[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In terms of military prowess who was the better commander Ca
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
In terms of military prowess who was the better commander Caesar or Alexander the Great?

Cesars greatest victory

Battle of Alesia
Strength
60,000 Legionnaires vs 180-300 thousands Franks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU1Ej9Yqt68

Alexanders greatest victory

Battle of Gaugamela

47,000 Greeks vs 52,000 -100,000 (modern estimate) 250,000–1,000,000 (ancient sources)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOin08k4KFc

Seems like in terms of raw battle coordination Alexander wins but in terms of cunning Caesar does.
>>
>>811991
Alex is undefeated and accomplished victories on a much larger scale, plus he seized an empire while Jules quashed tribal chiefdoms.
>>
Alexander

how is this even a question? any cesar victory is more of a roman victory
All alexander victories are alexanders
>>
Tactically, I'd say Alexander. Logistically and Strategically, Caesar.

What was one of Alexander's biggest skills was his very energetic movements with his army and his plans. Caesar himself should provide a match for this, as he famously was very bold and a very much "suprise" commander, plus the Legionaries were far more superior in terms of deployment, fortifications and supply trains.

>>812045
He also crushed several German alliances, the entire Egyptian army, and managed to defeat the enemy Roman Legions with minimal casualties to the civilian populations (in Rome's case anywyas, not so much for the Gallic fucking shits). That's a lot of playing fields.
>>
>>812081

I would tend to agree with you with the expectation of logistics. Rome had built roads to every place it conquered while Alexander had to supply his army hundreds of kilometers from the harbors where the goods were offloaded and transported while being protected as to not be cut off. Such a feat is amazing by todays standards its like crate dropping supplies from the air every hour. Cesar could depend more on the land for resupplying his men too.
>>
>>811991
>Caesar vs Franks at Alesia
Wut.
>>
>>811991

>Franks

you fucking wot m8
>>
>>811991
I would say Alexanders greatest victory was at the Hydaspes, he came close to loosing it
>>
Politics
Caesar > Alexander

Commander
Alexander > Caesar
>>
>>811991
Thats a pretty loaded question imo. If both commanders are using the same armies of their time, then Caesar would obviously win. The legion was designed and drilled to adapt to changes on the field, something a phalanx simply can't do. Who fucking knows how Alexander would have handled his own legion or Caesar his own phalangite army.
>>
>>811991
Marcus Crassus, you unshaven greek faggot
>>
File: M516029.jpg (58 KB, 326x512) Image search: [Google]
M516029.jpg
58 KB, 326x512
>>812292
>>
>>811991
>alexander
>hoplites instead of macedonian phalanx
>wearing roman armor
>bracers
JUST
>>
>>812099
>hey guys let's march through a desert
genius
>>
>>812292

Crassus was the worlds greatest rich idiot.
>>
>>813335

Crassus was Caesars friend too
>>
Remember this though: Romans actually defeated the Macedonians and it doesn't matter if you have great strategy if your guys have equipment that won't work on the other. Persians also had awful tactics btw at least tribes used guerilla
>>
>>815639

Yeah but by that time the Phalanx was totally ineffective for use. Legions were quite maneuverable compared to a hundreds of men with super long pointy sticks very easy to flank.
>>
>>811991
>Alesia
>Franks
Please stop posting.
>>
I don't know about military prowess but Caesar was a MUCH better politician than Alex
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.