[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did the idea of fantasy Druids turning into animals come
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
Where did the idea of fantasy Druids turning into animals come from? As far as I know that wasn't a part of the Celtic beliefs.
>>
>>574263
Not theology, legends:
http://smokeandmirrors34981.yuku.com/topic/4113/Shapeshifting-in-Celtic-Myth#.Vp1fAx-i02d
>>
>>574263
D&D
>>
Druids were monotheists.

Fat, middle aged American women are ruining the memory of those men by making up loads of bullshit.
>>
Metzen
>>
File: what.jpg (29 KB, 316x339) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
29 KB, 316x339
>>574323
>Fat, middle aged American women are ruining the memory of those men by making up loads of bullshit
Splain yo'self
>>
>>575411
Anon's referring to the celtic revival and the speculation about the ancient religions which goes along with it.
>>
File: ugh.jpg (59 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
ugh.jpg
59 KB, 500x330
>>575411
>>575613
They've turned it into a fanfic.
>>
>>575628
oh god eww
>>
>>575411
Druids were basically a Celtic priestly class. They were the ones that carried out rituals and knew the intricacies about how the religion worked. Most average people didn't, so very little is known about what "Druid religion" actually was. As a result, all modern new agey druid-themed stuff is all made up.
>>
>>576043
They were also political leaders, diplomats, judges and keepers of the tribe's oral history.
>>
>>574318
This.
So many things come from D&D.
>>
>>575411
>>575628
The original Celtic society was a matriarchal cuckoldry capital so I'm not shocked in the least its modern versions attract obese feminists.
>>
>>574323
>Druids were monotheists.
no they weren't you mongo.

You're right about fat mid-life crisis hippies though, fuck them. They always move ad here and fetishise our culture, it's fucking gay.
>>
>>577869
>The original Celtic society was a matriarchal cuckoldry capital so I'm not shocked in the least its modern versions attract obese feminists.
no it wasn't.

For fuck's sake, why are people so clueless about the celts. If you fall for muh heritage and wicca memes you should kill yourself
>>
>>577889
It was.

>Boudica
>Madb
>Cartimandua
>Roman records outright saying that Celtic society was promiscuity central and feminized to the core, with women giving themselves to foreigners and their men becoming cuckolds / homosexuals
>females leading armies and occupying high positions of power (often resulting in a thundering failure)
>King Arthur, the legendary Celtic hero is not only a cuck himself, but also a product of cuckoldry (Uther Pendragon fucking Igraine)

It's true that Druids themselves were almost exclusively men, but they don't reflect Celtic society as a whole.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 485x617) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 485x617
>>577869
>Celtic society was matriarchal
Top fucking kek, nice job falling for Jewish memes. It was absolutely patriarchal and homosexuality was punished by death.

"Oh see white man the ancient celts were feminists, you should be too !"
>>
>>577911
Celtic is too wide a classification here. I'm mainly discussing Gaels personally; but even so those examples are cherry-picked.

Gaels were not cuckolds, and Medb is semi-historical at best. Read the Táin Bó Cúailnge, she's a cunt and her character is more than likely a poetic exposition of why women shouldn't rule/have power.

I dare say most of it is "Anglo-Saxon" propaganda.
>>
>>577927
The ancient Celts were the laughingstock of the world.

>homosexuality was punished by death

No, those were the Germanics. Posidonius travelled Gaul and described the Celts as a bunch of raging homos. You know it's bad when a fucking ancient Greek thinks you're a faggot.
>>
File: Dullahan.jpg (41 KB, 375x355) Image search: [Google]
Dullahan.jpg
41 KB, 375x355
Celtic mythology best mythology.
>>
>>577889
>For fuck's sake, why are people so clueless about the celts.
Tell the druids to leave more historical records.
>>
What the hell is with this board's obsession with "cucks" and "cuckholdery", grow the fuck up.
>>
>>578960
/pol/ influx
>>
>>577911
>>Boudica
a rare exception
>>Madb
You clearly haven't read TBC. Half the book is a diatribe about how women are unfit to rule
>>Cartimandua
rare exception
>>Roman records outright saying that Celtic society was promiscuity central and feminized to the core, with women giving themselves to foreigners and their men becoming cuckolds / homosexuals
Julius Caesar is not an unbiased source. homosexuality was less shunned though.
>>females leading armies and occupying high positions of power (often resulting in a thundering failure)
practically never happened
>>King Arthur, the legendary Celtic hero is not only a cuck himself, but also a product of cuckoldry (Uther Pendragon fucking Igraine)
Lancelot was a French insertion and not in the original welsh tale. Also, nothing to do with Matriarchy, in fact it implies the opposite.
>It's true that Druids themselves were almost exclusively men, but they don't reflect Celtic society as a whole.
They do though. Women did not occupy any positions in Celtic society.

>>577927
Homosexuality was not punishable by death but Celtic society was far from matriarchal

>>578960
>What the hell is with this board's obsession with "cucks" and "cuckholdery", grow the fuck up.
/pol/ has a weird fetish.
>>
>>578960
Cuck spotted.
>>
>>577869
/pol/ is thattaway!
>>
>>579111
>buzzwords

Blow it out your ass.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.