[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody else feel guilty for the burning of Persepolis by Alexander
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 533x625) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 533x625
Anybody else feel guilty for the burning of Persepolis by Alexander the Great even though you're not Greek or Macedonian, but because you're white?

Because I kind of do.
>>
This is bait, right?
>>
Not sure if bait or not. To answer your question: no, I have no guilt when it comes to the actions of others of my race. I don't see the point of feeling guilt for the actions of others simply because you share the racial make-up of the perpetrators. Why feel guilt for things you did not commit?
>>
>>575662
>feeling guilty for something you didn't do
retarded
Also Alexander was a Macedonian Greek, IE not white.
>>
FYROM here
yes
>>
>>575690
No I'm serious.

Alexander destroyed so much precious history and culture by burning Persepolis. He was a westerner of European origin, we westerners are the heirs to his crimes. ALL Western people of European descent need to acknowledge this legacy of imperialism and cultural destruction.
>>
>>575690
>>575715
In short this is very much bait
>>
>>575715
The Persians burnt down Athens. He was getting revenge.
>>
Imperialism isn't a purely Western idea. Why feel guilt for things you had no control over? Should everyone everywhere feel guilt over the destruction of other cultures? Should everyone of Mongolian blood feel guilt over the destruction of Samarkand? Many societies of every race destroyed different cultures.
>>
>>575662
Kek lad, Persians are white
>>
>Persia dindu nuffin it was a good boy
>>
>>575715
No. That act is that more than 2,000 year past and long before westerners became an important distinction . Sure it was an abominable act, but no more abominable than the mongols sacking of baghdad, or "The burning of books and burying of scholars" perpetrated by the Qin Dynasty.

Alexander himself made a point to visit the tomb of Cyrus the Great and some historians suggest that the burning was an accident. So perhaps he was more respectful to Persians than we are giving him credit for?

Anyway it's been far too long for anyone to know for sure.

If wish for some cultural destruction to feel guilty about consider the destruction of temples and states in Palmyra by ISIL.
>>
File: Alexis-Tsipras_3180045b[1].jpg (45 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Alexis-Tsipras_3180045b[1].jpg
45 KB, 620x387
>>575662
> Greeks
> White

European, sure, but white? pls
>>
>>575662
You can feel sad, but guilty? No way.
Also, Iranians are more white than Greeks.
>>
>Leonidas and Themistocles are heroes, they saved Western Civilization, with Greece under Persian Rule there would be no Democracy, History, Poetry, Literature, NOTHING AT ALL.
>Alexander destroyed Persian empire and his successors tried to destroy Persian/Aramaic/Jewish/Egyptian/Anatolian cultures while trying to Hellenize the region? Who cares, these sandniggers had it coming.

Western historiography makes me sick.
>>
>>576628
>Iranians were more white than Greeks
fixed
>>
File: download (3).jpg (10 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
10 KB, 225x224
>>575662
>Greeks
>White
>>
Guys, all of you posting about how Greeks aren't white are forgetting something important:

Aleksandr Phillipovich was a Slav.
>>
Ancient Greeks were white but they've been thoroughly Turcified.
>>
File: images (5).jpg (8 KB, 306x164) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
8 KB, 306x164
>>576672
>Slavs
>White
>>
File: 1444217809110.jpg (17 KB, 255x218) Image search: [Google]
1444217809110.jpg
17 KB, 255x218
>collective guilt
>>
>>575803
>No. That act is that more than 2,000 year past and long before westerners became an important distinction . Sure it was an abominable act, but no more abominable than the mongols sacking of baghdad, or "The burning of books and burying of scholars" perpetrated by the Qin Dynasty.
All three are abominable acts.
>>
>>575662
0/10. But no, I don't give a shit that Alexander burnt down some Arab shithole
>>
File: 1412170260516.jpg (217 KB, 929x1200) Image search: [Google]
1412170260516.jpg
217 KB, 929x1200
>>575662
I feel proud.
>>
File: Cobra_GI_Joe_0.png (898 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Cobra_GI_Joe_0.png
898 KB, 1280x720
>>575715
>Alexander destroyed so much precious history and culture by burning Persepolis.

Compared to how much Alexander preserved in relation to what any other conqueror would have, I don't feel guilty at all.

Persepolis is remembered because it was his one mistake in an otherwise very lenient policy for a conqueror. Was it deliberate? Was it because he was drunk? We'll never know. Most likely an act of frustration after Darius had escaped him twice.
>>
>>576679
>Humans
>White
nice meme
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.