[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After lurking /His/ for several months I've seen serval
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 552x345) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 552x345
After lurking /His/ for several months I've seen serval times the association of Modern Britain with irrelevancy. This leads me to my question; what the hell even is a relevant country?
There's the US which is obviously undisputed, but then it gets vague and then vaguer. For example Russia is because of its military might, but is not because it's not the same as the USSR's. Secondly China which is the main rival of the US is, because of that reason but is not, for lack of global influence. Then from a historical context I've seen the likes of Italy (a major axis power) being considered un noteworthy and not of concern, for military failures, while the possed a serious military threat at the beginning of the war. Britain my original example possess one of the worlds largest GDPs, global naval and military deployment capabilities, and an enormous cultural hand fails to solidify its self on perceived sovereign relevance in the minds of many. Is there any solid benchmarks to define a nations relevance in the geopolitical game?
>>
>>570511
>what the hell even is a relevant country?

France
>>
>>570511
>and an enormous cultural hand fails to solidify its self on perceived sovereign relevance in the minds of many

Still trying to appropriate America's achievements I see
Back to /int/ Nigel
>>
Nobody is relevant but nuke holders bexuse of muh mad.

We are in a meme phase of history, itll either end with a cataclysm, or more likely, a perma cucking
>>
File: serval.jpg (107 KB, 600x896) Image search: [Google]
serval.jpg
107 KB, 600x896
>>570511
>>
>>570511
>what the hell even is a relevant country?
A country with military,economic, symbolic, or political power significant enough to have an influence on other countries. For example, Indonesia can be considered significant in Southeast Asian affairs due to its presence as a regional military power. However, the reach of the Indonesian military is limited, so it cannot, say, invade Morocco for shits and giggles. Therefore it is less "relevant" in that regard than the United States, which can easily conduct military operations across the globe simultaneously. And that's just "relevancy" in a military sense. Countries like Switzerland undertake no military operations at all abroad, but have great economic influence due to investments abroad.
>>
The relevance of a country is like saying the charisma of an apple.
>>
>>570511
Britain but also Germany and especially Italy have perfected the art of subtly influencing the world while encouraging others to deny that they are doing so.

Military aside, it's amazing that everyone tends to forget how economically important Italy is, for example.
>>
>>570511
> Lurking /his/ for several months
Fuck me have it been that long? Anyway the answer is always France.
>>
>>570571
how
>>
File: france.jpg (122 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
france.jpg
122 KB, 960x540
>France is le relevant
1940 worst day of my life never baguette
>>
>>570585
>Beatles
>Rolling Stones
>100 other bands that were #1 in the US
>Harry Potter
>Lord of the rings

and that's just media orientated culture. Still trying to understate Britain's power I see Hanz.

I'm Canadian BTW
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
>>570585
>>570649
this way my Captcha btw

where iz zie sauerkraut
>>
I don't know why people keep saying France is relevant, the only relevance they have is dicking around in former colonies to try and play police, their economy has been surpassed by the British again, and all that keeps them in the news is terrorist attacks

I don't get it /his/, the British have more soft power as well through the commonwealth of nations and clearly seem more relevant with their global ties, how is France relevant at all other than fighting terrorists in the Sahara, or is this some American meme
>>
>>570627
Read basic French history, they were the top dogs of Europe for almost half a millennia and are still pretty influential today considering they're one of the only European NATO countires with a sizable millitary
>>
File: FrenchRevolutionaryWars[1].png (52 KB, 1357x628) Image search: [Google]
FrenchRevolutionaryWars[1].png
52 KB, 1357x628
>>570627
They fought against the rest of the world and won.
>>
Here is how I view the nations

NATO aka USA and its satellite states
Russia
China
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/pol/61340859
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.