[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gimme some books to read to get into history Pic unrelated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 520x650) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 520x650
Gimme some books to read to get into history
Pic unrelated
>>
File: 2a.jpg (2 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
2a.jpg
2 MB, 3672x3024
Start with the Greeks.

One must know philosophy to a degree, as history is best understood in the context of the thought of the time.
>>
>>570002
Based, I'll pick those up
>>
File: Bismarck.jpg (234 KB, 734x1000) Image search: [Google]
Bismarck.jpg
234 KB, 734x1000
The Origins of the Second World War - A.J.P Taylor

Greeks are for fags let's be honest, the real fun is 1707-1991

The enlightenment, the birth of modern philosophy, Colonial wars, the first large scale wars in Europe, the birth of the USA, the collapse of the Spanish Empire, the rise of Napoleon, the age of nationalism, the industrial revolution the shift in the European balance of power, the unification of Italy, the American Civil War, the birth of Germany, the rise of the Japanese Empire, the scramble for Africa, the alliance system WWI, the russian revolution, the growth of radical politics, the rise of fascism, the rise of Hitler, the second world war, the cold war, the fall of the Soviet Union, the birth of the new world order

WWII is the easiest and best to start with

G E O - P O L I T I C S
>>
File: 2b.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
2b.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
>>570034
Another version. Just get what you're interested in and try to be as complete as possible.
>>
>>570043
Most of that stuff I already have a decent basic knowledge of though.
I'm talking about shit like the Punic wars and the Crusades and stuff.
>>
>>570069
But a 'decent basic knowledge' is nothing, you need to go deep into it, how were people feeling at the time, the politics of the individual nation, what let to the births of these wars and movements, 'hitler lose land want more again nazis wwii' is only the tip of the iceberg' its better to focus in and know as much as you can on a certain period than have a basic knowledge of everything, find something you really like
>>
>>570154
Gimme some books to read then
>>
>>570002
All you need to know is that The Greeks believed in a bunch of sky fairies that would come down and fuck people and then return and fuck each other a lot. And they would also intervene in war and turn tides of battle.

Also, they were originally all Egyptian gods.

There you go, now read The Histories.
>>
>>570312
Poseidon wasn't.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.