[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favourite special forces operation? Can be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: 1409080892806.png (890 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1409080892806.png
890 KB, 1000x750
What's your favourite special forces operation?

Can be anything, from WW2 to modern day wars.
>>
File: thousand yard stare.jpg (21 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
thousand yard stare.jpg
21 KB, 460x276
>>578291
Scaling of the cliffs at Point du Hoc

>tfw you hear that the men of the 2nd ranger battalion made a pact to not cry out if they fell so as to avoid compromising the operation.
>>
i find this operation to be very interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_raid_on_Larnaca_International_Airport
>>
>>578291
those dudes on the left are like 5'3
>>
My favorite is the one that we haven't heard of
>>
>>578291
you're not the boss of me, fuck off

>pic related: the most honorable, fierce, heroic and cohesive assembly of men ever created probably in the history of warfare
>>
>>579450
Unit 777 was generally high quality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_777

>In 1985, Task Force 777 was dispatched again to deal with a hijacking, this time to Malta.
>An Egypt Air Boeing 737 (EgyptAir Flight 648) had landed in Luqa Airport under the control of Abu Nidal faction terrorists, purportedly as retaliation for Egypt's failure to protect the terrorists that had hijacked the MS Achille Lauro earlier that year. Several hostages were released (11 person), and at least one Israeli woman was executed.[4]
>Although the operation was planned more carefully this time, the TF 777 operators committed several mistakes that would eventually prove fatal to many of the hostages.[5]
>As explosives were detonated to attempt to blow a hole on the top of the airframe, the explosion ripped through the cabin area, immediately killing 20 passengers.[6] >Using the same hole, the operators gained entry to the plane but in the confusion opened fire indiscriminately and killed and injured more passengers. In the ensuing chaos, passengers that managed to flee the plane were then gunned down by snipers in positions around the airport who mistook them for terrorists attempting to escape. >The total number of passengers killed was 57, out of 88 total.[7]
>>
Operation Entebbe
>>
>>579464
And yet they could still probably kill you with their bare hands.
>>
>>579699
LOL. What's the one military operation that Russia did where they killed a bunch of civilians. Think it had something to do with a hospital I can't remember
>>
>>579464
Most SF guys (at least in America, not sure about other places) are short to average height.
>>
>>579789
Stop right there. You were about to bring up either the Beslan school siege or the Moscow theatre siege. Neither of these are particularly good examples of poor SF responses.

I mean for comparison look at the Paris attacks where 3 attackers killed something like 130 people.
>>
>>579817
Wasn'ttrying ti imply it was just think that it's funny in its own twisted way. Just like how the first link in the thread of unit 777 Egypt stormed in without authorization got their commandos killed/injury but that by the time they even started the raid the hostages were already apprehended.
>>
>>579632
OP asked for special forces operations, not units. Also, I would consider the Old Guard (I assume that's what I'm looking at, my apologies if I'm in error) an Elite Unit, rather than a special forces unit.

That being said, I would agree that the Old Guard is one of the
>most honorable, fierce, heroic and cohesive assembly of men ever created
for any nations armed forces.
>>
File: Selous Scouts.jpg (226 KB, 432x536) Image search: [Google]
Selous Scouts.jpg
226 KB, 432x536
>Operation Eland was a cross border operation that took place in Mozambique in August 1976. It involved ten trucks and four armoured cars disguised as FRELIMO vehicles with 84 Selous Scouts. They first cut the telephone lines to the town and drove on to the guerrilla base. 84 scouts opened fire on the guerrillas at close range, killing 1,028 people in the camp.
>>
>>579870
Ah, yes. Pseudoterrorism.

Darkest of the military arts.
>>
>>579846
oh shit... you're right, i misread it
>>
>>579870
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBVDdr3wqm4
>>
File: tumblr_mkagqa6Jhp1rwe5u6o1_1280.jpg (621 KB, 1280x848) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mkagqa6Jhp1rwe5u6o1_1280.jpg
621 KB, 1280x848
>>579774
>full gear
>poor trigger discipline(middle)
>not in civilian clothing
>probably Rangers
Looks like a bunch of rookies to me
>>
>>579952
The operation was a huge success, but the Russians should have informed first responders and medics how to deal with the effects of the gas. There were 40 militants and 200+ hostages. I don't think there's another hostage situation that is comparable.
>>
>>579922
Ah, happens to all of us.
>>
Spartans.
>>
>>579997
If I'm being honest, Spetnaz did as good of a job as they could be expected to do with the situation, but the Russian government did a disgustingly poor job, which is to be expected from a country that makes Italy look like a model of good government.

