[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Constantinople
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Byzantium814.jpg (92 KB, 683x358) Image search: [Google]
Byzantium814.jpg
92 KB, 683x358
What went wrong and what can aspiring societies of today learn from past mistakes to forge a stable civilization outside of the white homeland?
>>
I think we all know the answer, by the way.
>>
File: 1349614751832 - Copy.jpg (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1349614751832 - Copy.jpg
54 KB, 640x480
Too many wars, too few allies.
>>
>>57293
That was the white homeland you moron. Armenians, kyrgistanis, Azeris, Syrians, etc are white. The Turks were invaders.
>>
>>57550
>That was the white homeland you moron.
Anthropologists point to somewhere around Belarus, actually, but I was referring to Europe in general.
>>
>>57293
Now it's Istanbul.
>>
>>57675
Not Constantinople?
>>
>>57710
Ain't nobody's business
>>
>>57293
It wasn't a single, identifiable thing that went wrong. It all happened because the Rome fell.

If the Western Roman Empire didn't fall, There wouldn't have been crusades to call on by what was left of the Roman Catholic church -- because there wouldn't be feudalism and all the internal instabilities that come with it.

And if there aren't any crusades, the sacking of Constantinople would've never happened.
>>
>>57733
Actually, the traditional name was "Kostantiniyye," a Turkification of "Constantinopoulis." "Istanbul" is believed to derive from a a saying meaning "the place," and was a common informal name for the cultural and political center of the empire. The city was still known as Constantinople until the post-Ottoman Turks insisted that the west start calling it "Istanbul" after they adopted the Latin script.
>>
>>57675
That's the main problem.
>>
>>57976
Maybe they liked it better that way?
>>
>>58274
>They
There's the root of the problem.
>>
>>58367
It's nobody's business but the Turks
>>
>>59323
do you guys seriously not know the song?
>>
>>59421
Why are you shitposting on /his/?
>>
>>57293
Looking east instead of west for military assistance. No Muslim nation could be trusted past a single generation.

The later Komenians turning their back on the alliance with the Holy Roman Empire, flying in the face of everything established by Alexius in terms of geopolitics, was the first real nail in the coffin of Byzantine expansion.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.