[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /his/ think the Gracchi brothers were in the right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9
File: Gracchi.jpg (456 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Gracchi.jpg
456 KB, 1024x768
Does /his/ think the Gracchi brothers were in the right?
>>
>>580557
The Gracchi did literally nothing wrong.
>>
>>580560
I agree. I'm asking because /his/ is filled with Optimates-boos and I wanna see their reasoning.
>>
>>580557
Greatest philanthropists in the ancient world. Similar to Gandhi and mlk, but better
>>
>>580557
> literally "we'll make Rome great again!" populists
>>
I agree with Dan Carlin here, if you had a time machine and told the senators about what would happen in the next 100 years after their murder, the senators would enact more pro plebeian reforms than Gracchii themselves.
>>
>>580594
Who is Dan Carlin and why does so many on /his/ care about him?
>>
>>580557
breddy left desu.
>>
They were great.

>>580583
Literally what every Roman said from the end of the 2nd punic war all the way to the fall of the empire.
>>
>>580557
In domestic and economic issues they were Cesar before Cesar.
>>
>>580557
Its been awhile since I studied them but from what I remember thinking some of their ideas where good an necessary, others unnecessarily antagonized the ruling class.
>>
>>580557

Ancient Communists.
>>
>>580798
None of them wanted to end the Patrician-Plebeian divide. They wanted to redistribute land.

That's land reform anon. Taiwan did land reform ffs.
>>
>>580557
The wild beasts of Italy have their caves to retire to, but the brave men who spill their blood in her cause have nothing left but air and light. Without houses, without settled habitations, they wander from place to place with their wives and children; and their generals do but mock them when, at the head of their armies, they exhort their men to fight for their sepulchers and the gods of their hearths, for among such numbers perhaps there is not one Roman who has an altar that has belonged to his ancestors or a sepulcher in which their ashes rest. The private soldiers fight and die to advance the wealth and luxury of the great, and they are called masters of the world without having a sod to call their own.
- Tiberius Gracchus

Great man.
>>
>>580978
>great man
I imagine some kinda /his/ gameshow or maybe some kinda institution, and they have two signs.
They're shown the picture of a historical figure and a summation of their life works, then the /his/ person simply raises either his sign that either says "great man" or "not great man" and moves on to the next historical figure.
>>
>>580987
>great man
>I imagine some kinda /his/ gameshow or maybe some kinda institution, and they have two signs.
They're shown the picture of a historical figure and a summation of their life works, then the /his/ person simply raises either his sign that either says "great man" or "not great man" and moves on to the next historical figure.

Great post.
>>
>>580626
>Literally what every Roman said from the end of the 2nd punic war all the way to the fall of the empire.
And what every contender for the US presidency or UK prime ministership has said since the Second World War till... well, they're still saying it actually.
>>
>>580557
They wouldn't have been killed if they were right
>>
>>580557
I like the Gracchi, and I suppose they were in the right from a certain perspective.
>>
>>580557
Some of the hottest black men I've ever seen
>>
Proto-Communists.

The good kind.
>>
>>580601
he's a great pop-historian with a fun podcast.
>>
>>580560
The gracchi put power out of the senate.
>>
>>581006
It is hilarious to see the parallels in modern society.

2000 years ago, Romans were sitting around the forum and bathhouses shit posting about muh degeneracy and how good Rome used to be way back when and arguing over the meme status of the new consul candidate Publius Donaldus Trumpius and his message of "Make Rome Great Again"
>>
>>580557
More like 'in the left' :^)
>>
>>580557

Absolutely.

And we can infer this because baiscally all their policy was implemented posthumously.
>>
>>582778
>It is hilarious to see the parallels in modern society.
>>
File: image.jpg (279 KB, 1324x1672) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
279 KB, 1324x1672
>>582778
>Trump ever being elected

Feel the Bern
>>
File: bern.gif (3 MB, 451x250) Image search: [Google]
bern.gif
3 MB, 451x250
>>582864
>>
File: 20000.png (533 KB, 459x612) Image search: [Google]
20000.png
533 KB, 459x612
>the senate was so mad it ripped the legs off their benches and beat one of them to death
>>
>>582878
imagine how mad they must have been when Marius took his military reforms to the people.
>>
>>582864

FEEL IT
E
E
L

I
T
>>
>>582798
Haha, nice one.

>>580579
>Gandhi
>spoiled pervert

>MLK
>plagiarizing whoremonger

I don't even like the Gracchi, but your fucking insults are way out of line.
>>
File: indiaaliens.png (432 KB, 1304x1818) Image search: [Google]
indiaaliens.png
432 KB, 1304x1818
>>583553
Forgot pic
>>
>>582798
>If only you knew how bad it really was
>>
>>583554
Nice read.
>>
File: 1429758724841.png (12 KB, 414x353) Image search: [Google]
1429758724841.png
12 KB, 414x353
>>583554
>tfw this would be a great movie
I found it first.
>>
>>583634
Are you sure ?
>>
>>583648
I like that last image of the guy looking at pictures of his son in alien clothes.
>>
File: absolute madman.png (24 KB, 609x169) Image search: [Google]
absolute madman.png
24 KB, 609x169
>>582864
>>
>>580557
The original fire and brimstone populists, and there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>580601
He's the host of the Hardcore History and Common Sense podcasts.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.