Bonus points for the fact that some of the hostages that were rescued had to go to the European Court of Human Rights to get the Russian government to pay for crippling them.
>>
>>578291
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Nazaire_Raid

I believe it is known as Operation Chariot? I only glanced over the article to get a sense of the numbers of Commando's involved. However, just in brief...

>600-700 British Commando's and sailors attacked the dry dock at St. Nazaire on the Atlantic coast of France.
>Rammed part of the docks with a Destroyer loaded with time delay explosives
>Other commando elements landed to blow some other stuff up
>169 men were killed (105 RN and 64 Commandos) and another 215 became prisoners of war (106 RN and 109 Commandos)
>some elements had to be left behind, fought until they were out of ammo
>Destroyer blew up later the day of the attack or the next day, leaving the docks damaged for the rest of WW2 and as well as several years after
>5 VC's awarded, dozens of other awards as well

Probably of debatable (almost certainly very little) importance to the overall course of the war, I always thought it was neat. A fairly large scale commando operation that was also a success by objective/operational standards.
>>
File: african unifroms.jpg (1 MB, 1280x4079) Image search: [Google]
african unifroms.jpg
1 MB, 1280x4079
>>578291
Kabarebe Blitz my friend.
>>
>>578291
easy, British commando....remove cabbage, get laid.
>>
>>580134
sorry...British commando WW2 that is.
>>
>>580135
Any specific operation?
>>
>>580106
Medal of honour European assault opens up with this as the first level
>>
>>580177
Oh really? That's interesting, I had no idea, I'm gonna look that game up. I only played the original Medal of Honour. I think. And I think it started with the Omaha Beach landing.
>>
>>580129
This was actually quite interesting, though I find it surprising that Paratroopers are so easy and affordable to train. You'd need a significant number of I would imagine large aircraft, as well as fuel, plus other specialized equipment in theory.
>>
>>580225
Africa runs on old Soviet cargo planes.
>>
>>579632
Life is unfaaair.
>>
The tet offensive was pretty impressive. I still have no idea how it failed.
>>
>>580255
This. Africa is weird and interesting because it's leapfrogged a bunch of technologies.

Air Travel is more reliable and available than road and rail.

Cell phones are more reliable and prevalent than landlines.

Expect them to also have super green electricity in the future.
>>
>>580415
Well, there were 85,000 or so participants in the Tet Offensive.

There were around 550,000 US troops in Vietnam.

The intention was to spark an uprising in the South, and the people of the South simply didn't like communism enough to rebel.

That and Westmoreland, in the one fucking thing he did right in the entire war, anticipated the offensive and moved troops to keep the country from being split in half.
>>
Can't remember the name, but the GIPC (Gurkha Independent Parachute Company) literally slaughtered Indonesians in the Malay-Indonesian conflict. Bunch of other Gurkhas doing pretty fucking OP shit like that too.
>>
>>580255
>>580426
Huh, that makes sense. I suppose old Soviet equipment would be relatively prevalent as well as cheap. I should have taken some African History when I was in school. I was obsessed with Europe though, regret it to some extent.

>>580442
>>580415

This guy seems to know what he's talking about. The Tet Offensive didn't really have a chance of being decisive in a military sense unless the south revolted or just disintegrated for some reason. After the initial shock, I think the Americans hammered the NVA and/or the VC. It was still fairly impressive.
>>
>>580500
Nobody pays attention to African history.

I blame the hippies. They make it a humanitarian muh feels thing when there's a lot of fascinating stuff like Rwanda becoming the Israel of Central Africa, or Chad beating the shit out of Libya when the Libyans had tanks and the Chadians were in Toyotas, or Ethiopia and Eritrea fighting WW1 style trench warfare at the turn of the 21st century, with Russian and Ukrainian mercenaries flying migs overhead.

Lotta good shit.
>>
>>580514
You know you're probably right about the hippies ruining Africa for the rest of us.
>>
>>580514
That actually sounds very interesting... If you're telling it straight, I'm extra mad at hippies today. Fuckers and they're stupid focus on social history, rather than military and political history. Anything you can recommend in books or authors or even documentrary/film's? I would appreciate it, wouldn't know where to starts.
>>
>>579885
Is there an excepted definition of pseudoterrorism? I've heard the phrase used before but never properly defined.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.