[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the history of Christian Zionism? What made so many
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: 23242321.jpg (114 KB, 600x402) Image search: [Google]
23242321.jpg
114 KB, 600x402
What's the history of Christian Zionism?
What made so many Christians think it is their God-given duty to help a secular state where Christian missionary work is banned?
I suppose this actually is okay on here since the history of Christian Zionism is older than 25 years.
>>
>>786183
Christian end-times mythology says that the Jews returning to the holy land is one of the events leading up to the end of the world, and eventually, the second coming of Christ.
>>
>>786183

One time, a group calling itself the "Friends of Israel" wanted to speak at our shul. Not doing too much investigation, I at least only found out they were a Christian Zionist group when their guy started talking.

From what I remember, they believe that the second coming requires the antichrist to do something or other, and that a Jewish state needed to be around as a backdrop, I think to either fall to him or oppose him or something.

It was a long time ago, and he was being vigorously boooed, so I don't really have a firm grip on their position: but I'm pretty sure it's grounded in a perception that a Jewish state is needed for Christian prophecy.
>>
>>786183
There exists an Israel today because there were British and American christian zionists working on it for decades, if not over a century.

It is ponderous that christians will monetarily support the rebuilding of the temple, which can do nothing but give the impression that once the Jews have a temple again, and start sacrificing animals again, they can go right back to their Old Covenant practices and be.....condemned still.

Ponderous.

At any rate, from what I understand, the third temple is ready to be erected and filled and staffed with a moment's notice.
>>
>>786202
>perception that a Jewish state is needed for Christian prophecy.

Yeah, after we get yoinked out of here, the world ruler desecrates the temple in Jerusalem in Israel.

So all of those things have to be in place, or we don't get yoinked.

And we very much do want to be yoinked.
>>
>>786202
>I think to either fall to him or oppose him or something.

To accept him as the messiah.
>>
Christtards being christtards, as usual.

I wish christposters were given a homeland, so that they didn't bother me. Preferably a island, in the Pacific
>>
>>786233
yfw you open a thread about Christianity and find Christians.

As you oppose free speech, I have to assume you are a liberal. A godless liberal.
>>
>>786221
That's the entire point. There will come a point when the sacrifices will start up, then the Antichrist will stop them and profane the temple, this is called the abomination of desolation.
>>
>>786226
>eah, after we get yoinked out of here, the world ruler desecrates the temple in Jerusalem in Israel.
>So all of those things have to be in place, or we don't get yoinked.
>And we very much do want to be yoinked.

Is the rapture really a thing in biblical narrative? It's never specifically told that way.
>>
>>786324
Yup. And I'm sky 42 months prior to that day. Sounds like you are too.
>>
>>786593
It is, actually.

1 Thessalonians 4
For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.

Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Comforting.
>>
>>786194
This, Christian evangelists in the US need Jews to be in Israel so that the prophecies in Revelations can be completed. You have to wonder the wisdom in trying to usher in the end of the world, but I guess they're well meaning.
>>
>>786651
as >>786226 said, all believes get yoinked up to heaven and everyone else gets left behind to live in shitty endtimes.
>>
>>786609
So remember kids, no matter what your preacher taught you, you don't get to go to heaven till JC gets back.
>>
So, if Secular people and anyone who don't care about the bible prophety about Israel would decide to cut all support for the state of Israel, would you be fine with that?
>>
>>786787
Of course not, Christians entire lives are predicated on the idea that their book is 100% accurate and truthful. That's why so many politicians are forced to suck Israel's cock even though our continued relationship with Israel is probably one of the worse diplomatic disasters the US has had to deal with in the last century.
>>
>>786799
It's not even all Christians that care that much about Israel, those that do just got a lot of power.
>>
>>786662
Nope. That's not it at all

The saved people who have died, their spirits are in heaven. They'll be reunited with their bodies and the saved people who are alive on earth when the rapture happens will go to heaven in their bodies
>>
>>786799

You might want to check out "The Thirty two billion dollar bargain". It's a bit dated, but a lot of the analysis still holds as to why Israel is a net benefit for the U.S.
>>
>>786183
>What's the history of Christian Zionism?

The notion of jewish restorationism among christians begins among dirty low english seperatists like the puritans and other rabble rousing rebels like that.

It didn't really get to be popular, though, until after scofield's bible got popular in the early 20th century.

Scofield's bible proffered a highly dispensationalist, futurist (that is, most prophecies in the bible are describing future events) and pre-tribulation millenialist viewpoint.

Mix scofield's bible with the rise of hard-core literalism that arose among the historical fundamentalists, and you get an eschatology that basically requires the jews to be in the levant with their own state and a functioning temple before christ can return...

>>786194
be more specific. Pre-trib dispensationalist futurist end-times mythology say what you say...not general christian myth.

The general christian myth is "christ will come again and christians get life everlasting".

>>786593
>Is the rapture really a thing in biblical narrative?

The rapture in the sense of "we leave with christ at the end of the world" is biblical, but the notion of the pre-trib rapture that is commonly understood by the bubba-fucks who actually use the term "rapture" for this event is not...it's an exegetical innovation of the mid 1800s originating with john nelson darby.

The "great tribulation" of the millenarian may even be a past event that occured under roman rule...the futurism-preterism debate makes all the difference as to how one reads the damn book.

>>786787
As a christian, I actively dislike the state of israel. I dislike the types of christians who believe in futurist prophecies, pre-trib rapture and dispensationalism more than I dislike anything else as far as religion goes.

