[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who was the most impressive human being in recorded history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 27
Who was the most impressive human being in recorded history?

Some names I was considering:

>Gauss, Newton, Einstein, Michelangelo, Beethoven, Shakespeare.
>>
Jesus.

How is this even a question?
>>
Yeshua Messiah.

The annointed one.
The messiah.

Iesous.
Jesus Christ.
>>
Me
>>
Oswald Mosley duh
>>
Darwin. The discovery of evolution killed god.
>>
Plato, Heisenberg, Goethe, Leibniz, Imhotep
>>
>>563742

The Buddha.

He’s is the best philosophy I know, and one of the few that is really worth learning and practicing. Along with scientific knowledge, art appreciation, healthy social and love relations and physical exercise the study and practice of his living philosophy is one of the most salutary and valuable things one could do. Most philosophies and credos age really badly and are eventually disproven by science, but Buddha’s ideals (the most ancient of them, those of the original teacher, those that are more of a how-to-live-well guide than a religion, the writings of the time that Buddhism was an idea, not a organized world religion) are still worthy and I guess that will ever be.

One of the best and most perfect ways to achieve serenity of mind and happiness is by the reading of this man’s teachings and the practicing of his ideals, and I guess that is really significant when we acknowledge the fact that most people, no matter how well they live, tend to suffer with real or imaginary problems.
>>
I'm gonna cast my vote for Achilles. He was the best warrior of the Bronze Age and possibly the history of the world, with superhuman stamina and strength.
>>
LEIBNIZ
>>
>>563761
0/10

poor bait
>>
>>563761
>Darwin
>discovered evolution

Why are atheists so ignorant?
>>
File: jesuit.jpg (141 KB, 1700x2200) Image search: [Google]
jesuit.jpg
141 KB, 1700x2200
Ignatius Loyola
>>
Science: Newton
Philosophy: Socrates
Politics: Gilgamesh
Military: Genghis Khan
Art: Michelangelo
Literature: The Redactor
Commerce: Nathan Mayer Rothschild
>>
>>563858

Buddha's practical how-to-live philosophy is great but I don't think it's unique. Epictetus and the stoics came up with a very similar philosophy independently.

Can't really speak to the metaphysics and more esoteric parts of Buddhism.
>>
File: 206290_v1.jpg (175 KB, 610x203) Image search: [Google]
206290_v1.jpg
175 KB, 610x203
>>563742
Napoleon.

Napoleon was simply the biggest badass ever to live. He managed to rock the world so hard in just 10 years we're still reeling from it. It took every major military on the planet and multiple wars to bring him down, and even then they just managed it by the skin of their teeth.
>>
>>563742
This is a stupid question.
>>
>>563742
My mom.
>>
>>563882
No, he invented it, of course! :^)
>>
>>563742
>Shakespeare with those giants

pls bong
>>
>>564023

If you like poetry there is no other option: the language of his plays is by far the greatest ever created.
>>
>>563742
>impressive
>little dick
>>
>>563742
probably either Genghis Khan or Muhhamed
>>
Genghis Khan

>Be random nobody from a nobody tribe.
>Become leader of tribe
>Unify and create a culture
>Conquer most of the world

All those other Conquerors who were Kings or Aristocrats are cucks by comparison.
>>
>>563966
Evolution was in usage by natural scientists and other thinkers since the 17th century. Darwin merely applied it to a specific set of natural cases.
>>
Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle
>>
>>564032
your literature is just devoid of talent.
in any other european culture, Shakespeare would only be one of many
>>
File: 1433488555652.jpg (323 KB, 550x493) Image search: [Google]
1433488555652.jpg
323 KB, 550x493
>>564078
This is a really dumb post
>>
>>564052
his father owned some small tribe so he wasn't nobody and your way of describign his achievements is jsut, its alone to say he killed 1/3 of earth population
>>
>>564095
he only killed like 11% of world population
>>
>>564095

Could you kill that many people?

and yes his father ruled the tribe but Genghis got kicked out after he died.
>>
>>563742

I would say Shakespeare.

Language and writing are two of the greatest inventions of humanity, and are part of several civilizations for thousands of years. The great writing has always been praised through the ages, and through the ages all reasonably educated people could read and write. Today millions of people can do it.

