[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which of the Greek city-states is your personal favourite? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: griegos01.jpg (90 KB, 579x700) Image search: [Google]
griegos01.jpg
90 KB, 579x700
Which of the Greek city-states is your personal favourite?

I like the Thebans the most, but that might be a hipster choice.
>>
File: 214321.jpg (144 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
214321.jpg
144 KB, 720x405
I'd go with Macedon
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 199x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 199x300
>>566940

Phrygia because of their hats and because of the antics of King Midas.
>>
>>566947
> Macedon
> Greek
>>
Corinth
>>
>>566947
they're a kingdom not a city state, they weren't part of the polis system.
>>
>>566947
>Macedon
>City State
>>
Ithaca
>>
>>566954
Not a city-state
>>
ITT: /his/ has no clue what a city-state is

I like Corinth
>>
>>566970

Ok, then I pick Scheria
>>
I'm gonna have to go with Selucia.
>>
>nobody mentions Athens or Sparta
>"look at me, I'm such a special snowflake hipster faggot"
>>
>>566992
Athens and Sparta were literally gay.
>>
>>566992
spartans were cultureless retards and Athens was, well no Athens is a perfectly fine choice.

Spartans are just for edgelords though.
>>
File: corinth.jpg (157 KB, 900x606) Image search: [Google]
corinth.jpg
157 KB, 900x606
>>566958
Only correct answer.

This is a reminder that Corinth was the only city-state that hated Athens so much they fought the Spartans because the Spartans wouldn't help them destroy Athens.
When the Greek city-states overthrew their priest-kings early on in their history, they made moves to the types of governments that would define them. Athens had democracy, Spartans had oligarchy. Corinth had a fascist fucking dictatorship. Cypselus did nothing wrong, and his son Periander is known as one of the Ancient Greek Seven Sages. Notice I said that Cypselus did nothing wrong and not Periander. Periander definitely fucked up, because he kicked his wife down the stairs and killed her. Then, the only son he had that was qualified to rule ran away to their colony and was killed by the damned colonists.

But whatever. Corinth definitely wrecked some major shit. They were the richest city-state in the earlier period, and definitely contributed to the instability in the region later on, with one of the major instances of city-state fuckery named after them, "The Corinth War".

The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long, though. The Romans came in and put every male Corinthian to the sword in 150?BC.

Definitely the best city-state, though. Defined the region in that era, kicked the shit out of their overrated neighbors for a while, and definitely deserved everything they got.
>>
Cimmeria

>tfw no hybrid Greek Scythian city state
>>
>>566958
>>567008

This.
>>
>>567008
>you will never ride around Corinth in your chariot all day looking fabulous
>>
File: Athenian tears.jpg (97 KB, 640x836) Image search: [Google]
Athenian tears.jpg
97 KB, 640x836
Sparta.

They had the finest warriors.
>>
>>567008
>personal favorite
>only correct answer
>>
Do colonies count? Because if so, Massilia.
>>
Christian Greece > Pagan Greece
>>
Thermiscyra
>>
>>567035
Ugh.
>>
>>567040
Your mom is ugh.
>>
None.

Persia.
>>
>>567035

Let's just agree that they were both better than modern Greece.
>>
>>566940
Athens because it was the only one that wasn't fucking garbage and actually did something with itself, every other one fucked off making memes of themselves while Athens made something of itself, much like America relative to Europe.
>>
>>567031
If it was any other answer, then it wouldn't be my personal favorite then. Therefore, my personal favorite is the only correct answer. Are you stupid or something?
>>
>>567067
>OP asks what is your personal favorite
>hur durr all of your answers are wrong
>forgetting that thread meant to be subjective to each anon therefore there should be no competition/argument/debate

Excusable if English is not your primary language.
>>
Whichever one had the most unique weapons and armor
>>
>>566940
Sparta of course.
Melon lobe plebs
>>
>>566947
It was a Greek kingdom,like Epirus.
>>
meme choice but Sparta 2bh
>>
I would say either Pergamon or Corinth
>>
Sparta, inb4 300
>>
>>566940
Rook arike desu.
>>
Syracuse
>>
>>567439
This nigga knows what's up
>>
>>566940
thebans. they fucked each other in the ass regularly, but they are also fucked other greeks on the battlefield
>>
>>567008
Nice
>>
>>566970
Not even greek
>>
>>566940
« Urbem Syracusas maximam esse Graecarum, pulcherrimam omnium saepe audistis. Est, iudices, ita ut dicitur. »
>>
>>568448
Pagondas was a LAD
>>
>>567047
Kek
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.