[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So we've had /his/ for a while now. This is my first post
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: 1421434698028.jpg (690 KB, 1425x1260) Image search: [Google]
1421434698028.jpg
690 KB, 1425x1260
So we've had /his/ for a while now. This is my first post on this board, I was giving it a few months so all the memers and retards from /pol/ would go away.

What's the verdict on /his/ so far? Any intelligent discussion to be found?
>>
I love the economics and political conversations everyone has. They are incredible.

Not sooo much the Historical threads, but I'll pop in a WWII discussion every now and then.
>>
>>572826
It needs less religion and atheism threads and tards

>create /rel/ see >>571958
>>
Too much religion shit. I'd be fine if they discussed actual theology or some sort of relation between a sect/religion on history but they don't. It's always moronic baiting and petty arguments.
>>
>>572826
There are two distinct groups here that I've seen: the liberal minded college students (such as myself) and very conservative religious folks (mostly orthodox christian). There's a smattering of other groups including a growing population of /pol/ shitposters but the real problem is the arguing about religion of the two above mentioned groups
>>
>half of it religion/nietzsche shit
>most of the rest pop history and always the same threads
>"lets talk about WW2" "who is da best general eva" "hitler did nothing wrong" "history based vidya gamez" "i dont want to read books, can anyone redpill me on this topic"

If you look at the catalog, most threads have just 5-6 posts and are then dieing.
The general level of discussion is also pretty low with mostly only a very basic understanding of the topic at hand if at all.
>>
Too many Christposters and Commies desu.

If you want to roleplay LE EPIC ORTHODOX CRUSADER or LE RED ARMY COMMISSAR then take it to /tg/.
>>
>>572826
Some history threads are good, the humanities part is almost complete dogshit. Thanks christians.
>>
>>572826
Source on image?
>>
>>572826
You'll get a good discussion if the subject is not a meme and relatively little-known. You'll get epic threads on the Second Congo War or the economics of the Incan empire, but as soon as you get to stuff like WWII or Christianity, it's shitposting central.
>>
Atheist shitposters.

They need to make a seperate board called /ath/ or something.
>>
The history is mostly shit, honestly. The philosophy and religion threads have just moved from /lit/ and stayed the same or even worse, and the best advice about history you can get from this board is to just read actual historians.
>>
>>572826
>retards from /pol/ would go away.
Why not invite them in while you're busy making your premier post?

Wouldn't have anything to do with how slow the board is, would it?
>>
>>573126

This
>>
Jesus christ it's worse than I thought. Maybe I'll give it another few months and try again.
>>
The problem of the religious vs atheist fights is not an issue regarding God or theology.

It's about perspective on history.

Christians believe in the factual 6000 years.

Atheists believe in billions of years, Flintstone monkey stories and pop-sci garbage.

It's a battle between world-views.
/his/ has to choose what world-view to view history with, before we can have any discussion on any historical event.
>>
File: revelation.jpg (109 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
revelation.jpg
109 KB, 1024x768
>>573181
>Christians believe in the factual 6000 years.
Nope. Stop projecting.
>>
If only we had a little moderation we could purge all the shitposters and religion deb8 threads
>>
>>573185
Only retarded lukewarm/liberal "Christians" believe in evolution.
>>
>>572888
this. Discussion about religion are awful, full baiting uneducated faggots like >>573181 who don't know what they are talking about. Adding humanities to /his/ was retarded idea. There are only few threads with intelligent discussion.
>>
>>572826
Lewd
>>
File: 14248497757400.jpg (177 KB, 731x1024) Image search: [Google]
14248497757400.jpg
177 KB, 731x1024
>>572826
>>
I go on /pol/ for bants and political news/memes, but I come here to actually debate. I've only had one mature discussion on /pol/.
>>
>>572826
turned out ok, people discussing catonians and the courageous mongol genghis rather than pure shitposting
>>
>>573179
>Jesus christ it's worse than I thought. Maybe I'll give it another few months and try again.
It will only get worse.
>>
>>572826
It's ok.
The historical side is pretty good, especially when it comes to military history; I learned quite a lot about this particular topic.
The philosophy side is rather amateurish but when it's bona fide it's alright.
Some social science threads are also good, and I enjoy the general academic banter too.
Don't really care much about the religion bit, but some of it at least looks shitposty.
I'm still undecided about whether or not we need /hum/.
>>
>>573181
Oh my god fuck off and get cancer.
>>
>>572826
Lots of interresting stuff that would have 404ed and shittrolled waaaay too fast on /pol.

Srsly had some outstanding threads from time ot time but for fucks sacke give those atheist vs religion and religion a vs religion b spammers an own board. That shit is only acceptable here in terms of influence on HISTORY not as of now up to general debate.

All in all, could have been worse. Saved some good photos, got some awesome reading materials and websites to read on and got even a little more useless information into my head. So yeah, been worth it so far, but lots of room for improvement.

