[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/museum/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9
File: Field Museum (2).jpg (1 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
Field Museum (2).jpg
1 MB, 2304x1728
So your favorite museums / exhibits / experiences?
>>
>>561150
American History Museum of Nashville is GOAT.
>>
The philly museum of art has a great exhibit on arms and armor.
Even though Im not big into art, thats been one of my favorites so far.
>>
Anyone been to the American Museum of Visionary Art in Baltimore? One of my favorite museums ever
>>
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston is pretty great

Also Smithsonian Air and space museum.
>>
M O M A
O
M
A

No contest as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>561194
bretty gud. baltimore has good museums, i'll give them that.
>>
i went to the greek exhibit at the field museum. Saw the mask of agamemnon, the bust of Alexander, and a bunch of ancient weapons and fragments that have never left Greece before. I love going to the museum campus.
>>
File: tumblr_lw3xis4yjc1qzu5fbo1_500.png (247 KB, 369x700) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lw3xis4yjc1qzu5fbo1_500.png
247 KB, 369x700
Most museums are far too large for the day tourist. I happen to live near DC, and I've gone to the National Gallery maybe a dozen times, always for a few hours, and I've still not seen half the works there.

The Smithsonians are all great, the Met is fantastic, the Louvre is incredible though I was in and out, I would really like to see the British Museum someday.

One of my favorite museums was the reliquary at Topkapi Palace in Istanbul. They have on display, along with Ali's sword and whiskers from the Prophet, a staff supposedly belonging to Moses (dated 5000 BCE or something according to the panel lol). But some of the relics must be real, and they have an aura of vast importance, especially with the live Quranic recitation that goes on 24/7 in that room.
>>
>DC
Spy museum, Air and Space, National Gallery.
>other cities
Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, Solidarity Movement Museum in Gdansk, Naturhistorisches Museum/Natural History Museum in Vienna, London City Museum, Churchill War Rooms, Jewish History Museum in Vienna

>overrated/bad experiences
Museum of American History in DC is mega-overrated, didn't enjoy the Imperial War Museum in London that much, every Holocaust museum besides the aforementioned Jewish Museum in Vienna has been pretty awful and the curators are breathing down my neck every second I spend in them, the Science Museum in London was way too kid-oriented and had signs apologising for having stuffed animal specimens (kek).
>>
>>561150
Louvre. Nuff said.
>>
Dinosaurs > Everything else.

/thread.
>>
File: 1441222462434.jpg (16 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1441222462434.jpg
16 KB, 225x225
>>562756
Every visit I have ever made to an art gallery has been enlightening and enjoyable, but I always spend half of the time wishing I was looking at dinosaurs and trains instead.
>>
File: MAMCS-museum-strasbourg.jpg (48 KB, 424x282) Image search: [Google]
MAMCS-museum-strasbourg.jpg
48 KB, 424x282
Louvre is king
Naturkunde in Berlin has awesome atmosphere and structure, and you can't go wrong with dino skellies indeed
Some rather minor exhibitions in my home country that had very good conceptual elements
The Modern Art Museum in Strasbourg is also fantastic (picrelated)

Fuck now I got museum craving
>>
File: naturhistorisches-museum-wien.jpg (58 KB, 774x312) Image search: [Google]
naturhistorisches-museum-wien.jpg
58 KB, 774x312
>>561150
>>
File: MUJA_04.jpg (400 KB, 638x682) Image search: [Google]
MUJA_04.jpg
400 KB, 638x682
>>562756
>>
>>562793
I go there every single year, it's such an old fashioned, traditional, and charming museum with almost no kiddieshit. Just room after room of stuffed animals and rocks/minerals.
>>
The Louvre is fucking great, but sadly it doesn't have enough persian/mesopotamian stuff for my tastes. The british museum seems a bit better about that.

Also about parisian museums, if you like romantic-era paintings, Orsay is great.

Sadly both Orsay and the Louvre are full of tourists all the time. Fuck tourists desu.

I just wish the Louvre was free just like the british museum, I'd go there all the time.
>>
>>562820
>Sadly both Orsay and the Louvre are full of tourists all the time. Fuck tourists desu.
All big European museums are. Who cares honestly.
>>
File: Royal_Ontario_Museum_edit3.jpg (3 MB, 2424x1611) Image search: [Google]
Royal_Ontario_Museum_edit3.jpg
3 MB, 2424x1611
Outta my way, skinny fucking shits.
>>
File: wholly-undesirable.jpg (117 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
wholly-undesirable.jpg
117 KB, 400x300
>>562846
>>
The Vikings at the British Museum.

Initially I though I'd been ripped off, as it was just more of the same stuff they had upstairs, that I now had to pay to see. Brooches, rings, amber. Yawn.

Then I went around the corner into the hall. And there's a Viking longship in front of me.

Litterally breathtaking.

I am also fond of the Museum of London. In a city where every other museum is full of gold and jewells, it's nice to have something about ordinary people.
>>
>>562829

I don't care except when I have to wait 1 hour or more outside because there is too many people.
>>
>>561150
Pergamon museum in Berlin
>>
>>561150
I'm a big fan of the Natural History museum in London and the National Military museum in Paris.
A bit of an off the wall one is the alchemy museum in Prague, it's small, a bit silly and a bit out of the way, but it is generally not that busy and the staff really make an effort to chat and engage with you.
>>
Viennese Arsenal is pretty good (the WWI part is GOAT), although their bias towards Eugene de Savoy is really fucking cringey, especially their maps where they show that he won the battle of Vienna
>>
File: Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-Enough-26.png (204 KB, 800x670) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-Enough-26.png
204 KB, 800x670
>>563093
>tfw ICOM member card
>>
There was a Pompeii exhibit that was at the Field Museum in Chicago a few years back that was really cool.
>>
museum bump
>>
Wallace Collection is wierd. Like the displays have been like that since the doors opened and will be like that until it's no longer open to the public. Looking at a cool thing, finding it's number , going to a shelf at the other end of the room, picking up a physical book and reading the description in there, rather than on an ipad or a board in the cabinets themselves is just odd in the 21st century.

Not to mention the entire building just screams "you shouldn't be here peasant!".
>>
>>562846
I actually think it looks nice.
>>
>>561150
I love any exhibit of ancient Mesopotamian stuff. It always blows my mind how sophisticated a civilization they were. Especially the writing and carvings, unbelievable. The musculature on their bas reliefs is very lifelike, and the masses of banal data recorded on tablets speaks to the size of their bureaucracy (which is an impressive thing for such an ancient civilization).
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.