[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
americuck who just graduated high school here i was never taught
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: stop looking at me like that.jpg (106 KB, 682x1024) Image search: [Google]
stop looking at me like that.jpg
106 KB, 682x1024
americuck who just graduated high school here

i was never taught about the japanese concentration camps/slavery in the U.S. can /his/ enlighten me?
>>
>>565811
There were no concentration camps in the US. We did relocate Japanese to camps, but they were not slaves, or kept in squalor. I'm not saying it was a good thing, but if the Holocaust is a 10 on a 1 to 10 scale of warcrimes, this was like a 2.
>>
>>565859
I see. Well I that's enough info for me, thanks. If anyone has anything else to add though i'd be glad to read it
>>
>>565859
That's what concentration camps are. They are camps for concentrating people.
>>
>>565946
"concentration camp" is used interchangeably with "death camp" considering the Nazi usage.
>>
>>565950

Then the concentration camps used during the Boer war weren't concentration camps.
>>
>>565859
Germans didn't really plan to keep Jews on squalor until Britain joined the war and they were forced to choose between feeding their own soldiers or the Jews.
>>
File: eternal anglo.jpg (25 KB, 490x313) Image search: [Google]
eternal anglo.jpg
25 KB, 490x313
>>565969
So you're saying the holocaust was caused by the eternal?
>>
I graduated a while ago and Japanese internment was mentioned. Public school should be even more PC white guilt now than then.

Japanese were allowed in the military throughout the war.
>>
>>565811

Summary:
Les racistes on the West Coast convinced the Feds to intern Japanese and Japanese-Americans living on the Pacific Coast. This was not motivated by real fear (at least at the government level), as evinced by the fact that the vastly larger and more strategically critical to Japan and the Pacific War (Hint: where was Pearl Harbor?) Hawaiian Japanese population was largely not interned. Further evidence that we should blame les racistes for it can be seen in the fact that we only interned a much smaller fraction of Italian-Americans and German-Americans, in spite of the fact that we were also at war with Italy and Germany. (Google also indicates that multiple government studies had found that Japanese-Americans weren't likely to become a fifth column) An awful lot of internee-owned property wound up sold at a pittance.

IIRC there was a relatively small amount of forced labor - one of the camps was used to build facilities for a new Indian reservation.
>>
>>566667
Germans and Italians had already been living their for generations you dumb faggot. All spoke english and we're very well integrated or concentrated in small rural towns.
Chinese and Japanese immigration was relatively new and they liked to retain their culture more and we're a much MUCH smaller portion of the population.
Get the fuck out.
>>
>>566038
It probably depends on where you go to school. I went to school in the PNW, and were learned all about the slavery and the Japanese internment camps (sometimes in pretty gruesome detail). Native American stuff was glossed over, but everything else wasn't.

I imagine the same wouldn't be true in Texas.
>>
>>565811
All that really happened was the Gov hearded all the Japs on the west coast together so they could keep an eye on them, because they were paranoid about them betraying America. Wasn't the right thing to do, and a lot of people lost their homes/possessions in the process, but it was certainly not a death/slave camp.
>>
>>566793
>>566667
thank you both very much
>>
>>565811
>having to graduate high school to find this out
I did a research project on the European theatre of war in 6th grade as "extra credit" ( read - I was bored), and though America and Japan were on the Pacific front, I did learn about a lot of us policies on the Homefront.
Either way, they really aren't worth mentioning, especially in a curriculum like public schooling. What relevance do they have?
Maybe if we put Iraqis into camps during the 90's/00's, sure. But I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.
>>
>>566902
They do have some relevance when talking about FDR's policies. People tend to forget about the internment camps in order to make him look good.
>>
>>566758
>I imagine the same wouldn't be true in Texas
not true, graduated just last year and can confirm they really rubbed it in our faces
>>
>>566938
Let the PNWfag revel in his enlightened intellect, it's his substitute for the sunlight which his state is deprived of.
>>
>Dosent know half of all west coast states are desert
Kek
>>
>>566922
The Interment Camp were pretty Tame compared to the stuff that the Other Roosevelt did to the Filipinos in the name of "White Man's Burdern"
>>
>>565811
What horrible school did you go to? I was taught that shit in middle school and onward, and I live in the dirty south.
>>
>>566667
Not only japanese living in the U.S., but as 1800 japanese living in Peru and 400 elsewewere in latin america were taken against their will and placed in those concentration camps.
>>
>>566667
holy shit so close to
>>566666
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.