[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was counterinsurgency like before the machine gun and modern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: force publique private.jpg (110 KB, 1145x1597) Image search: [Google]
force publique private.jpg
110 KB, 1145x1597
What was counterinsurgency like before the machine gun and modern platoon organization?
>>
>>580221
Generally far less discriminant on what was attacked. Basically, if you new insurgents were held up on a particular village, you just kill the whole village and burn it all to the ground. If you didn't kill the insurgents in the process, at the very least their supply source in that area is gone. Armies weren't exactly held to massively high standards when it came to humane treatment and such.
>>
Three Alls Campaign, Scorched Earth etc
>>
>>580239
>American wet dream

That literally never happened mate. CL warfare has always existed and will always exist.
>Strike hard who dares
>Shoot long who can
The odds are on the cheaper man
>>
"Kill everyone"
Refer to Spanish and American shenanigans in the Philippines.
>>
>>580261
I'm pretty sure that it's American actuality from the 1500's to when everyone got rid of all the natives and/or colonial powers.
>>
Napoleon's counter to guerrillas in the peninsular war was more guerrillas.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>580273
>Natives

They died out because of smallpox. Americans just generally like cleancut stories of good v evil and chess like battles when that doesn't happen
>>
>>580285
Nah. It was losing horribly and devoted most of its army in Spain to just guarding its supply lines.
>>
>>580289
Ok, then go to Wikipedia and delete this article on the 400 years of war fought between Western powers and Indians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Indian_Wars
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.