[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
They should change the beginning of the common era to when Augustus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: CEvsAD_1500.jpg (29 KB, 385x289) Image search: [Google]
CEvsAD_1500.jpg
29 KB, 385x289
They should change the beginning of the common era to when Augustus became emperor t.bh
>>
>>559399
This desu. Even if you call it the common era it's still based on christianity
>>
>>559399
>They should change the beginning of the common era to when Augustus became emperor t.bh
Congrats, an even less globally irrelevant factor .

Keep the fucking BC/AD. I'm an Atheist and it keeps shit tidy. Change it when we start settling in Space in Earnest Tbh.
>>
>>559455
>beginning of Roman empire
>irrelevant

Gtfo retard
>>
>>559443
Even if you use B.C, and A.D. it doesn't refer to the birth of christ which (providing he actually existed) was estimated to have been born on a different date.

It's dating some monk thought up.

It would now be too much effort to change.
Like forcing people to order date, month and year correctly or forcing people to use the metric system.

B.C.E. and C.E. makes more sense even if it is completely arbitrary.
>>
Jesus is more relevant than Augustus
>>
>>559472
Yes. Because Jesus Christ is far more universally relevant culturally across the globe than some European Empire.

Whats the beginning of the Roman Empire to China? India?
>>
>>559495
>some European empire
>this idiot doesn't realize it laid the foundations for later civilizations that ruled the world, and had lands in Africa and asia
>>
>>559499
So? Congrats you just made it Eurocentric. Secular but Eurocentric. And in the end, it means nothing to other people.

Meant a great deal to the west. But not to others.
>>
>>559512
What 'other people'? Without the west you wouldn't be shitposting right now and people around the world wouldn't have modern medicine or cars among other things
>>
>>559512
The current system means nothing to anyone who isn't Christian.
And if they'd do their research it wouldn't mean much to anyone who is either.

Everyone has adopted the current year because it practical, not because it means anything to people.
>>
>>559499
>>559521
>>559399
>ITT: Tremendous buttmad atheist.
>>
>>559521
Yes, the Roman Empire was responsible for cars and modern medicine.

Oh wait.
>>
>>559536
If you were literate you would see that I said 'the west' and that in the previous post I said the Roman empire laid the foundations for the west becoming what it is. More relevant than some dead Jew anyway
>>
>>559399
>the current year
>not counting since the first moment human beings set foot on a different celestial body
>not realising our future is in space

I mean come on, it's 47!
>>
>>559399
why do we even need to count the years? knowing what month we are is enough. Maybe give a name based on who is the president of the USA to the year. Like now its Obama8 and next its Trump1?
>>
>>559399
Alexander is more significant
>>
>>559551
Why not the first man in orbit? Landing on the Moon was just humans orbiting the Earth in the same path as a big rock.
>>
>>559553
Because you need it to calculate the length of a year, given leap years etc.

It's also useful for legal reasons.
Also dating anything.

>>559560
Because muh american goalpost moving.
>>
lets go back to lunar months
>>
File: 1449637807900.jpg (123 KB, 537x536) Image search: [Google]
1449637807900.jpg
123 KB, 537x536
>>559399
What makes the Roman Empire a more valid start point then any other possible start point?

The Bronze age collapse would make a much better transition then an expansionist oligarchic republic becoming an expansionist autocratic empire tbqh
>>
>>559560
The moon landing was more iconic in my opinion, being broadcasted live all over the world and stuff.

If you think the Soviet achievements were more impressive/ the moon landing was faked, I would alternatively suggest the year Sputnik 1 was put into orbit, which would make 59 the current year
>>
>>559399
>not using the Holocene Era
Wow
>>
>>559560
Needs permanent settlement, Inyalowda.

Another big moment would be contacting Ayylmaos.
>>
>>559585
>claim the extremely vaguely defined beginning of a geological era can be used as a starting point for a calendar
>just put 10,000 in front of the current CE year

Seriously what the fuck
>>
>>559585

Use the Anthropocene brat.
>>
>>559512

Eurocentrism is the truth tho, white man pwned everyone.
>>
>>559551
>>559582
Not only is the Sputnik launch the exact beginning of mankind's reach into space and the Vostok launch the exact moment mankind reached space, but neither of those are marred in the way that the moon landing is by the fact that Americans, as usual, were only motivated to space exploration by geopolitic paranoia and powerlust. It's obviously a big moment in history but only Sputnik and Vostok are significant enough to mark the beginning of a space era calendar. My vote goes to Sputnik Era since it precede the Vostok, but also because its name (Satellite) is appropriate.
>>
Just keep it as is.
There is no benefit to changing it. It's not like switching to SI or revamping your power grid. C.E. and B.C.E. just pointlessly change around a few letters because it marks Christ's death still.
>>
>>559499

who gives a shit? Jesus is more important.
>>
>>559614
You're right on a lot of points.
So 59 = the current year then
No we only need a fancy name for the calendar, AT (After Takeoff) maybe? Sounds good both as a statement and a metaphor without political implications.
>>
>>559399
I propose we just use a negative symbol for stuff before 0
>>
>>559663
doesn't matter your still using a calender based on Christianity heathen!
>>
>>559399
Nah. Back to ab urbe condita
>>
File: destroy.jpg (42 KB, 553x388) Image search: [Google]
destroy.jpg
42 KB, 553x388
>B.C.E. and C.E.
>>
>>559495
What's the birth of Christ to Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, Jews, etc?
>>
>>561483
>What's the birth of Christ to ... Muslims?

Oh dear.
>>
It's pretty unthinkable that someone would change the dating system today, but it's happened before.
>>
>>561483
The world has been cucked by Christ.
>>
>>559399
I have not once set foot inside a church, said a prayer or read a holy book.

But for fucks sake stop being austistic, BC and AD are fine. Any one offended by that is a revisionist retard
>>
0 occured 2016 years and a few weeks ago today

Fedoras btfo
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.