Among all those minds who can read and write it was Shakespeare's writing that reached the highest rank of creation and beauty.

His metaphorical language and verbal texture is more beautiful and inventive of all time. Everything he says in his plays had been said before, but never so beautifully, never in a language as full of sap and movement as his.

He created more than a thousand characters, with men and women, rich and poor, old and young specimens in his gallery.

Despite never having created new original philosophical theories or systems of thought, Shakespeare addressed various situations of life and human society, exhibiting great knowledge of popular wisdom. He did not let himself be ruled by any specific way of thinking, by no creed: he accepted anything according to the work in question, and changed flesh and soul with the variety of the chameleon.
>>
>>563742

The Amazing Dildoni.
>>
Aristotle, Socrates or Plato.
>>
>>564142
> Could you kill that many people?
The Red Khmer had a bigger deaths per day ratio than Nazi Germany and they where basically just running around in a jungle armed with machetes.
>>
>>566498
> Jesus
> Human
>>
Archimedes is definitely the most impressive figure of the ancient world, even if a large portion of what we're told about him is pure bullshit.
>>
>>563742
Caesar
>le guaranteed replies faec
>>
>>563753

>Yeshua
>Messiah, The annointed one, The messiah, Iesous, Jesus Christ.

pick one
>>
File: SaddamHusseinFrescoBasra.jpg (50 KB, 600x413) Image search: [Google]
SaddamHusseinFrescoBasra.jpg
50 KB, 600x413
>>
File: die_a_hero.png (914 KB, 747x1294) Image search: [Google]
die_a_hero.png
914 KB, 747x1294
>>
File: robespierre.gif (23 KB, 140x178) Image search: [Google]
robespierre.gif
23 KB, 140x178
By impressive, I mean impressively stupid.
>>
>>563890

Stoicism and Buddhism have quite a bit in common but Buddhism is a broader and more comprehensive system imo.

Epictetus is amazing but he didn't really get as far as the Buddha in terms of discovering the true nature of causality and "emtpiness", which I think are amongst the greatest discoveries any human has ever made.
>>
File: veni-1.jpg (38 KB, 441x604) Image search: [Google]
veni-1.jpg
38 KB, 441x604
Julius Caesar, if not for the numerous fields.
>Be considered often among the top 5 generals in history
>Be considered one of the greatest writers and orators of all of your languages' history
>Rose from relative obscurity to becoming the most powerful man in the world
>Name has literally meant "ruler" since your death IE Czar, Kaiser, Qaisar, Tsar etc.
>Fucked everyone's wives, and Cleopatra too (Nicomedes be damned)
>Conquered in Gaul, Egypt, Greece, Italy and Spain.
>Sailed into Britannia, essentially landing on the fucking moon
>Most famous assassination in all of history
>Your heir then becomes the most influential figure in Rome since you

Alexander is probably second, for the sheer adventure-movie his life was.
>>
File: 1445218821814.png (136 KB, 357x391) Image search: [Google]
1445218821814.png
136 KB, 357x391
>>563888
>Philosophy: Socrates
>>
>>563866
Kek
>>
>ctrl-f
>no Euclid

you're all plebs
>>
>>566611
>/his/ - History and Humanities
>humanities
oh nevermind that's why
>>
>>563742
Napoleon by far is the most impressive human being in history.
>>
>>563742
It'd have to be the person who made the largest impression. Impressions aren't time dependent.

The person (who we know was actually alive) who has made the greatest impression would probably be Saul of Tarsus.
>>
>>566560
He was also bisexual, which just makes him even more rad.

It was said Caesar was "A husband to every woman, and a woman to every husband"
>>
>>563742
>voting a permavirgin as the greatest human of all time

/his/ pls

The correct answer is Jesus for the sheer impact of Catholicism.
>>
>>566634
Does the history board seriously think Jesus existed historically?

