[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did saddam gas kurds and invade kuwait?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Why did saddam gas kurds and invade kuwait?
>>
Because the USA gave him secret messages saying it would be okay
>>
Because genociding kurds was the fashion back then (and still is around that area) and Kuwait had oil.

t. i just made that up
>>
>>577963
>>
>>577963
For oil since mosul is oil rich. He could've used that oil to fix his economy.
>>
File: 1452572672538.jpg (35 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1452572672538.jpg
35 KB, 320x320
This image always cracks me up
>>
Because he was allegedly told it would be okay (to invade Kuwait at least) by the US state department.

If true, one has to wonder whether the diplomat who told him that was just horribly incompetent, whether she was told to tell him that in order to lure him into a trap, or whether her superiors had said that in the past, but decided to do a volte-face and use this opportunity to pounce on Saddam.
>>
1) The Kurds were allied with the invading Iranians.

2) Saddam believed Iraq's true brofers included Khuzestan in Iran, Kuwait and the Shiite Eastern regions of Saudi Arabia.
>>
>>577980
Weird as it might sound but kind of this.
>>
>>578006
Oh my God is been five years since I saw that movie and I just now got the connection.
>>
>>577963

Saddam claimed that Kuwait, a small, oil rich nation, was rightfully part of Iraq due to a dispute over the British partition of the area back in the 1920s. The Kurds were long a thorn in Saddam's side so he decided to attempt to eliminate them.
>>
>>578031
I'd appreciate actually being able to see what it's about.
>>
>>577963
>gas kurds
Kurds had been rebelling against the Ba'athist state for years. He thought that chemical attacks would crush their insurgency.
>invade kuwait
Kuwait was a tiny but incredibly rich state that was being a thorn in his side by refusing to lower oil production (and therefore raise prices). He thought his vast military superiority would result in an easy win.
>>578545
>2) Saddam believed Iraq's true brofers included Khuzestan in Iran, Kuwait and the Shiite Eastern regions of Saudi Arabia.
It's extremely naive to believe out of hand in a war's official justification.
>>
>>577963
to get oil to uncripple economy and refund army
>>
>>578268
They thought he would just seize an Island or an oil field they didn't think he would seize the whole country
>>
>>578268
I'd read that the diplomat gave an evasive answer which Saddam took to mean it was cool.
>>
>k*rds
Triggered t b h
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.