[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did Lincoln free the slaves out of a sense of moral obligation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 4787_115527992641_3448789_n.jpg (44 KB, 604x435) Image search: [Google]
4787_115527992641_3448789_n.jpg
44 KB, 604x435
Did Lincoln free the slaves out of a sense of moral obligation or was it merely a political move?
>>
>>559374

Both.
>>
>>559374
Politics imo
>>
>>559379
Agreed
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
9 KB, 480x360
>>559374
Lincoln was a front for the already flourishing shadow government. He didn't have an opinion, he was just a shallow but wellspoken scriptreader with a stricking presence
>>
>>559397
Provide evidence or you're a tinfoil hatter.
>>
File: Lincoln_on_a_bear.png (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Lincoln_on_a_bear.png
2 MB, 1280x720
From what I've seen and read, the freeing of the slaves was a political move and nothing else.

IIRC, he's on the record as saying that if he could have won the war without freeing the slaves, he would have.

Plus, look at the Emancipation Proclamation. It only freed slaves in Southern States. Sure, you could argue that it's because he didn't have the authority to free them in the North without Congressional approval, but effectively it was a strategic move to hurt the Southern economy. Before the slaves were freed, there wasn't much incentive for a southern slave to escape north because they were still legally property. In many cases, they were returned to their owners if captured by the Union Army. By declaring all those slaves free, however, it gave all those slaves a reason to escape and resist. Now the Union Army could confiscate and free slaves as well, allowing them to have a huge impact on areas of the South by just passing through (but without having to really solidify control over an area).

Meanwhile, slaves in the North remained slaves up until laws were passed to free them. Lincoln didn't touch them because
>it would have harmed support for a war that already was becoming controversial
>it would have harmed the economies of the Northern states that still had slaves
>>
>>559445
>IIRC, he's on the record as saying that if he could have won the war without freeing the slaves, he would have.

How do we know that this wasn't simply to reassure the Union that they weren't dying solely for the (far from universally popular) abolitionist cause?
>>
>>559379

This. He was an abolitionist and thought slavery was wrong, but he wasnt about to do anything about it until the politics of the moment were right. People can argue this makes him a cold emotionless cynic or something, but to me it just makes him a smart politician.
>>
Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation to take the moral high ground so the European powers couldn't possibly recognize the CSA.
>>
>>559503
That very well could be the case. Lincoln was an absurdly good politician, and I certainly would hope he was anti-slavery. But there doesn't seem to be much evidence to support the idea that he was abolitionist because he hated slavery so much as because it was a convenient political tool.
>>
>>559503
>>559626
>>559445
I think a lot of the evidence points to him being in favor of abolition, but more than willing to compromise on slavery to deal with bigger issues.

Basically, he was willing to put slavery on the negotiation table if he could preserve the Union. The South didn't like the idea of having to compromise for slavery.
>>
File: 1264734434723.jpg (111 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1264734434723.jpg
111 KB, 900x900
>>559445
>>559626
>>559644

While absence of evidence is hardly evidence in and of itself, Lincoln's missing speech could support the idea that he was opposed to the idea of slavery long before becoming deeply entangled in national politics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln's_Lost_Speech
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.