[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this guy the poster child of psychology?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 750x645) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 750x645
Why is this guy the poster child of psychology?
>>
>>567353
First attempt to scientifically systematize face to face counseling methods for patients with psychiatric disorders. Emphasis on unconscious mental processes being the cause of psychiatric problems. Eventually leads to cognitive behavioral therapy, which has helped countless patients around the world without resorting to medication or incarceration.
>>
Because he started psycho analysis. Most of his shit was wrong but much in the way of early philosophers, he gets a lot of credit for trying.
>>
>>567374
I heard his ideas had a longer and more useful lifespan in philosophy. Does anyone know if there's any veracity to this?
>>
>>567378
Yeah, and also literary criticism. Because the real problem with his work scientifically speaking is it's 'not even wrong.' It's stuff that can't be stripped down into empirically testable phenomenon.
>>
>>567378
In arguing against his ideas, feminist philosophers and phenomenologists developed a lot of new things. But these days Freud is not studied except as an example of pseudo science by philosophers of science.
>>
>>567378
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/freud-as-philosopher/?_r=0

Here's an opinion piece on that very subject. I wanted to take out one specific part to highlight it but it won't let me copy and paste from my phone so here's the link.
>>
>>567353

The unconscious.
>>
>>567387
>feminist philosophers

kek
>>
>>567387
>these days Freud is not studied except as an example of pseudo science by philosophers of science
How would you rate the sociology program at evergreen state college, are you enjoying it?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.