[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is suicide morally acceptable? If so, under what circumstances?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10
File: agony.jpg (629 KB, 2536x3104) Image search: [Google]
agony.jpg
629 KB, 2536x3104
Is suicide morally acceptable? If so, under what circumstances?
>>
Unless you're religious then it obviously is morally acceptable.
>>
File: rubumcube.jpg (60 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
rubumcube.jpg
60 KB, 480x360
>>575563
why is that obvious? are you suggesting that only religious people have moral objections to things? or is that only true for suicide in particular?
>>
>>575582
Try telling us why is suicide morally unacceptable according to you.
>>
File: based.gif (380 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
based.gif
380 KB, 500x323
Depends on your morals
>>
>>575552
Life is a choice
>>
File: gondaladeath.png (16 KB, 917x1186) Image search: [Google]
gondaladeath.png
16 KB, 917x1186
>>575597
if I had an answer I wouldn't be asking the question, anon

>>575602
what do you think according to your morals?
>>
File: 1424046380113.jpg (33 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1424046380113.jpg
33 KB, 1024x576
>>575552
>Is suicide morally acceptable? If so, under what circumstances?
acceptable only if you disengage yourself form your previous engagements.
AND
after you understand that there is no reason to die, just as there is no reason to live.

suicide is the faith of the hedonist [=the one who takes seriously the idea of self through emotions, ideas, conciousness...] in the cessation of life, but the suicidal person despises life much, only because he cannot get what he wants. suicide expresses greatly the faith in an ego. this is nice, but before your suicide, attempt to abdicate before your misery, it might change your perspective and anyway, if you really have faith in your future death, then you can endure a few years of pains, but then you equally understand that resentment, hate, greed are pointless.
abdicate before your misery. life does not matter, death does not matter.
>>
>>575552
Yes. Any.
>>
>>575552
It's only morally acceptable if it doesn't go against your religious beliefs and if you have no obligations or dependents.
>>
>>575552
>Is suicide morally acceptable?
Yes.
>If so, under what circumstances?
Whenever you wish it. Perhaps not if you are a parent caring for a minor child, but even that is debatable.
>>
>>575552
In philosophy, at least secular philosophy, it is generally agreed suicide can be the best option for some scenarios, and the worst option for others. You can read "The Myth of Sisyphus" for an interesting perspective on all of this.
>>
>>575552
No, it is morally imperative.
>>
File: 1423184253148.jpeg.gif (1006 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1423184253148.jpeg.gif
1006 KB, 500x333
>>575552
I personally would say suicide is only acceptable when your own death will save other people. Like if the only way to save a room full of people from a grenade by jumping on it.

But other than that, it's retarded. Killing yourself because you don't enjoy life just means you need to improve, not remove it. And from a Catholic standpoint, you can't repent a suicide. Any other sin, it's possible to truly feel remorse and repent, but if you kill yourself, that's it. Straight to judgement time.

It all depends on your own morals, but those are mine.

And anon, if you're feeling any suicidal thoughts, talk to someone about it. Anyone is better than no one. Maybe a suicide hotline, or a religious figure in your neighborhood, like a pastor. Even if you think it's the right thing to do, know there's at least one person in this world who's life would be worsened by yours leaving.
>>
>>575552
No, it's never morally acceptable. There is no good to be gained by it, only loss of what goods happen to remain.
>>
>>575597
You're usually making circumstances worse for people around you that cared for you, social debt since expenses were put into raising you.
How is this even a question?
>>
>>576272
is it ok to suicide for hitler ?
>>
Is euthanasia morally acceptable?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixtab
>>
>>575552

Morality is relative. But generally as long as your suicide brings no grevious harm (physically, mentally or even financially) to others then there shouldn't be a problem. Your life is your own, even to end if that is what you choose to do.
>>
Bit off topic this, yeah?
>>
When you are the op.
>>
>>576620
It buffles me that people don't consider it morally acceptable

I also hate that you cannot kill aborted babies. WHAT IN THE FUCKING WHAT. Why would that be illegal? isn't it the whole point of abortion? No, letting it suffer is more humane

>>576728
a bit fuck you retard
>>
>>575552
Yes
every single time
your life is yours to take.
>>
>>575552
Does it matter? you are litterally killing yourself.
>>
>>575614
>life does not matter, death does not matter.
getting mixed signals from your post here anon
>>
>>576312
The living keep requiring expenses.

