[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>many people have been credited with the title of peanut-butter-inventor,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: MTE5NTU2MzE2MTc3OTkxMTc5.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NTU2MzE2MTc3OTkxMTc5.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
>many people have been credited with the title of peanut-butter-inventor, among them George Washington Carver. However, he did not invent peanut butter; instead he promoted more than 300 uses for peanuts, among other crops such as soy beans and sweet potatoes

300 uses for peanut butter, none of which survive to this day, and he couldn't think up peanut butter?

You either eat them as peanuts, or you eat them as peanut butter, 300 uses my asss.

Fucking pathetic.

Who else is remembered from history who was utterly worthless?
>>
>>555538

Yes, I did watch American Dad too.
>>
>>555542
I've never watched american dad.

I heard Obama talking about George Washington Carver, so I googled him and was thoroughly disgusted.
>>
>He didn't invent peanut butter therefore he is utterly worthless

American as fuck.
>>
>>555552
Everyone remembers him as the guy who invented peanut butter, and he didn't even do that.
Please, tell me why people still know his name.
>>
>>555569

Cause.>>555542

And remember, not everyone is American.
>>
>>555569
because they all thought he did and probably because he was black. Not that difficult OP
>>
File: Carver1web.jpg (39 KB, 441x599) Image search: [Google]
Carver1web.jpg
39 KB, 441x599
>>555569
Fuck you, the man was a legit botanist. He developed more than 100 different ways to make use of the peanut. You ungrateful little shit.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/carver-peanut/
>>
if an upstanding white man like Henry Ford was a fan of him then so should you be
>>
>>555538
What kind of fat fuck eats peanut butter? Is there anyone outside of the US that eat peanut butter?

Anyway the reason for why he promoted peanut butter was to not make the soil as fucked up as it became when you only used cotton.
>>
>>555569
As a non-American, it seemingly is primarily due to him being a black man of note as opposed to his achievements, which is a shame.
>>
>>555624
A lot of gains for a good price.
>>
>>555624
German soldiers apparently loved peanut butter when they were POWs in America. It's good stuff. You just don't like it because you have that edgy anti American thing going on.
>>
>>555636

>Being liked by German soldiers is somewhat an argument in favour
>>
File: 1443110271762.jpg (134 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1443110271762.jpg
134 KB, 550x550
>>555624
Its funny you bring up America, being as dumb as an American and all.
>>
>>555641
German soldiers were just normal German people.
>>
>>555624
It's delicious and nutritious.

peanut butter on apple is the snack of champions.
>>
>>555538
Because he did a fuckton if things foe agriculture you fucking faggot.

Bet you don't even know about the green revolution.
>>
>>555831
>Because he did a fuckton if things foe agriculture you fucking faggot.

So do a lot of other people faggot but his most popular achievement was peanut butter of which he didn't even invented.

>Bet you don't even know about the green revolution.
Why the fuck did Norman Borlaug have to do with this nigger at all?
>>
File: 1395832707202.gif (48 KB, 816x713) Image search: [Google]
1395832707202.gif
48 KB, 816x713
>>555538
>many people have been credited with the title of peanut-butter-inventor, among them George Washington Carver. However, he did not invent peanut butter; instead he promoted more than 300 uses for peanuts, among other crops such as soy beans and sweet potatoes

Peanut butter is quirky and fun. Using crop rotation to combat nutrient depletion, salinity, erosion, leaching and acidity is technical and boring.
>>
>>555856
Misconceptions in history are hardly rare and everything else hes done is seen as boring.Why is this such a difficult concept?
>>
>>555538
Peanut oil and peanut brittle are gr8 op. Not sure if gwc thought those up
>>
>>555866
This guy gets it
>>
>>555569
>Please, tell me why people still know his name.

Same reason as so many people think Neil de Grasse Tyson is a great scientist.
I don't really need to tell you, do I?
>>
>>555569
The Jews
>>
>>555629
Or perhaps he's wondering why someone would whip a man, before making him pick cotton.
>>
>>555538
>Who else is remembered from history who was utterly worthless?
By this standard, Brian Boru. Didn't even fight the vikings.
>>
>>555538
>Who else is remembered from history who was utterly worthless?

He wasn't worthless at all. When people hear about the peanut thing they probably assume he was just obsessed with peanuts. What he was trying to do is be proactive in encouraging American farmers to grow peanuts because they are a massive boon to crop rotation. They naturally reintroduce nitrogen into the soil that gets leached out when growing other staple crops like wheat, over time depleting the soil of its fertility.

He was trying to save us all. The inventions weren't what he was truly aiming for, getting people to take legumes seriously as a staple crop was.

I used to think he was over hyped as some quirky nut nutcase but Carver was legit.
>>
>>555538

Carver is far more important as a black thinker on racism and his vision of how to end it than as an agronomistic innovator of peanuts.

Since studying his actual views on race in public school would invite a serious debate on the subject (to be complemented by figures like Du Bois, Garvey, MLK and Malcolm X) he's been marginalized to the role of being an example of black technical innovation.

Similar things have happened to MLK and Malcolm X.

Taking these figures seriously amounts to taking race seriously and thus taking a critical attitude to the "post-racial" liberalism of the present (which is cracking open before our eyes).

Cornel West calls it the "Santa-Clausification" of MLK, which is a funny term that captures his reduction to a few soundbites about not being judged by the color of skin and so forth. A similar thing has happened to Carver, which is odd because he's much closer to contemporary conservative black views of race. Maybe it's just a product of the overall garbage-tier quality of American public education: nobody knows anything, not teachers, not students, and nobody reads anymore.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.