I mean I know 4chan was sad, but that's just amazing.
>>
>>563742
moot. never before connected one human being so many people on a marketplace of ideas on the ideals of meritocracy.
>>
>>566634
>>566639
"Jesus" is a character in a series of books claiming to be divine. This is not an adequate basis for a historical claim that the character existed as a person.
>>
>>566639
>>566647
what do an atheist and a vegan have in common?
>>
>>566665
Ha ha. But I do believe in the divine, it just isn't an acceptable basis for historical claims.
>>
File: Joan Napoleon.jpg (602 KB, 1540x1060) Image search: [Google]
Joan Napoleon.jpg
602 KB, 1540x1060
Obviously one of these two.
>>
>>566704
Found the croissant
>>
>>566709
>implying those aren't objectively the most impressive woman and man respectively in recorded history
>>
>>566722
>Most impressive woman
>Not Victoria
kek
>>
Shakespeare truly was a genius and I feel privileged to have read such beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CHUlE2wLAQ
>>
>>566722
> A cheerleader in armour
> Impressive
>>
>>566738
Not talking about actual size here.
>>
>>563888
>Politics: Gilgamesh

You spelt Cicero wrong.
>>
>>566639
>hurr the Apostles and first generation of Christians died for someone who didn't exist XD
>>
Caesar or Alexander the Great
>>
It's clearly Napoleon.

Started off a penniless Corsican gentleman and by the time he was in his 30s he had refounded France, conquered Europe, ushered in the Modern Era, and reshaped the world forever.
>>
>>566792
>>hurr the Apostles and first generation of Christians died for someone who didn't exist XD
There is no evidence that the Jesus character existed historically. That's because history has standards unless your dad who is a whore to sailors.
>>
>>563888
>Gilgamesh

what
>>
>>566792
>>566846
There isn't even evidence of most christian martyrdom. They were mostly rowdy rabble-rousers largely ignored by the Roman Empire as long as their infighting didn't get too far.

>>566665
People think not being either one of them magically means they're not a moron?
>>
>>566846
There is, however, ample documentation of the Prophet Mohammad.

And hey, he started a whole empire. Jesus, who probably didn't even exist, just got executed. Everything impressive about Christianity was done later by other people in his name, and I don't see Constantine lighting up this thread.

Sounds like Mohammad is a way better candidate for greatest historical figure.
>>
>>563742
Homer. If you learn Ancient Greek, its mindblowing.
>>
File: 1432950202681.jpg (153 KB, 722x525) Image search: [Google]
1432950202681.jpg
153 KB, 722x525
>>564032
Chaucer is better than Shakespeare, and he's still English.

Shakespeare is nothing compared to Dante, Kochanowski, or Baudelaire
>>
>>566883
All of whom are rekt by Brecht.
>>
File: 1431359336259.gif (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1431359336259.gif
3 MB, 480x270
>>566886
>20th Century
>>
>>566892
Yeah, I'm surprised it took that long for someone to develop anti-cathartic drama, but you need to look at it from a classed perspective: until the development of communism as an immanent possibility in the proto-fordist proletariat, it was impossible to conceive of anti-cathartic drama.
>>
File: blue_ice_whit_dargon.jpg (43 KB, 410x308) Image search: [Google]
blue_ice_whit_dargon.jpg
43 KB, 410x308
>>563742
me on the right
>>
Genghis Khan, he was pretty good, unifying the steppe and inventing like 3 forms of legit warfare
>>
>>563742
Caesar. No question.
>>
File: Carl_Friedrich_Gauss.jpg (236 KB, 576x738) Image search: [Google]
Carl_Friedrich_Gauss.jpg
236 KB, 576x738
>>563742
Gauss
>>
>>566765
kek
>>
>>563749
>>563753
>>563858
>>566498
Mythical Characters don't count.
>>
File: 1281422207653.jpg (5 KB, 251x192) Image search: [Google]
1281422207653.jpg
5 KB, 251x192
>>566524
can someone explain the bottom? Is he being belittled?
>>
>>563742
Of all these, I'd say Michelangelo impressed me the most.

But Jesus, Muhammad and Marx are more impressive.
>>
>>566895
>What is Tristram Shandy
>>
>>566883
>>566886
>>564078
>>564023

Plebs detected
>>
>>567542
Buddha most definitely existed.