From an economical standpoint, sometimes it's just better to cut losses than waiting for an investment to turn around.
>>
>>575552

Under the "duty to society" tab, where many people fill in their morals, suicide would be acceptable in your old age.
You will have worked, created offspring, helped your offspring start a life, helped your offspring care for their own offspring, and stopped working.
At this point, after around 60 year old age, you arent useful to other people and would be morally justified to end your life if you feel inclined, since you only continue to live for yourself.
>>
>>575552
>morally
>>>/pol/
>>
>>575552
Ever since God reveled himself in human flesh ( Jesus ) it is indeed immoral to suicide. People had an excuse until then - what if life is meaningless - why not stop it now instead of going trough pointless process.
>>
>>577772
are you serious, familia?
This is a philosophy board.
Are ethics no longer a part of philosophy?
>>
>>575552
Without explicitly answering OP's question I want to bring up suicide under the condition that one is suffering under a terminal illness. The "right to die" so to speak has been tossed around the medical community right now and companies aren't quite sure how to handle the situation. In practice, a patient would be ending a suffering living a life already cut short.

Would this scenario not reinforce the acceptability of suicide? Generally most of the post vindicating suicide give the reason that one's life is theirs to take.
>>
>>575612
Why the fuck would you presume that any given thing is morally unacceptable then? You should presume things are morally acceptable until proven otherwise

Your question should have been "Is suicide unethical?"
>>
>>575552
It's fine as long as you don't have kids or debts
>>
>>576250
This

>live in a world where unsustainability is basically flooring the gas peddle to extinction
>pretending to live an ethical life without killing yourself immediately
>>
>>580159
>it is moral to kill yourself to avoid extinction
>everyone kills self
>extinction brought about by action that was moral because it avoids extinction

B R A V O
>>
In some cultures no matter the religion it is acceptable especially within cultures that have an honor code. No matter the religion they follow. Its the honorable way out.
>>
>>575552
I think personally it heavily depends on the situation at hand. If a father or mother of 4 decides to call quits leaving broken family behind then for me I would classify it as immoral.

In the other hand we have either a drug addict or a person suffering from a painful terminal illness, if both parties was to commit suivide then to each his own.
>>
>>575552
>not a single picture of Stirner

i'm suprised
>>
>he wants others to tell him what is and isn't moral

if you are able to kill yourself then you should
>>
>morality
>>
File: stirner.png (27 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
stirner.png
27 KB, 500x500
>>580636
The pictures are there, but they're spooks.
>>
>>575552
honour
>>
Read Epictetus' discourse on suicide, this will provide you with an argument against suicide
>>
File: 1450829759854.jpg (345 KB, 1104x1600) Image search: [Google]
1450829759854.jpg
345 KB, 1104x1600
>>580111
>>Would this scenario not reinforce the acceptability of suicide?
the euthanasia is a diversion, by the liberals, from the question of suicide. the quesiton of suicide has two facets
-the suicide from depression
-the suicide from philosophy

suicide form depression is dealt by the liberals in giving people drugs.

suicide form philosophy is not dealt by the liberals, therefore is the most dangerous to the human rights, precisely because the perspective of the philosophical suicide lies outside of the doctrine of the human rights: this perspective says that human rights are nothing but conventions and makes the liberals standing before their contradictions: the one where they are not able to justify their authority, just like the liberals complained that kings were not able to justify their authority
[in fact, kings justify their authority by their lineage, which pisses off the liberals'; the liberals justify their authority poorly in saying that ''the people wants us, the liberals, to be in power''; the trick then is to carefully select what they call ''the people'']
the nice trick by the liberals is to obfuscate their authority into an implicit one, more compatible with their hatred of explicit authority [=tyrannies] : they claim thus that the human rights are natural, that any humans think that the human rights make sense [with the faith that they will be backed-up by their faith in what they call science] and anybody disagreeing on this is not a human, but an animal [=a reactionary].

so the suicide outside of depression is dangerous, because it shows that liberals cannot counter the lack of motivation to live. the liberals prefer to focus on suicide from pains: this one enables them to say that ''the human suffering'' must be answered by... science and faith in the human rights, in one word, the occidental humanist doctrine. pain/suffering is always the decisive motivation to get things form the society, in a liberal society.[as minorities, workers...]
>>
Of course it is it's your life you can't be imoral to yourself.
>>
>>575552
>If so, under what circumstances?

If literally no one loves or cares for you
If that's not the case, then it's immoral
>>
>>575552

When life is so horrible that not living seems like the better alternative.

