>>
File: goidilic_ordmhornaght[1].gif (11 KB, 160x210) Image search: [Google]
goidilic_ordmhornaght[1].gif
11 KB, 160x210
>>67627

Here's another Irish troop type from Europa Barbarorum, the "Ordmalica", some heavy troops wielding warhammers. I'm pretty sure there were almost no warhammers in actual history.
>>
>tfw no qt 3.14 irish grill to breed in your ringfort
baka desu
>>
File: Castro celta.jpg (81 KB, 555x439) Image search: [Google]
Castro celta.jpg
81 KB, 555x439
did other celtic cultures have something similar to castros?

t. northern portuguese
>>
File: Ancient celts -Haldir w. elves.jpg (59 KB, 825x392) Image search: [Google]
Ancient celts -Haldir w. elves.jpg
59 KB, 825x392
Diodorus on Celts:
"Their aspect is terrifying...They are very tall in stature, with ripling muscles under clear white skin. Their hair is blond, but not naturally so: they bleach it, to this day, artificially, washing it in lime and combing it back from their foreheads. They look like wood-demons, their hair thick and shaggy like a horse's mane."
Ancient Celts literally looked like picrelated due to hair bleaching.
>>
>>65134
kelts
>>
>>69295
like i believe that for a second, source please.
>>
>>70596
What is it that is hard to believe?
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Diodorus_Siculus/5B*.html
>>
>>60792
Sadly for the Celts, their main enemy was the Romans, and the Roman soldiers were very disciplined.
>>
Are celts the biggest Keks of history?
>slaves to the romans
>saxons come over
>rape rape rape
>salves to the Anglo-saxons to this day

K
E
K
>>
>>71001
I'd say Ireland and Scotland but they had the Celtness Keked out of them at least 200 years ago.
>>
>>69295
>>70596
it's no secret the romans held the celts/gauls in high esteem as warriors at some point, but have a negative opinion on their culture.

they depicted them as vicious barbarians who excelled in battle, but also as victims to excess (caring too much about their appearance, as seen with the hair lightening. prone to excess drinking, showing their lazy nature. etc)

>Gauls were once renowned in war; but, after a while, sloth following on ease crept over them, and they lost their courage along with their freedom (tacitus)

>[Gauls are] not only insufferable when victorious, but also scared out of their wits when worsted. (strabo)

>[Gauls are] are exceedingly addicted to the use of wine (diodorus)

obviously these were empire biased accounts or third accounts, but one thing was apparent- everyone agreed these people were not to be taken lightly.

>[gauls are] no longer barbarians (strabo)

ironically, post-romanization, sources generally agreed that the gauls/celts adapted quickly despite their extremely "barbaric" nature- it begs to question, just how "barbaric" could they really have been?

personally i want to believe the romans were being tsundere and secretly adore the celts to pieces
>>
File: 1431231430382.png (137 KB, 610x533) Image search: [Google]
1431231430382.png
137 KB, 610x533
>>67400
Whats the deal with that small pocket of gingers in russia?
>>
>>58138

Do the Portuguese and west-northerners of Spain count as Celts? If so, why don't people see them that way?
>>
Anglophones don't really know much about Iberian history, and especially in America "Celtic" generally means Irish and Scottish. Few Americans even know where Wales is or have even heard of it, even fewer have heard of the Gauls.
>>
>>58138
Were the Celts the inspiration for Tolkien's elves?
>>
File: Udmurt qt.jpg (683 KB, 2040x2720) Image search: [Google]
Udmurt qt.jpg
683 KB, 2040x2720
>>71796
it's the Udmurt
>>
>>72866
no, finns were the inspiration for the elves
>>
>>72972
Pretty sure it was the welsh
>>
https://youtu.be/yC9Ti20yuPU

I have a feeling this isn't entirely accurate, but it's still really cool. "Brythonic" sounds almost entirely like Sindarin, modern Welsh isn't really all that similar to Sindarin compared to this. And Proto-Celtic sounds really ancient and like a less guttural version of Proto-Indo European.

I also didn't know that the Brythonic language(s) of the Dark Ages before the rise of Welsh and Cornish were that different from the languages at the time of the Roman invasion.
>>
>>72866

There's a Tolkien quote out there that says that they weren't, and that Tolkien overall disliked Celtic culture. While the Quenya language was based on Finnish and Latin and Sindarin was based on Welsh, you can't really say that the elven culture itself was based on any particular culture. Treetop houses like in Lothlorien didn't really exist in history, but some of the Rivendell buildings look like stereotypical German buildings, except with a few Japanese touches here and there. And they're obviously going for a vaguely Japanese feel with the weapons and armor, although the long cloaks they wear look more Middle Eastern.
>>
>>67523
Gaelic.
>>
File: aerial-knowth.jpg (76 KB, 605x406) Image search: [Google]
aerial-knowth.jpg
76 KB, 605x406
>you will never do shrooms in a hill on the solstice
>>
>>67665
>>67627
those were super rare.

That would not even be a full unit. Its more like the few guards that rode or went into battl with some rich ass king or the kings brother.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.