Cunt was a Prince.
>>
>>568114
Romanticism.
>>
>>568153
>1000 year source gap
Sure.
>>
>>566886
Brecht was a hack. He's so dated and hackneyed, so tediously political
>Muh proles
>muh oppression
Nobody will be reviving his plays in two hundred years. He doesn't have the universal humanity of Shakespeare or the Greeks
>>
>>567542
Whether you buy into religion or not, Jesus and Buddha were both very real people. You don't have to like them, believe in their teachings, or think that they had any true insight into an afterlife. But you can't deny their profound influence on the world.
>>
>>563888
Philosophy: Plato
Politics: Pericles
Military: Scipio Africanus
Art: Moreau
Literature: Homer
Commerce: Crassus
>>
>>563749
>preached, like many others did
>was crucified, like many were
Don't know what's so much impressive about him
>>
>>568203
I agree with this desu, if anything the more impressive were his disciples, esp. Paul, they did the real work of spreading Christianity's influence
>>
>>563742

Hitler
>>
>>563749
>>563753
>>563866
They're nothing compared to Geralt z Rivii
>>
>>563775

ew.

>>563870
double ew.

>>563888
Triple ew.

>>564054
1/3

Anyone who picks Plato over Aristotle is not well-read in philosophy. Aristotle created the greatest ethics, he was hugely influential on Catholicism, Arabs, and atheists today. His political theory is superior to Plato's. His metaphysics is superior to Plato's. He's definitely one of the greatest, if not the greatest, philosophers ever.
>>
In terms of raw intelligence, Von Neumann. He was not entirely human, but some kind of crazy mutation. They say that his intelligence was so great that to him, talking with a kid and with a Nobel laureate were the same thing.

In terms of wisdom, Epictetus. A Stoic sage is an impressive kind of human being, and chances are, he is the only one that existed that we know of.
>>
>>563888
Based on this formula mine is:

Philosophy: Kant
Politics: Machiavelli
Military: Subutai/Napoleon
Art: donno thqh.
Literature: Shakespear
Commerce: Crassus (richest man ever by a fucking wide margin)
>>
>>566765
kek
>>
>>563890
>>566538
>Epitetus : 55 AD-135 AD
>Stoics: 250 BC
>Buddhia: 624 BC

Also "independently" is greatly exaggerated. Most historians know there is a very real influence from India to Greek and later Roman literature. This knowledge transfer happened after Alexander the Great pushed near India. By 250 BC, Ashoka the Great from India came and spread Buddhism far and wide. Records suggests spreading (sending missionaries) all the way to Egypt(Under Greek rule at the time). There are Greek records of Indian buddhists monks. Some of the early Greek philosophers like Pyrrho, the founder of Skepticism traveled to India to learn Indian knowledge.

By the time Epictetus was born, Buddhism/Indian sramanas had spread its message long in the region. Zarmanochegas (Died 14 AD/CE) is recorded and immortalized with a tomb in Athens. His name was not known, but they knew which religion he preached to a degree, Sramana (Zramano).
>>
>>563742
Muhammad, followed closely by Kublai Khan.
>>
>>563901
second- or Augustus Caesar, the first Roman Emperor
>>
>>568409
I almost vomited after reading your post. Please, follow your scholastic hero Abelard and get yourself castrated.
>>
>>564052
I feel like modern business is the equivalent to ancient war.

Instead of starting or commandeering a small tribe, you start a business or inherit it from your parents like you inherit the title of chief.

The struggles within the tribe/business are the same; survival, threat of mutiny, successful campaigns with the long term goal of complete domination, assuming you're a competent leader.
>>
>>566845
Didn't know Napolean was so alpha looking, too bad he looks ugly as fuck. Should have gone on a cut before he booked the shoot.
>>
>>569477
are you retarded? napoleon looks fine. kill yourself
>>
>>569533
he just has one of those faces you want to punch
>>
Even if Jesus was real (he was), Christianity is pretty much a Paul invention with a little help from the Romans burning the second temple.
>>
>>563753
>Yeshua Messiah.

