[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is coffee the foundation of post-Enlightenment Western civilization?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
Is coffee the foundation of post-Enlightenment Western civilization?

Could the West have risen the same way it did without the pleasant, invigorating, ameliorating effects of coffee? Or is it all a cruel myth perpetuated by Folgers and Nescafe?

Secondary question: By what percentage do you believe coffee increases the human capacity for excellence? I say 5%.
>>
File: anime girl.jpg (51 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
anime girl.jpg
51 KB, 1280x720
>>557209
>>
I watched that gay BBC documentary, too, OP
>>
>>557253
Well link it then because I've no idea what you shitposters are talking about.
>>
>>557228
Honestly not sure what you're doing in a /his/ thread, Chen. I mean, I get it. You like to honk. But is this really the best place to be honking right now? Chen, there are many people suffering all over the world because they've never heard a cat youkai honk for them. You need to find those people, Chen. You need to find them and make their lives better with just a honk or two, maybe three, and don't let anyone tell you not to honk. Don't let an unjust government, an unjust person, or anything at all in the world stop you from honking, Chen, because it's what you do best, and when you pass on into the youkai spirit realm to get judged by Yama or whatever, just tell her, "HONK HONK." She'll understand.

Say hello to Yukari for me. Fluff Ran's tail, too. Until next time, farewell. Give me one last honk for the road. I'll drive slowly.
>>
>>557253
>>557257
Idk if he's referring to this one but the "coffee led to the enlightenment" idea is touched on in this documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTDy-L0NKIg
>>
>>557112
Is this the shitposting euphoric ideas thread? Good. You guys do know that the only reason mankind was able to get to where it is today is because of dogs, right? Without them, how were early hunters supposed to prosper? Dogs obviously are the only reason we're here today senpai.
[spoiler]Animals are alright but fucking hell my best mate pretty much fucking pushes dogs too much in this shit. [/spoiler]
>>
File: 1391403284051.jpg (103 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
1391403284051.jpg
103 KB, 800x900
>>557265
also i forgot how gay the intro is. Ignore that. The documentary itself is rather interesting.
>>
>>557265
Bingo
>>
>>557169
>>557228
>>557237
>>557254
>guy asks perfectly legitimate historical questions
>faggot responds with memes and weaboo shit
>meanwhile, the front page fills up with asinine shitposting
>people think this is okay

Holy fuck. Can you /b/tard /pol/fags or whoever else you are please get the fuck out? I would rather have a board that goes at a snail's pace rather and have great discussions rather than have to watch you shitbags discredit the whole study of history with your incessant shitposting. This board could have been so great, and yet it is so terrible.

If I was a moderator here, you faggots would be permabanned. There is no excuse to carry on like this on a board dedicated to historical discussion.
>>
>>557277
>>>/b/
>>
>>557277
>This board could have been so great, and yet it is so terrible.
It was pretty sweet for about 2 weeks when all the threads were from the /k/ommandos who were interested in military history.
>>
>>557277
Waste of dubs t.b.h.
>>
>>557112
Coffee comsumption only got that high by the nineteenth century, before that only a few drank it
>>
>>557279
>>557293
Two butthurt autists.

>>557288
One alright post.

So, it seems this board is 1/3 okay. There must be something worth salvaging out of this board. There are going to have to be drastic measures to save this board.

I'm thinking that someday soon, maybe with help, I am going to create outside of the board great quality posts. For many topics, have a vast amount of historical information with citations and sources for further reading by those interested. Also, to go along with every post will be great images pertaining to the topic at hand.
Then, in the span of about an hour, I will create several of these threads for the different topics and dump everything I have into them.
For one day, maybe we can have good threads on this board.
>>
>>557384
Maybe you should stop expecting what you're expecting. This is 4chan, if you're going to wear a fedora don't act like you aren't wearing one.
>>
Coffee tastes like shit and people who drink it regularly essentially become caffeine junkies.
It even fucks your teeth up.
>>
>>557406
Just came to say this

Stop fucking pushing the fedora meme
>>
JUST FUCK MY TEETH UP
>>
>>557112
>Is coffee the foundation of post-Enlightenment Western civilization?
I don't know, but I do know that my lunch doesn't feel complete if I don't drink some coffee at the end.
Sipping some right now btw.
>>
>>557406

loool we shud post le epics memes Right XDD :P le 8gag armoy is her!!!!!!!!
>>
this meme again
>>556997
>>
>>557112
No.

No European Coffee = No Cafe = Intellectuals would just meet in some bar/tavern/restaurant or something.

Just like in Germany.
>>
File: 146378281.jpg (74 KB, 391x439) Image search: [Google]
146378281.jpg
74 KB, 391x439
>>557112
Well... Coffee and Tea were among the motivations to discover a route to India, leading to the colonization of the New World... The Enlightenment began in the New World... The southern bits of which were largely funded by coffee and tea exports... Thus... Yeah, maybe ~5%.

Beyond that though, I'd have to see the documentary to which you are referring.
>>
>>557277
The best way to ignore shitposters is to carry on the conversation as if they didn't exist.

That being said, I have nothing meaningful to add to this thread.
>>
Coffee is originally Arab/Turkish drink that got popular only in 17th century through contacts with Ottomans. There's a story how Austrians found sacks full of coffee beans in the abandoned Turkish camps after the siege of Vienna in 1683. They thought it smelled nicely and gave it a try, soon afterwards first coffee houses opened in Vienna and then in the rest of Europe
>>
>>559297
So, next time someone asks me to "name one good thing that Islam has done for us!" - I can say "FUCKING COFFEE!", rather than default to the preservation of Aristotle/zero meme?
>>
>>557112
coffee is shit 2bh
impact of tea and tea trade was far larger
>>
>>557458
If you have never needed caffeine then you probably haven't applied yourself enough to a challenging career.
>>
>>559817
But that's like crediting Christianity with the Moon Landing.
>>
I certainly do feel enlightened when I consume based caffeine.
>>
>>559817
not really, because the ottomans actually didn't like coffee drinkers much, thinking it was degeneracy, that sort of thing. they just couldn't help their people drinking it. coffee houses were seen as dangerous to public health and state security, much as they would be seen later on in europe.

>the eternal bean
>>
File: starbucks_cylon.jpg (27 KB, 426x318) Image search: [Google]
starbucks_cylon.jpg
27 KB, 426x318
>>560259
But... They were right...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGUYeiGtNk
>>
Our greatest contribution to the world

Without Ethiopia the world would be a very different place :3
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.