Then it's acceptable.
>>
It depends on the culture. The Japanese used to think it was the only honorable way out. (Even now it's not looked down too badly if you fucked up or shamed your entire family).
If you're Christian though, no. your life is not truly "yours" to take."
>>
>>581289
G.K. Chesterton said that suicide is not only a sin, but is THE sin, and that the man who kills himself is killing all men and the whole world

or something like that, i don't know if he's right or wrong but it's a pretty interesting point of view
>>
This is the dumbest question. it literally doesnt matter if you kill yourself. Why the fuck should you care if others deem it to be moral or not? You're fucking dead.
>>
File: marcus__aurelius.jpg (161 KB, 715x988) Image search: [Google]
marcus__aurelius.jpg
161 KB, 715x988
>“If the house is smoky … quit it. Why dost thou think that this is any trouble?”

Marcus Aurelius,
-For myself
>>
>>582490
>gk chesterton

Noice

The gallows in my garden, people say,
Is new and neat and adequately tall;
I tie the noose on in a knowing way
As one that knots his necktie for a ball;
But just as all the neighbours–on the wall–
Are drawing a long breath to shout “Hurray!”
The strangest whim has seized me. . . . After all
I think I will not hang myself to-day.

To-morrow is the time I get my pay–
My uncle’s sword is hanging in the hall–
I see a little cloud all pink and grey–
Perhaps the rector’s mother will not call–
I fancy that I heard from Mr. Gall
That mushrooms could be cooked another way–
I never read the works of Juvenal–

The world will have another washing-day;
The decadents decay; the pedants pall;
And H.G. Wells has found that children play,
And Bernard Shaw discovered that they squall,
Rationalists are growing rational–
And through thick woods one finds a stream astray
So secret that the very sky seems small–

ENVOI

Prince, I can hear the trumpet of Germinal,
The tumbrils toiling up the terrible way;
Even to-day your royal head may fall,
>>
>>575614
A Lil confused but I kind of get where u were going with that.
>>
>>575552

Is is morally acceptable to needlessly harm yourself? Suicide is the logical extension of self-harm.

I would think not, but desu I haven't thought too much about it.

Moral truth is absolute btw.
>>
>>576272
>Like if the only way to save a room full of people from a grenade by jumping on it.

that's not suicide, that's sacrifice above and beyond the obligation and call of duty.
>>
>>576272
I like the last paragraph. Not like some of these dicks that tell u just do it.. you will never know how the smallest words can impact a person in a suicidal depression.
>>
>>576272
>Any other sin, it's possible to truly feel remorse and repent

not capital Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit

Matthew 3:29
>>
File: 1449795922906.png (42 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1449795922906.png
42 KB, 240x240
Acceptability is literally a spook. People would hold you subservient to this because it either brings them pleasure or they mistakenly think it will.

For many they would rather you suffer a lifetime of misery than deal with the consequences of it.

If you follow that Anons (>>576272) advice you legitimately run the risk of involuntary committal to a mental institution. So make of that as you will.

Discuss suicide seriously in anything but the most sterile academic conditions and even then hostility and you run the risk of being declared mentally ill which is the weapon of choice in the modern age.
>>
For a cynical laugh take a look at the following and see how religious folk can justify the suicide of women and the murder of childern when it suits their latent nationalism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_of_Zalongo
>>
>>576272
>Killing yourself because you don't enjoy life just means you need to improve, not remove it
>I think people with terminal illnesses or facing dementia need to simply suck up and suffer through years or even decades of complete misery because they can improve their lives despite crippling diseases damning them to endless pain or complete mental degeneration.

What a cunt.
>>
>>576276
>only loss of what goods happen to remain.
you should know this can be the complete opposite, and if not, you're retarded.
>>
>>580163
There is a 0% chance, and I actually mean a 0% chance, that you could convince even a million people in one area to all kill themselves, much less the whole fucking world you clod. Lots of folks including Jews argued for collective suicide of Jews during the holocaust, and obviously it didn't catch on because it defies every sociological inevitability.

I was talking about individual ethics.

Quote the part of my post where I advocated for a global extinction. I'm waiting nerd
>>
>>582501
>ethics is something you do for social brownie points
Kill yourself
>>
>>582617
>Suicide is the logical extension of self-harm.
Except that self harm increases linearly until it hits the binary breaking point, suicide, after which there literally isn't any harm that can be experienced

Your conceptualization of what suicide is is fucking dumb
>>
Kill yourself if you want to
You can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends aren't dead and if they aren't dead then they're no friends of mine
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.