[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any merit to the philosophy of progressivism? Could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 800x1005) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 800x1005
Is there any merit to the philosophy of progressivism? Could it be true that human society has a certain linear path which it will always advance upon? Or is it just enlightenment bullshit?
>>
>>560126
Define "human society"
Define "certain linear path"
Define "always advance"
>>
Human societies tend to adapt to different circumstances.

The circumstances that humans exist under today are changing at a lightning pace.

There isn't an obvious, linear evolution, but simple logic dictates that our society must be able to adapt.
>>
Mostly just Enlightenment bullshit. It's the easy to make mistake wherein a person sees not the fundamental character of thing but only it's ornamentation. Progressivism sees the technological advancements and what not which are, fundamentally, ornaments which can improve and relax what is at the heart of humanity but does not define it. At the heart is a sort of amorphous, highly capable thing which is unending in its complexity, the greatness of it being in evil and goodness. Which is all say, there's nothing new under the sun honestly, just different forms.
>>
>>560150
pretty much this
if you want to get down to, OP, it the "path" is only a biological and hierarchical development, where humanity may become conceivably less individualistic and more like a eusocial ant colony over extremely long periods of time
>>
>>560144
I suppose I should clarify,

Is there a certain state of the interactions between the individuals, classes, and ethnicities in any nation which must inevitably occur over periods of change?

(that certain state being defined by liberal ideas through the enlightenment and following reforms)
>>
>>560126
>Could it be true that human society has a certain linear path which it will always advance upon?
Could be true. Could be also true for human societies or cultures, because there's really no such thing as overall "human" society that shares the same values and developments, at least not yet. Could be also true that literally everything is pre-determined in the universe. But then you can't do anything about it - it's not your choice if you're "progressive" or "reactionary."

My father once gave a good argument that human development is pre-determined. In China, there's various kinds of tea, and black tea isn't really the most popular. Yet, in every instance where Europeans got tea from China, it was black tea, leading to it becoming the most popular. And you can count at least four (IIRC) instances where tea was introduced to the West - via Russia, via Persia, and twice through unrelated European merchants. That's a pretty big coincidence.
>>
>>560150
>>560158
I think if you took modern, say, Anglo societies, and compared them to the Assyrians or the Aztecs, you'd have trouble believing it was the same species. The Abrahamic religions managed to eliminate human sacrifice and severely clamp down on infanticide.

The societies of the developed world have eliminated starvation, eliminated warfare, reduced infanticide from ubiquitous to anomalous, created nearly universal literacy, reduced infant mortality from one in two to one in 1000, instituted universal adult suffrage, and created instantaneous, uncensored communication around the globe.

These are not merely technological adornments. These are fundamental changes in human society the likes of which haven't happened since the Neolithic Revolution.
>>
>>560198
indeed, we've actually lost our way since the time of the ancients -- men are no longer men, women are no longer women, and infants are no longer ritually sacrificed to the blood gods
>>
>>560557
If men are no longer men, and women are no longer women, then what are they to you?
>>
>>560613
FBI agents.
>>
'Progressivism' doesn't hold that human history is linear, or that change is unequivocally good. It merely holds that improvement is possible and should be sought.
>>
>>560557
BACK IN MY TIME, WE ACTUALLY SACRIFICED FOR OUR VETARANS

SHARE IF YOU AGREE
>>
Increasing energy rate density has been a pretty solid trend.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.