[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is philosophy relevant in an academic sense? In terms of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Why is philosophy relevant in an academic sense? In terms of relevant information gained, isn't philosophy a negative-sum endeavor? I mean we all have thinking minds, question our place in the world, but to study the opinions of others? This attitude of cohesive idealism reminds me too much of religion.
>>
File: 1449440079752.png (263 KB, 1100x748) Image search: [Google]
1449440079752.png
263 KB, 1100x748
>>561911
Well pic related is part of philosophy.
>>
This is why Theravada monks have a bit of disdain for western philosophy: in the end it's just a puff of smoke that doesn't lead to anything meaningful
>>
Because theories aren't developed by one person thinking in the shower for 5 minutes. They are developed for years by countless individuals. For this to occur the development must occur within philosophical structures.

e.g John Locke builds the foundations of Liberalism as an moral and political, the continentals continue to build on Liberalism applying it to history and economics, modern liberalism is not applied to ethics, political philosophy, international relations, economics and so on.
>>
>>561955
I have a laymen's view of philosophy, but this argument still holds no weight to me. So you stand on the shoulders of others, but to what end? In this field, where is the practicality? What's the point of studying? Is it mere satisfaction of curiosity? I'd really like to here the opinion of someone who really digs the study of philosophy, because I don't get it at all.
>>
>>562018
What exactly do you not understand? Why do people study philosophy if it's not practical?
>>
>>562032
Exactly. Is it entertainment? If so why is it not treated as such?
>>
>>561911
>why do people study the most fundamental of all intellectual pursuits?
Gee I wonder
>>
>>561911
Please kill yourself
>>
>>562248
>>562135

No intellectual response. What's the current wage for the meme factory fellas?
>>
>>562280

I like philosophy but I am yet to be persuaded it can really claim to have proven anything other than "I think therefore I am" in its entire existence.
>>
File: 1430299579497.jpg (35 KB, 546x480) Image search: [Google]
1430299579497.jpg
35 KB, 546x480
>>562280
Oh so because I greentexted it's suddenly a meme? Fallacy fallacy bruh
Hidden and saged
Shouldn't have bothered cause you are either a troll or retarded; same reason I ignore the religion threads
>inb4
>>
>>562292
And I would claim it hasn't even proved that.
>>
>>561911
Not this retarded shit again...
Modern day schooling for you...
>>
The only pursuit philosophy has (in modern times) is the justification of its own existance.

Its willingly viewing the world from a 2000+ year old perspective, because the practicer is incapable or unwilling of grasping complex modern concepts.
>>
File: Guide For The Perplexed.png (1 MB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
Guide For The Perplexed.png
1 MB, 900x720
>>562906
>>562292
>>562280
>>562132
>>562018
>>561911
>>
>>562906
Did complex concepts not exist 2000 years ago?
>>
>>562915

You do realise that picture is one big fallacy right?
>>
>>562928

Which one?
>>
>>562915

Looks like OP is category A. How sad
>>
EVERY FUCKING TIME

do you think laws and ideologies are relevant? Is there any sort of moral system that you subscribe to? Do you believe (or disbelieve) that "ethics" are a thing?

Congrats, you already believe philosophy is relevant
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.