[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is prehistory history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Thinking_face.jpg (28 KB, 500x414) Image search: [Google]
Thinking_face.jpg
28 KB, 500x414
Is prehistory history?
>>
File: 1270806873460.jpg (31 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
1270806873460.jpg
31 KB, 720x479
>>57821
if a thing happened but no one was there to write about it, did it make history?
>>
>>57821
Yes, there's a thread on it and the mods seem cool with it, especially as it relates to humanity.
>>
Is preheating an oven heating the oven?
>>
are pretenders tender?
>>
Is shitposting posting?
>>
Is pretension tension?
>>
>>57821
>Is prehistory history?
No, but its study through anthropology and archaeology are a humanities, and so belong here.
>>
>>57821
Its archaeology and anthropology, history is the writing down of events and the study of these documents. There's even proto-history, which I'd say is history.

Now is prehistory /his/? Yes.
>>
>>57821
is american pawn stars history?
>>
>>57821
surely that's considered natural history?
>>
>>59549

>All history is written history

No, that's a very poor definition of history. Any sort of document can be included in historical analysis, and modern history draws on anthropology and archaeology as well. Anglo-Saxon history, for example, uses written documents like the Tribal Hidage alongside consideration of artifacts like the Sutton Hoo burial. It's still history.
>>
>>57821
>prehistory thread
>turns into shitposting thread

Let me try to save it by asking questions to stir up discussion.
>where did the indo-europeans converge into one people
>when did they enter mesopotamia to merge with the locals
>what did they bring in inventions (the wheel, herding, dogs, etc) and what did they find there that the locals had invented (farming, pooling resources together as a community, having a "king")
>do you think writing evolved due to religion or due to business or due to government
>when do you think culture became organized religion, and how, and was it to help the "king" rule

Stuff like that. Go at it, lets see if we can talk about things other than if shitposting is posting.
>>
If you're not disgruntled, are you gruntled?
>>
File: C0026873-Chinese_man-SPL.jpg (46 KB, 391x530) Image search: [Google]
C0026873-Chinese_man-SPL.jpg
46 KB, 391x530
Is preaching Ching?
>>
>>60917
>>when do you think culture became organized religion, and how, and was it to help the "king" rule
If you're speaking of the Arya culture in the subcontinent, then king wasn't the topmost respected position. Professions were divided into four varnas, the nobles were at the top, warriors after that, then businessmen, then physical workers.
Adding to that, a life was lived in four stages, regardless of varna. The first stage was where a person is a child, he has to attend school(gurukul). The second stage was when he grows up, he gets married and starts a family. The third stage was old age, retirement. The fourth stage was superoldage, retirement from the world and going to meditate in the forest until death come.
>>
Yes. /thread

The autistic 'it's not history if it isn't written down' meme is almost as annoying as 'American isn't a democracy it's a republic'
>>
>>61273
America objectively isnt a democracy, and it is in fact a republic.
Do you even know what the terms mean?
>>
>>61791
It is both.

Why the fuck is this nonsense apparently on the us school curriculum?
>>
>>57821
Is the 8pm evening news just a tiny history lesson?
>>
>>59789
10/10

I just raged so hard I shit my pants

Worthy bait.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.