Thanks for anyone bringing quality threads on this board so far.
>>
Atheist vs. religious shitposting is annoying. Threads on religion that don't get combative between these groups (or religious threads that aren't full of different denominations baiting each other) are alright. Sometimes it's fun to learn about the intricacies of this shit. I could do with more threads where informed people talk about Islam.

Philosophy threads have been fun or at least a little edifying to me.

Pop history threads often become garbage but whatever.

Slightly more obscure history stuff can get good. We simply need a slightly larger population to get these threads moving, and to get them more often.

Overall I'm real happy we have this board.
>>
File: 1452737046274.gif (37 KB, 200x194) Image search: [Google]
1452737046274.gif
37 KB, 200x194
>>572826
All the specific history and military history threads are great. I've actually learned new shit from them. The philosophy threads are, even if they inevitably degenerate into flame wars. And I strongly dislike all the religion/atheism threads. Waste of time tbqh. Overall, I'm glad based Hiro added it.
>>
>>572888
Can't stress this enough. The trips don't lie.

The roleplaying retards who barge into religion threads need to be removed. And would you look at that, we've got one with us right here
>>573181
>>573223
>>
File: Consider the following.jpg (29 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Consider the following.jpg
29 KB, 200x200
Guys - here's what we do - we make the atheists vs. religiousfags threads a general, and we put it in the sticky that ANY topic vaguely related to the existence of God etc. goes there. Any thread created that isn't the general gets 404'd immediately.

That way, the middle school atheists and christians get to fling shit at each other, whilst the rest of the board gets cleaned up for proper historical / religious discussion.
>>
>>574028
This. Containment thread pls.
>>
>>574028
nice idea but it won't make a bit of difference, because the problem isn't those threads in general (you can always hide them) but that these fucks invade actual religion discussion threads.
>>
>>574037
It's worth a shot. Make it a bannable offence to post religious shitposting in non-general threads.
>>
>>574052
i don't know how that would be enforced though, it would have to be on a post-by-post basis and that would be beyond tedious for a janitor/mod.
>>
>>572826
I like it. There's a good mix of banter and serious discussion.

I don't think the religiousposting is as much of a problem as most people think.
>>
>>573223

protestant detected

your heresy is literally retard tier btw
>>
Excessive amount of whining about opinions people think are /pol/ or tumblr and lots of pointless arguments about religion or philosophy.
A bit slow for my tastes, but its much less depressing than /pol/ so I'd say I like the board overall.
>>
>>572826
Military history threads range from serviceable to god-tier. Based /k/ommandos know their shit.
>>
>>574156
>/k/ommandos who know history come here
FTFY.
History threads on /k/ are laughable.
>>
>>572826
I only ever liked /pol/ back when it was /new/ for the kinds of conversations like the ones you find on here. So stoked this board exists.
>>
>>574156
>/k/ommandos

there is nobody from /k/ here
>>
>>572866
Less religious threads on here and pol would be a blessin
>>
This board is one of the more mature, a lot of posters manage to ignore most of the low quality bait.
And the actually history being discussed , especially when it's more obscure, is top notch.

The religious generals aren't even a problem, it's the religion/atheist bait threads that cause the problems
Unless it's history of religion, mods should confine those posts to the general.
>>
>>572888
Pretty much this.
>>
>>574028
That's a shit idea. Atheism v. Theism threads is a cancer to itself that we cant treat by simply allowing it to be in one place. Like, /pol/, it will spill over everywhere else.

Atheism v. Theism threads need to change to discuss the philosophical systems themselves. Instead of "argue for your god and I'll tell you why you're wrong" focus on both sides arguing the legitimacy of their worldview as a whole.

>If they accept or reject a god or gods, what do you they mean by that
>How does their worldview work under these circumstances?

It would open up the discussion tremendously if people pushed for such a thing to occur instead of very shallow theism v. atheism fights where the very concept of divinity being discussed isn't even clearly labelled ahead of time.
>>
I don't even get the point of religious threads. There's no discussion to be had. Religious people operate on faith, not evidence. The belief relies solely on and primarily on this. The argument isn't on even ground so much as it is in different fucking galaxies.
>>
>>574221
>where the very concept of divinity being discussed isn't even clearly labelled ahead of time

forget that, the atheists won't even define their own position.

>gnostic theism agnostic atheism agnostic theism gnostic atheism

to hell with the cuck sam harris bait just look at a goddamn dictionary you stupid faggots
>>
>>574221
I agree with this. Contentious issues or discussions that lend themselves to shit posting and the like should be banned and deleted on site unless the nature of the discussion is clearly defined in the OP. Ie: holocaust needs to have a specific focus of discussion, religion vs atheism needs to have a specific focus, and the discussion must be about something that can actually discussed. Faith vs evidence is not and cannot really be a discussion. The nature of morality in relation to theism vs anti-theism/agnosticism can be.

Suprisngly though, outside of those two subjects /his/torians have been pretty good about having relatively high level discourse.
>>
>>572826
/x/ with dates
/pol/ without dates
/int/ without flags
>>
>>572826
Actually, all we have to do is shove religion back to /lit/ unless it really is history
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.