[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the mechanism that translates cognitive feeling e.g.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: 1447507215851.jpg (141 KB, 543x405) Image search: [Google]
1447507215851.jpg
141 KB, 543x405
What is the mechanism that translates cognitive feeling e.g. pain or sight into qualia that our consciousness experiences? Why does red look red?
>>
>>572567
the brain and nervous system
>>
>>572567
this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_problem_of_consciousness
>>
File: Daniel-Dennett1.jpg (67 KB, 2100x1397) Image search: [Google]
Daniel-Dennett1.jpg
67 KB, 2100x1397
>>572574
Fucking #rekt
>>
File: candito.jpg (170 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
candito.jpg
170 KB, 1920x1080
>>572567
Is that Candito?
>>
>>572567
>>>/sci/

Look I know that board is shit and it's just a bunch of unifags with the occasional legitimate thread that ISN'T homework help, but I'm honestly getting a little tired of all all the psychology questions as of late, especially when they aren't even attached to a historical figure.
>>
>>572689
>Implying the hard problem of consciousness doesn't have implications for the humanities

>Implying you even frequent this board

>Implying you're not a faggot
>>
>>572689
>i don't understand the Hard Problem
>>
File: slightly disgusted psychologist.jpg (133 KB, 780x1077) Image search: [Google]
slightly disgusted psychologist.jpg
133 KB, 780x1077
>implying anyone gives a shit about the Hard Problem
>>
>>572574
>>572673
but what's the connection
>>
>>572739
Hard materialist; consciousness is an "illusion" of the brain
>>
>>572739
brain percieves, nervous system transmits
>>
File: 1451992057896.gif (1 MB, 198x252) Image search: [Google]
1451992057896.gif
1 MB, 198x252
>>572689
>psychology is /sci/ and not /his/
>>
>>572744
> Consciousness is an "illusion" of the brain
> You're merely imagining that you're imagining!
hurr durr
>>
>>572744
>>572756
This doesn't make any fucking sense. How can it be an illusion, something is still experiencing the illusion.
>>
>>572756
transmits to what
>>
>>572744
what is the real connection between synapses and qualia then
>>
>>572829
conciousness of course
>>
inb4 low IQ STEMlords think qualia is the same as Platonic Forms

>>572896
stop being a faggot please this is a place of serious discussion
>>
>>572843
Nobody knows.

Only one quantum theory (Orch-OR) is out there, but nobody takes it seriously
>>
>>572961
>Orch-OR
I've only just skimmed the wikipedia article, but I don't understand how they're coming up with all these weird hyper-specific functional details considering this is a completely untestable dude-what-if conjecture
>>
>>573026
Hence, the reason why the "Hard Problem" is named that way.

Current science doesn't have a clue on how neuronal firing in the brain generates qualia/subjective experience. One can only speculate
>>
>>572739
When we know how that shit is encoded, we have no idea.

Until then, stop looking for things that aren't there like qualia
>>
Dennett is a blight on all discussions of consciousness. Herpa derpa you're hallucinating your inner world lmfao SCIENCE
>>
>>572820
Consciousness as a coherent thing is the illusion (I think).

You are the continued arousal of neurons, there is no central (you) stored anywhere.
>>
File: Chrysanthemum.jpg (859 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Chrysanthemum.jpg
859 KB, 1024x768
Hey guys

I claim to experience qualia

So doesn't that mean there is another feedback loop AFTER qualia?

We can't picture a "soul" residing outside the brain passively experiencing its states and calculations

because the brain in that scenario would be ignorant of qualia

so somehow the physical brain is consulted again after the qualia stage?

either that or... what?

pic unrelated on someone else's computer
>>
>>574740

Self-examining feedback loops are one take on the solution, sure. They even make a decent amount of sense.
>>
>>574754
The trouble is it means communication between brain and 'soul' has to go both directions, it rules out picturing qualia as the passive experience of your brain.
>>
>>574778

By the current understanding, there is only the brain, examining input and its reactions to that input. Not sure what you mean by 'soul'.
>>
>>574815
whatever mechanism does the experiencing of qualia.
>>
>>574822

The phenomenon of qualia is in itself the "illusion" of consciousness. There are no discrete packets of conscious experience. Consciousness arises from changes in the physical state in the brain. A snapshot of the position of every single particle in a brain at one point in time does not constitute a person, because no change is happening.

The mechanism that "experiences" qualia is the set of feedback loops that examine and re-examine sensory input.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.