[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were the 50s - 90s some of the greatest decades in human history,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: kodachrome_1964_lg.jpg (237 KB, 1200x776) Image search: [Google]
kodachrome_1964_lg.jpg
237 KB, 1200x776
Were the 50s - 90s some of the greatest decades in human history, in terms of what was accomplished relative to the time frame?

Never before has such a short time period caused such a massive production and output of scientific development, cultural, artistic, and social merit, never before seen.

Just think back to what we as a race accomplished within those 50 years.
>>
>>573342
>American history it's universal.
>>
Thomas Piketty's Capital.

Basically, the post-World War II boom caused a spike in productivity that will never be equaled until we change an economy to one that doesn't reward death by giving the overall growth of the rate of capital a lower increase than the average return on investment.
>>
Yes, especially between 50s and 70s.
>>
>>573342
Probably.
Also the most significant surge in the foundations of nation states worldwide.
>>
>>573342
>Were the 50s - 90s some of the greatest decades in human history?
To who?
>>
File: rognlie.png (46 KB, 580x960) Image search: [Google]
rognlie.png
46 KB, 580x960
>>573383
flawed methodology, economists that can't make it big on the stock market shouldn't be allowed
>>
Also the golden age of popular music.
>>
ok
>>
>>573864
To everyone.
>>
>economic stagnation
>massive amounts of social tension
>nothing to do

Don't believe the propaganda.
>>
>>576138
Yes, that sums up the 2000s and 2010s pretty well. But what about the 50s-90s?
>>
>>576143

Go on then, tell me what was so great and if you give me your shitty idealised movie nostalgia goggle list, I'll know you're a fat neckbeard.
>>
>>576138
>>nothing to do
I might agree with the others, but this is bullshit. just because there's no fucking internet or facebook doesn't mean there's "nothing to do".
>>
>>576147

Then tell me what. Go on.
>>
>>573875
>net value added among rich countries
>rich countries
get it?
>>
>>573342
>continuous proxy wars that nobody supports
>constant threat of nuclear annihilation
>civil rights movement and feminism
>urban sprawl
>unsustainable social spending
Sounds like Hell to me, senpai.
>>
>>573864
2005 and up is complete utter shit.
>>
>>576145
Examples of some of the things developed/invented in this period

Computers
Mass Air flight
Space travel
The Internet
The welfare state/universal healthcare
Popular antibiotics (>Florey and Chain succeeded in purifying the first penicillin, penicillin G, in 1942, but it did not become widely available outside the Allied military before 1945.)
Full understanding of DNA

A reaching argument could be made for the mass adoption of cars too but that kind of started in the most developed countries prior to the 40s.
>>
>>579358
>Popular antibiotics
We're paying for that today.

>The welfare state
If you're serious, I hope you realize that's serious bait.
>>
I don't think that it changed the face of history as much as the Industrial Revolution tbqh
>>
Just talking about the USA:

>race riots and subsequent white flight
>Korean war
>Vietnam war
>1968 boomers invading the academia and the media
>crime spiking to unreal levels
>manufacturing industry collapsing, transforming the "industrial belt" into "rust belt" and pretty much the whole midwest becoming a shithole
>nuclear tension
>red scare
>sexual revolution
>drug epidemy

It was all around shit at least compared to now
>>
>>573342
>cultural merit
wtf even is this
>>
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
>>
>>573342
>Just think back to what we as a race accomplished within those 50 years.
The third world growing a factor or two of magnitude over its previous carrying capacity in the span of ~3 generations?

Because enabling that is really coming back to bite the first world in the ass right about now.
>>
>>579459
It certainly had its ups and downs, but I think the main difference is that demoralization hadn't taken place to the extent it has today. Willpower is not to be underestimated as a driving force of civilization
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.