[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Israel/Palestine/Judea/Caanan aside, has there ever been another
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Flag-map_of_Egypt.png (29 KB, 457x457) Image search: [Google]
Flag-map_of_Egypt.png
29 KB, 457x457
Israel/Palestine/Judea/Caanan aside, has there ever been another country occupied so many times? Greeks, Romans (and then Byzantines), Moors, Ottoman Turks, British, even the Israelis had a go during the Suez Crisis.

What is the appeal of Egypt anyway? I know it's in a part of the world where East meets West, but is that really why it's so well fought over?
>>
It's one of the first and iconic civilizations.

It's just exotic.. Egypt is like a whore
>>
>>565863
The Nile river valley
>>
>>565863
>Suez crisis
Which they lost. Isnotreal is the most overhyped country in history
>>
>>565863
if you capture the pyramids you get a bonus to food storage
>>
>>565872
So was Greece, but for most of it's history it's been wholly autonomous, Roman/Byzantine, Ottoman and WWII eras aside.
>>
>>565881
Is that an Age of Empires or Rise of Nations reference?
>>
because they got BTFO by God in Exodus
>>
>>565863

Since the late 19th century it has been important for the Suez Canal. I don't know that it's been occupied much more than, say, Libya, Anatolia or Iraq, but this would invite a complex question regarding the meaning of "occupied."

Certainly "occupied" in the 20th century refers to something very different than the kind of imperial domination by conquest or tribute of classical Islam, and both are in turn different from the imperialist domination of France and Britain. Each of the conquerors you mentioned came in very different ways.

I'd say that with areas of the world which are as old as Egypt it's obvious why they have been ruled by so many different states/empires/kingdoms.
>>
>>565890
Pretty sure you got it the other way around.
For most of its history, Greece has been under foreign rule. For most of its history, Egypt has been under native rule.
>>
>>565894
I think it's a Rome: Total War reference
>>
>>565863
>What is the appeal of Egypt anyway?

Agriculture and an abundance of riches. It was the Roman province with the highest income for example.
>>
>>565912

Dear friends, please notice that words like "Egypt" and "Greece" are historically flexible.

Greece sometimes means Macedonia, but more properly refers to Attica and the Peloponnese. Then again, Ionia, which is in modern day Turkey, is undoubtedly Greek.

Rameses II is of course an Egyptian Pharoah. But he had nothing in common with the Egyptian Fatamids.

In fact Egypt and Greece occasionally refer equally to the same thing: Alexandria, Hellenic Egypt, Minoan civilization.

If one is to talk on such a large scale, one must be careful about terms.
>>
>>565941
No, that doesn't change anything about what I said.
>>
>>565863
>a country occupied so many times
Pretty much the entire middle east from Egypt to Iraq changed hands as many times between Romans, Greeks, Persians, Arabs, Mongolians and European imperial powers. And that's not even counting anything before Alexander the Great since my knowledge of that period is more iffy.
>>
>>565956
>>565956

Don't be childish, and please don't pretend like you're qualified to speak in such broad historic terms. I don't care to debate the mangled point you're making (words like native are constantly disrupted in history's long motions of conquest, settlement, intermixing, assimilation, immigration etc.)

Just try to have an educated discussion. If you can't speak in such broad terms (I can't and I don't think anyone can) then make your claims more specific.

Talk about Ottoman Egypt vs. Ottoman Greece, something like that. It would be more interesting, more fruitful. And don't reflexively argue anything and interpret everything as if it were an argument against you. This is how stupid 4chan debates start.
>>
>>565981
Oh yea and Ottomans.
>>
>>565986
It seems you have literally been educated stupid. Please pull your head out of your ass and realize that Egypt has been "wholly autonomous" for most of its history.
>>
>>565999
>>565999

>educated stupid

This isn't a thing.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.