Yeah, I remember oily josh.
>>
File: khutulun.jpg (69 KB, 404x399) Image search: [Google]
khutulun.jpg
69 KB, 404x399
>>566738
>Victoria
>never fought anything
>talked on a beach
>not pic related or any other chick who did cooler stuff
>>563742
But did any of them lift and look like your pic OP?
>>
>>563742

shakespeare
>>
>>563888
4/7 I can see. Surprised by the Redactor, I'll need to re-research him
>>
>>563749
Jesus, the man, was not impressive at all during his lifetime. Only the embellishments of his disciples made him appear more than just a man.
>>
Bach's harmonic rules provided the foundation for all western music since
>>
>>573979
>>563888
Who's the redactor?
>>
>>566722
>Most impressive
>Hypocrite
>Loser
>Arrogant
>Died in a shitty island in the middle of nowhere as his countries greatest rival went on to form the largest empire ever because he failed to stop it
>>
>>563888
>Gilgamesh
I think you meant Hammurabi, the guy who invented the babylonian code of laws. right?
>>
Shakespeare has to be the stupidest of answers, also this
>>574218
You are all fucking memebabbies.
>>
>>567542
>Jesus wasn't real
This isn't even a real meme.
Almost no scholars deny Christ's existence.

>>563742
Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.
>>
>>575079
>Almost no scholars deny Christ's existence.
>Christ
>scholars

Most scholars are in STEM. They don't have the right to have an opinion.

Theologians tend to agree Christ existed, because their discipline is predicated on the existence of the divine in texts.

Historians tend to deny Christ's existence because it is definitionally forbidden to their discipline as they deny the divine's influence in history as not capable of textual demonstration. Most historians also deny that there was any person with any meaningful relation to the portrayal of the Jesus Character.
>>
Leonardo da Vinci
Definitely the most intelligent human being to have ever existed, also described as physically fit and handsome. Mastered arts, mastered knowledge, mastered engineering and mastered fitness.
He was the best humanity ever had to offer.
>>
Probably that mongolian guy who conquered Asia almost entirely and then went on to conquer europe
>>
>>575090
Not that anon, but where would you put the likelihood of Jesus existing on a scale of

King Arthur ------ Buddha ------- Muhammed
>>
>>575109
Rurik
>>
>most IMPRESSIVE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Cyr
>"His recorded feats, including lifting 500 pounds (227 kg) with one finger and backlifting 4,337 pounds (1,967 kg), show Cyr to be [...] the strongest man ever to have lived."
>>
>>575109
>Jesus
The character from the 4 gospels and acts?

<King Arthur.

The Jesus character engages in divine acts.

You have to hypothesise an ur-Jesus character, I call mine "Yesh'ua ben Yoseph" and then interpolate claims regarding this character.

Given the STRONG narrative bias towards Dionysian myths in the narrative I'd say the narrative bears NO resemblance to any historical character.

Regarding the sayings they're more likely to have been said by a group of post Pharisee Essenes. I don't think this is a sufficient basis to claim that "Jesus" was real.

Also "Buddha" is a sayings tradition too.

King Arthur is pure religious fiction, it is a collection of myths.
>>
>>575065
>Shakespeare has to be the stupidest of answers,

Why?

See:

>>566485

>>575094

He was great, yet greatly overrated. And in the realm of art Michelangelo towers above any other contender.

About Da Vinci, see:

https://itsnobody.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/the-top-10-most-overrated-geniuses/
>>
>>575123
What I took away from this....is that if you eat big and train big ...you can be a Uber man.
>>
>>575314
SOURCE
OURCE
URCE
RCE
CE
E
>>
>>568180
>universal humanity
HAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ACTUALLY BELIEVING IN THIS HAHAHAHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac6UxEFFYls
>>
>>576732
Trippany Novel > Trippany Opera

Wanna buy a pub, old soldier?
>>
Depends on what you consider impressive. I'd probably argue Alexander the Great.

