[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will he be remembered, or was he just a fad in the eyes of history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: histopher_kitchen.jpg (247 KB, 1127x914) Image search: [Google]
histopher_kitchen.jpg
247 KB, 1127x914
Will he be remembered, or was he just a fad in the eyes of history?
>>
Our great grandchildren will find out.
>>
Well apparently he himself was ok with just being blinked away from existence.
>>
His brother will be remembered as the last representant of old British values. Christopher was just a typical Trot with no historical impact whasoever.
>>
If you were to only consider his activism and significance as an atheist, he is undoubtedly immortalized right next to Bertrand Russell and Thomas Paine and (eventually) Richard Dawkins. Dennett and Harris, on the other hand, don't come close to that.

Considering everything else? He will be remembered as one of THE most important journalists of the 20 AND 21 centuries.
>>
>>570404
>atheist
>immortalized
Uhhhh.... Isn't that the whole point of atheism? To do away with notions of the afterlife?
We could all build countless statues and even name cities after talent-less hacks like Hitchens here, but according to him none of that should really ever matter because he's dead.
>>
Did Hitchens falseflag when he said waterboarding wasn't torture?
>>
>>570547
How does false flagging even apply in this context?
>>
File: images (2).jpg (3 KB, 114x90) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
3 KB, 114x90
>>570539
We don't build statues of Caesar or Churchill or Gandhi because we want they approval from the afterlife, we build them to honor and celebrate the the things they did, or take pride in their accomplishments.
And atheism isn't some kinda unified philosophy, it just means you aren't sold on the existence of god. That doesn't mean the idea of legacy or immortalization can't be comforting.
It's not about what Hitchen wants, it's about what people that liked or hated him want.

Also I can't see how you can call him talentless, you might think his aims and ideas were stupid and edgy, but he was undeniably one of, if not the greatest orator of our age.
>>
>>570565
>Oh no! waterboarding definitely isn't torture!
>get media attention for being a famous rational with a stupid, conservative belief
>do stunt to see how waterboarding feels
>OH SHIT IT IS TORTURE!
>gives attention to american torture practices ezpz
>Additionally detracts attention from the issue of whether torture is justifiable, which more people are actually arguing than "waterboarding isn't torture"
>>
>>569634
>Will he be remembered, or was he just a fad in the eyes of history?
He will fade away. Literary immortality is a myth. Soon no one will read him, and those who read him dont have the intellect to get his message (besides a "lol, religion", anyways)
>>
>>569634
>father of the modern anti-theist movement (Dawkins is more of an atheist than an anti-theist, although they are both both)
>father of the modern American anti-circumcision movement
>produced by far the most compelling arguments in favor of the 2003 Iraq War
>wrote the most frequently sited anti-Kissinger book in the world
>literally the only man to speak ill of Mother Teresa

I don't think he'll have any trouble being remembered.
>>
>>570588
I don't Hitchens is the kind of guy who likes being wrong, ever.
>>
>>570612
>Literary immortality is a myth.
And yet.. so many people are remembered for their works, so what the fuck? How could you possibly believe this when reality blatantly contradicts your statements?
>>
>>570612
>Literary immortality
>a myth
I doubt anyone is going to forget Shakespeare any time soon.
>>
>>570693
never mind Shakespeare, Homer went through a couple of downfalls of civilisations and still came out alright
>>
File: 1452976307479.jpg (71 KB, 414x499) Image search: [Google]
1452976307479.jpg
71 KB, 414x499
>>569634
>supported Iraq War
>said Saddam Hussein supported terrorism
in the trash it goes
>>
>>569634
no...just a temporary edgelord attention seeker
>>
>>570612
>Soon no one will read him

People will still watch him on youtube.
>>
>>570539
Him being "immortalized" isn't an afterlife you religious idiot. It's this concept you might not understand called "a real thing". People remembering you after you die is a real thing that people are actually doing. The Christian afterlife is an unproven fantasy.

No the "whole point of atheism" has never been "Make sure you don't remember me after I die. Why would you suggest it is? That makes no sense at all.

His entire life was spent trying to so something WORTH remembering because he knew there was no afterlife.

You are either a pathetic troll, or a complete imbecile to post what you just posted.
>>
HOW

HOW DARE

HOW DARE YOU

HOW DARE

HOW
>>
>>570758
>doesn't support the Iraq War

Confirmed for isolationist faggot who doesn't recognise a threat when he sees it.
>>
>>572315

> muh yellowcake
> muh SCUDS
> muh chemical weapons
> muh evul dicktator
> muh terrorism

After the glorious BTFOing of Iraq in 1991 who exactly did Saddam pose a threat to?
>>
File: 1449425477196.jpg (16 KB, 450x320) Image search: [Google]
1449425477196.jpg
16 KB, 450x320
>>569634
Plan on getting a movie made about his life, especially in his early years. So id hope not just a fad. Man was a fucking legend.
>>
No, he will not be remembered. I barely see people talking about him today. Which is perfectly fine considering he didn't have much of interest to say and was of mediocre intellect. Just another pop-intellectual celebrity "argue-man" with undeserved attention warranted to him by people who have all their thoughts told to them (but still think these are their own).
>>
Just another generic fedora tipper.

He will me remembered as a joke, burning in hell.
>>
>>573898
He was a fantastic writer though. Thats what i found most appealing.
>>
File: 1452190642308.gif (607 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
1452190642308.gif
607 KB, 500x330
pic related is the one we gonna remember
>>
>>570640
Yes anon, one out of millions of millions of people is remembered because of some writing of his, youre right, shoot for the stars ;)
>>
>>570160
>implying peter will be remembered as anything other than a cunt
>>
>>574310
Hitchens is one in a gorillion.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.