[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the oldest surviving branch of christianity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: Dome.jpg (163 KB, 761x764) Image search: [Google]
Dome.jpg
163 KB, 761x764
What is the oldest surviving branch of christianity?
>>
>>557233
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Apostolic_Church
>>
The catholic church

Ave Peter
>>
>>557233
the one who dont beilif in the trinity and was bumped by mahomed illness , Islam ?
>>
Judaism. Messiah=Christos=Christ.
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 473x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 473x600
>>557233
Orthodoxy
>>
>>558091
i won't try to say that what you say is wrong (it is) but even with that belief, the main difference between christianity and judaism is that christianity belives the messiah already came to earth while judaism belives we are still waiting for him
>>
>>557233
>What is the oldest surviving branch of christianity?
Armenia's church or the Ethiopian Church, I imagine.
Both were Coptic, no? So thats your answer, the Coptic sect of Christianity.

>>557368
>Catholic sect
>old
You arent even trying, are you?
>>
>>557380
>Arianism
No

>>558091
Remember that Herod's Temple was destroyed and the Talmud was written well after Christ. Technically Rabbinic Judaism is younger than Christianity.
>>
>>558136
Coptic is a ethnicity actually. I think the term you're looking for is "Oriental Orthodox". If you want to refer to Coptic, Armenian, and Ethiopian collectively.
>>
>>557233
>>557233
>which is oldest survivng church
whichever had the military and political power to not get exterminated by other church
>>
>>558155
>Coptic is a ethnicity actually.
Could be so. In my language we say "copt" meaning the people who follow that more base form of christianity, before it was organized, refined and politicized by the romans. Perhaps the actual term in english does refer to an ethnicity.
Sadly most of my reading on history and theology isnt in english, so I often find myself in such positions when discussing online.
>>
>>558170
The Orientals split off from the rest of the Orthodoxy because of miscommunication when explaining the nature of Christ. In a round'a'bout way they disagreed where there was no disagreement. The source of problem was the language difference.
>Eastern: Christ has two natures. One fully human and one fully divine.
>Oriental: Christ has one nature. Both fully human and fully divine.
They both accuse the other of nestorianism.
>>
>>558194
And they have recently come back into communion after over a thousand years of being apart. That should tell you something about the East.
>>
>>558194
>>558204
Hopefully we'll see a reunion in our lifetime
>>
>>558204
Not communion yet. There has only been...dialogue so far. Almost nothing gets agreed on for the most part.
>>
>>558091
define "Judaism".
>>
>>558204
The neo-USSR, this time with religion instead of atheism, will bring them together. Sadly.
>>
>>558207
>>558212
>>558224
God always prevails brothers
>>
>>558231
[Citation Needed]
>>
>>558194
>They both accuse the other of nestorianism.
I have never heard of Copts being called Nestorians
Monophysites yes, but that's the exact opposite of Nestorianism
>>
>>558241
That's because of the language issue. Both sides thought that the other was guilty of a heresy that neither subscribe to; hence the separation that even happened well before the Catholic-Orthodox schism.
>>
>>558127
Perhaps he meant Messianic Jews would technically be the oldest sect of Christianity? That being said, I do not know enough about Messianic Judaism to say if it could actually be traced back to ancient Christianity.
>>
Pauline Christianity.

Baptists, Dispensationalists, Grace believers, etc.
>>
>hey guys! they werent heretics after all!
when will this ecumenic meme die off?
>>
File: Angela Merkel.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Angela Merkel.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>558239
pic related is you
>>
>>558155
>Coptic is a ethnicity actually.
No it's literally not
>>
>>559238
Messianci Judaism is a modern attempt of a Nazarene revival started by Protestants in America.

If it was really attempting to bring back the historic church, it would not retain the Jewish practices that were created well after the canonization of the New Testament.
>>
>>559244
No
>>
>>557233
Southern Baptist. :^)
>>
>>559564
This. I don't know much about the history of Messianic Judaism, but I've known some Messianic Jews, and it's always seemed to me like the movement was started by Christians who wanted to "go back" to the original Jesus movement without realizing how much Judaism had changed in two thousand years.

As a result, Messianic Judaism is basically Rabbinic Judaism with veneration of Jesus as the Messiah.
>>
>>559746
truly spoken my friend
>>
File: image.jpg (275 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
275 KB, 640x1136
>>559244
No.
>>
File: image.jpg (305 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305 KB, 640x1136
>>559746
We know this is bullshit
>>
>>559245
Fuck off heretic scum
>>
All churches that have some connection to early Christianity. I.E. everything but Protestants. Duh.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.