> founded the city of Alexander, the first great center for science and technology (Archimedes, etc)
> one of the first great empires, uniting everyone under one banner and promoting Greek culture
> was personally taught by Aristotle, one of the greatest thinkers of all time, and helped spread his ideas throughout the world
> started the Hellenistic age, which all great civilizations since have tried to emulate in art/culture/philosophy/etc.
>>
>>576747
Yes, Spielberg, Lucas and Jackson are great Novelists.
>>
File: 1447628273140.jpg (103 KB, 392x701) Image search: [Google]
1447628273140.jpg
103 KB, 392x701
For me, I'd say Heraclius. The fact that he completely turned the tide of the war against the Persians is impressive. It's a shame that the Arabs diminished his legacy.
>>
>>567542
>Mythical
[citation needed]
>>
>>575090
I don't Know why you feel that you have to lie, anon. It's obvious you've seen no historians work on a historical Jesus.

We can even use the bible to figure out that this Jesus person probably existed historically. Not because it just says he did, but from other details that wouldn't have made sense to add were he actually made up.

If Jesus was just some guy that early Christians made up to convince people that the Jewish messiah was here, why didn't they just write him in as fulfilling all of the messianic prophecies? Why would they even mention that he was from Nazareth, an unimportant town, when the messiah was said to be from bethlehem? The only thing that makes sense is the Jesus was a real person from Nazareth, and so they had to write in that he was "actually" born in Bethlehem, and then moved to Nazareth.
>>
>>563888
>Politics: Gilgamesh
I think Gilgamesh's entire political repertoire consisted solely of "I CRUSH IT WITH MY KINGLY BALLS!"

...Then again, maybe you have a point.
>>
File: 1378070-alex1.jpg (21 KB, 343x480) Image search: [Google]
1378070-alex1.jpg
21 KB, 343x480
>>569336
>>563901
I'll take "Who is Alex?" for $200, Alex.

Did more than either of those plebs, and didn't lose. (Hell, he's the hero both Shortcake and the Salad Dressing keep going on about in their own memoirs.)
>>
>>577313
Diogenes rekt him hard. Does that make Diogenes a greater man?

Is there anyone greater than Diogenes anyway?
>>
File: Hitchens.jpg (247 KB, 1127x914) Image search: [Google]
Hitchens.jpg
247 KB, 1127x914
Christopher "Christ to friends" Hitchens
>>
>>575123
strongest man in the world was a manlet. lanklets btfo
>>
>>577536
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>577588
He confused Heraclius With Heraclitus.
>>
for me

science --> Newton
military --> Alexander
politics --> Peter the Great?
>>
>>577601
I thought he was going to quote the guy who said about Alexander the Great.
>>
>>576747
I was just shitposting because trying to determine the most influental or important person over the whole extend of human histories is utterly retarded.

I didn't try to embrace brecht over anyone, but his erotic poetry is amazing. you should read it if you by chance are a german speaker. If not i couldn't fully recommend as i don't know how good translation on these is.
>>
>>566776

>Cicero

"haha wow I beat Catiline aren't I just SO cool guys!!! please write stories about me and how I single handedly saved rome and how Catiline is literally worse than Carthage"
>>
>>563742
Muhammad comes pretty close desu.
>>
>>577562
Agreed. probably the only person that'll be remembered by the average schoolchild from our decade in 1000 years.
>>
File: cocker-spaniel[1].jpg (38 KB, 268x332) Image search: [Google]
cocker-spaniel[1].jpg
38 KB, 268x332
>>576732
>falling for the malleability of the mind of man meme
>>
>>567542
>>563749
Jesus Christ I've actually met stupid faggots like you IRL
>muh atheism
>Christ didn't exsist
>I'm smart cause I don't believe a God exsists
Fuck you you ignorant cunt your belief on whether or not Christ was a divine being is irrelevant. No real historian denies his exsistance.
>>
Currently, would have to say either Gandhi or Hitler.

By impressive, I'm going on the fact that everyone in the world knows these two names, they will never forget them, and therefore these people are eternal in the sight that they are never forgotten.

It doesn't matter if what you did was considered "good" or "bad".
>>
>>578125

>impressive
>"left an impression"

it checks out

Adolf takes this one
>>
File: NOORDUNG.jpg (58 KB, 478x600) Image search: [Google]
NOORDUNG.jpg
58 KB, 478x600
>>563742
Herman Potočnik Noordung.

