[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much do you americans know about him? Do kids in your country
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
How much do you americans know about him? Do kids in your country know who he was and what he stood for? I always had the impression he's extremely underrated not only as a political figure but as an interesting character as well.
>>
I first learned about him in the (very good) book "The War Lovers" while doing research for my thesis about the Spanish-American War.
>>
>>580207
That is sad. He was the pillar of resistance against the imperialist politics your country now holds. Only a distant memory remains of what could have been, but I guess is no good to educate your children, right? That way they'd surely be able to see how evil their beloved America truly is.
I hope I'm wrong and most Americans don't share your experience.
>>
>>580168
No, but I read a lot about the Spanish American war, and we recognize in many schools that the whole conflict was really just an excuse to take Cuba, and that any concern over the welfare of the Spanish treatment of the Cubans was an afterthought. We're taught it to be a textbook example of Jingoism and Yellow Journalism.
>>
>>581682
Barbara Tuchman's The Proud Tower gives an excellent account on this topic. Reed trying to hold it and how Mahan's book served as the perfect excuse to get onboard the imperialist hype train.
>>
>>580168
Kids in our country can't even spell the president's name. I watched a whole documentary on the Spanish American war to help a friend write a paper and I don't remember this guy. Sorry friend.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.