>>786799
only low church radical protestants believe israel (the country) is needed for prophetic reasons.
>>
>>787293
>The Thirty two billion dollar bargain

thirty six million, btw.
>>
>>787321

You're right about 36, but it is Billion with a B, not Million with an M.

Sorry.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Billion-Dollar-Bargain-Assistance/dp/0231071965
>>
>>787324
>>787324
>>787324
eh, I'm drunk...
>>
>>787325

Hey, it's cool, I got the title wrong too, and I'm the one who recommended it.
>>
>>787324
either way, do you have a free link to this book in pdf or so?

I'd rather not pay to learn about why I need to love paying the jews....it's a sort of contradictory introduction to the matter of trusting jews if you follow me :^)
>>
>>787348

Well, I've got a hardcopy myself.

This site claims you can read it for free if you sign up (also free) but I haven't tried it myself and I can't claim there isn't some hidden catch.

http://ozhio.majorlabelnews.com/the_36_billion_dollar_bargain_strategy_and/

This link ought to work, but it doesn't seem to be working for me, maybe you can get it to:

http://mebarabaoyunlari.net/library/drq/thirty-six-billion-dollar-bargain-u-s-aid-to-israel-and-american-public-opinion.pdf

But that's all I've got, I'm afraid.

If you want a VERY tldr version, it goes as follows:

For domestic reasons, Washington can't be seen as getting too chummy with repressive dictatorships. The domestic base wants to see America dealing from a position of punitive strength and judgment. However, the actual use of threatened force often can't attain America's policy goals in the Middle East, while the U.S. certainly has overwhelming force, it's viewed as too hesitant to actually employ it, and too quick to duck and run should things get hot.

Israel functions as kind of an attack dog in the region. They're always willing to go tearing on at the Arabs for a host of real and imagined reasons. Thus, the threat of loosening Israel's leash is often more effective than the threat of direct intervention in the ME, but to do that, we need to keep Israel around.
>>
It's always Evangelicals, and other Protestants who rabidly support Israel. Why not Catholics and Orthodox?
>>
>>787314
You are antichrist.
>>
>>787403
They are antichrist.
>>
>>787414
Who? The Protestants?
>>
>>787412
>You are antichrist.
on what proof do you claim this?
>>
>>787403
For Catholics and the Orthodox the Church is Israel. Whether or not there is a literal Israeli state is irrelevant to the faith.
>>
>>787460
If anything, the Western and Eastern Churches would prefer that Israel were in CHRISTIAN hands, not Jewish ones.
>>
>>787493
Did you even read what he wrote, anon...
>>
>>787537
I read what he wrote. Doesn't mean the Church, both Churches, wouldn't love to physically possess the Holy Land. That was one of the ulterior motives for the Crusades.
>>
Lots of christians like jews just because they're an oddity and because we share some kind of kinship between us.
>>
>>787493

It would be an improvement desu senpai.

I dont care though because i dont live there so it can rot for all it matters. Jews need a place to be put anyways so all the ones crawling through western social structures should really leave and go to their own country.
>>
File: 100-dollars-fuckoff.jpg (24 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
100-dollars-fuckoff.jpg
24 KB, 500x375
>>787566
Yes Jesus is in both out holy books
The part where Jews depict him boiling in excrement for an eternity in hell truly shows that they're our greatest ally
>>
>>787648
*our
>>
>>787648

And the other parts where the Jews depict him as a traveling healer, or a scholar?
>>
It's almost exclusively a British and American thing. It even mutated into bigger horseshit religions like Messianic Judaism and Mormonism that just ran the LE LOST TRIBES meme to the ground.

Moreover, continental Christians never really liked Jews and more often than not outright hated them. This applies to everyone from Spanish Catholics through German Lutherans to Russian Orthodox.

I have no idea why certain protestant sects in the British Isles began jerking off to Jews and considering them their friends, but it's objectively them who started this shit.
>>
>>787658
>And the other parts where the Jews depict him as a traveling healer, or a scholar?
They call it sorcery and heresy which he's put to death for
>>
>>787668

No, they quite literally don't. Check out Avodah Zarah 17a or 27b.
>>
>>787314
>be more specific

It's in the book of revelations.
>>
>>787662
basically this
>>
>>787363
When was the last time Israel attacked someone? They don't even have the military capability of waging a full scale offensive, do they? Not to mention if they attacked one country they'd probably get gang raped by all their allies like they almost did in the six day war.
>>
>>787708

>When was the last time Israel attacked someone?

Offhand, the Gaza offensive, in the summer of 2014.

>They don't even have the military capability of waging a full scale offensive, do they?

Sure they do. Occupation? No, but to attack and defeat and cause massive damage in any of their neighbors? Hell yeah.

>Not to mention if they attacked one country they'd probably get gang raped by all their allies like they almost did in the six day war.

And that's precisely what the threat, from the U.S. to the surrounding Arab nations is: The real protection the surrounding states have from Israel is in the form of U.S. and European diplomatic pressure, not really what the Arabs themselves can do or even internal dissent within Israel. If the leash is loosed....
>>
>>787662
British colonists, when they weren't corporate merchants and bankers heading off to India, were very religious to begin with. They viewed the New World as a new promised land as opposed to the Spanish and French who mostly saw the land as heathen country needing subjugation and education in the faith.

So they saw themselves as new Israelites in a new promised land (with some Canaanites they could drive off now and then) where they could form their perfect religious communes free of the old Church of Rome or England
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.