I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread knows him but still:
>Slovene
>born in 1892
>died in 1929
>first man to write about permanent human presence in space
>first plans for a space station (wheel-shaped)
>first to recognise the significance of the geostationary orbit
>first to think of the concept of a satellite for observing Earth, for scientific research and for communications
>influenced Werner von Braun

All this, he did in 1928.
>>
File: 1433444947536.png (266 KB, 470x540) Image search: [Google]
1433444947536.png
266 KB, 470x540
>>566625

> which just makes him even more rad.
>>
>>563742

Man that job has to be nerve-wracking. Like ... okay. You are going to be cleaning the statue of David. Probably the most widely-recognized piece of renaissance artwork in the world.

I don't think I could do it.

Honorable mention goes to that Egyptian janitor who knocked the nose off Tut's death mask. What the fuck.
>>
File: Peter-Hitchens_877_1871668c.jpg (20 KB, 460x287) Image search: [Google]
Peter-Hitchens_877_1871668c.jpg
20 KB, 460x287
>>577562

>not posting the superior brother

I bet you don't even play as paladins in RPGs either, you fuck.
>>
>>566625

That's just scurrilous political slander. Maybe he was and maybe he wasn't but if the wags are to be believed then every ancient political figure was a cakeboy.
>>
>>578475

>superior
>uses simplistic black and white narratives in a completely idiotic effort to manage and control society, which, ironically, is the very thing that destroyed the communism he rails against

fify
>>
>>578475

Oh for goodness sake.

I'm right wing and have a lot of time for what P Hitchens says. I certainly don't support the claim that C. Hitchens comes close to be the most impressive man in history.

However P. Hitchens is literally a fucking tabloid columnist who has spent his whole career writing for shit tier newspapers specifically aimed at the bottom 50% of the population in terms of IQ and written a couple of books that no one has ever seriously considered to be top-drawer material either in terms of pure intellectualism or numbers of copies sold. You could buy a copy of the Times or Telegraph tomorrow and read better modern right wing columnists than P. Hitchens.

He doesn't even struggle into the class of "intellectual" let alone become a great thinker, let alone get into the list of "most impressive people of all time".

Note, this is not an attack on any of his views but thinking a minor hack is some brilliant thinker is a stale, old Brit/pol/ meme. And I say this as someone that used to love the Brit/pol/ threads we used to have before /pol/harbour.
>>
>>568409
>Leibniz is an 'ew' because he decided to disagree with Aristotle's retarded understanding of identity
Kek
>>
File: smug racist riding a bicycle.webm (439 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
smug racist riding a bicycle.webm
439 KB, 640x360
>>578475
Good lad
>>
>>575123
I am convinced that all of that shit was made up. He was a fucking fat manlet. End of story.
>>
>>563742
Science: Bacon
Philosophy: Lao Tzu
Politics: Reagan
Military: King seonjo
Art: Rembrandt
Literature: Paul the Apostle
Commerce: Walt Disney

>>563888
Nice the Jew Rothschild
>>
>>566520
Ones the real thing and other is a man made bullshit use by the Jovah witnesses
>>
>>575155
>Other genius engineers like Nikola Tesla are almost ignored in the media.
>Tesla
>almost ignored in the media

t.
>>
>>563742
Gauss is totally overrated. I'd choose Euler or Einstein.
>>
>>579427
>Gauss is totally overrated
Nah
>>
>>579427
>Gauss is totally overrated
>I'd choose Euler or Einstein
eh eh eh eh
>>
>>578103
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>563775
Breaking Bad wasn't that good
>>
>>580252
Kek
>>
>>563742
All these other geeds. Not one mention if Muhammad. He literally redefined how the world would operate for millenia, and his actions are still influential today.
>>
Science: Leibniz
Philosophy: Heraclitus
Politics: Aristotle
Military: Caesar
Art: Raphael
Literature: Homer
Commerce: who fucking cares
>>
>>578103
No [true] historian.
>>
>>578103
>exsistance
>>
Benjamin Franklin was pretty cool. He was /fit/ as fuck in his youth from working in his brother's print shop, invented a bunch of stuff, and fucked like half the women in Paris. Also wrote an essay about farting. A true Renaissance Man.
>>
Aristotle. Right or wrong, he was a literal supergenius who invented science and did philosophy much better than plato.
>>
>>563742
Stupid question!
Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.