[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much of the Roman Kingdom is mythology? How much is based
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Romulus-Remus.jpg (23 KB, 545x391) Image search: [Google]
Romulus-Remus.jpg
23 KB, 545x391
How much of the Roman Kingdom is mythology? How much is based on actual events?
>>
Read Herodotus.
>>
>>560218
Some of the the kings most certainly existed, even if they were twisted to fit a literary narrative. Its not even clear all the settlements named were real.

The Romans liked to think of their culture as continuous rather than something that developed over time, so they wrote elements into the past that probably were no there
>>
>>560218
Twin brother thing is present in half of all Indo-European mythologies so I'd take that with a grain of salt.
>>
>>560218
It's pretty much all mythology. There might most certainly be some historical basis for the stories, like the wars and perhaps some king's name, but the specific events? Total bullshit. Even the late republic romans were aware of that.
>>
Of the legendary "Seven" kings of Rome, they ruled for a combined like 300 years, which averages to a reign of about 40 per king, which is simply not plausible, and therefore it is highly probable that some of them were composites of several rulers.
>>
All of it.
>>
Pretty much nearly everything from before the sack of Rome by the gauls is myth with a little bit of historical fact to it.
>>
File: brutus, the good one.jpg (115 KB, 560x750) Image search: [Google]
brutus, the good one.jpg
115 KB, 560x750
>>560218
at least Tarquinius Superbus was real, i think
>>
>>560244

did the wolf breastfeeding show up anywhere else?
>>
All completely factual. I have the corroborating accounts here in other Roman mythological accounts. If you deny my claims you're a materialist positivist fedora shitlord who is probably a moral relativist too. The Romulus and Remus account is just a metaphor even though this was never considered the case until it was utterly refuted, but still it's 2deep4u even though all the other unfalifiable stuff is totally true.
>>
>>560218
How about the part with the Etruscan kings, what does that mean? Was Rome developed into a bigger power by Etruscan elements? Was it simply an etruscan city with a strong latin and sabinian presence? Where they physically conquered?
>>
>>560659
I know this is supposed to making fun of Christians, but it's not like I can't quote Early Christians who wrote things about genesis not being literal.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.