[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the invention of the wheel a needed step for society to go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1439859817610.gif (2 MB, 574x374) Image search: [Google]
1439859817610.gif
2 MB, 574x374
Was the invention of the wheel a needed step for society to go on? IIRC, most sources say it's an individual invention that just spread, probably originated around Ukraine a lot of time ago. The wheel was never a thing in the Americas before european conquest, so, do you think had they been left alone, would they eventually had to come up with it?
>>
Yes. Look at the abbos
>>
>>571150
The incas did okay without the wheel, they just developed crazy long distance running skills.
>>
>>571415
Those fuckers could get fresh fish for the Inca, who lived in Cusco, like, really far from the shore
>>
>>571415
And people living on the Great Plains made travois, connected them to dogs, and had them carry shit.
>>
>>571415
>>571423
Nah you would have runners every few km theyd just run it to the next guy like the fireman system
>>
>>571150
Most likely yes, that's a a necessary step. Technical and scientific advance was largely depending on free flow of ideas. That flow went around trade routes which were dependent on ships and wagons. Without large scale trade, progress would bog down, which seems to be the case with Mesoamerican civilizations.

The truth is however even weirder. Mesoamericans actually did know the wheel. They simply used them in children's toys and never got the idea to use them for transportation.
>>
>>571457
It wasn't that mesoericans never got the idea; they didn't have large domesticated animals to pull carts so rather than have people pull them they chose to simply cut down the amount of stuff to be carried and have runners do it quickly or large, slow trains of slaves for what couldn't be moved quickly.
>>
>>571150
>wheels
>in the Andes
>in the jungle
>>
>>571150
>saving my gif
holy shit, I didn't know it became a thing. no one responded to it originally.
>>
>>571613
There were lamas, alpacas and other camelids available. Some of them were domesticated and used as pack animals.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.