[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 8_kossak_woj.jpg (859 KB, 950x746) Image search: [Google]
8_kossak_woj.jpg
859 KB, 950x746
I want to study and hope to get a job in the field of history. I live somewhere around Vancouver (BC, Canada), so I am planning on perhaps going to SFU or UBC for history studies. The thing is, I absolutely love the study of history, particularly 14th-21st century European, though I really can't think of any other job which is history related apart from becoming a professor/teacher. I hear that history teachers aren't in high demand here. Is there any prospect of me following my passion of history into a life career? Does anybody have some insight on this topic?

How fucked and/or retarded am I /his/?

Thanks!
>>
>>553146
You're fucked.

European history requires 3 languages other than english at archival / academic standard. I'm told that German is obligatory in the North American system.

You then need access to archival material that noone else is using which your potential eventual employers will be horny for. You are predicting this about 16 years out.

You then need 3 books. Your PhD is the first one. The second one gets you a tenure track position. The third one confirms your tenure.

You will need to move for work. The American historical association basically runs whore selection interviews in the hotel rooms above conference. You're wheeled in in your lingerie and they write little notes in their book. "But we really wanted a cultural historian of women's history in the Netherlands in the 1700s, not a social historian of gender history in the low countries in the 1600s."

boom. 10 years of PhD down the drain.

By the way, during that 10 years prepare to eat offal like you've never eaten before.

Also you know that little shit in the tutorials you were in? Guess who you get to try to control so that the other 29 kids can learn for 6 hours a week so you can eat tripe and kidney sandwiches during your 14 hour days?

Or you could go for a librarianship MA or archivist MA or curatorial MA after your BA and enjoy the wonders of oversupply of labour in those professional fields.

Getting a disability pension after your PhD is also a possibility, but it means you'll need to restrict yourself to Canadian history and learn to find a trailer park within bicycling distance of a major archive.

Good luck, you'll need it.
>>
>>553224
I almost forgot.

You could teach secondary education and try to pump out a journal article every 2 years and drink yourself to death.
>>
Is teaching secondary education a poor choice? From what I remember the high school curriculum was easy and straightforward. From the teachers that I have asked about the pay, they said that it's pretty decent and definitely survivable.
>>
>>553146

Go into it with the plan of teaching high school, m8. Get a bachlelor's in history then a master's in teaching.
>>
>>553969

That is my best case scenario plan, but I simply want to hear from people who may have some experience in this topic to give give me some insight.
>>
>>553354
>Is teaching secondary education a poor choice? From what I remember the high school curriculum was easy and straightforward. From the teachers that I have asked about the pay, they said that it's pretty decent and definitely survivable.

You need an avocation to teach the little shits.

You will be permanently assigned to a backwater school with severe social issues retarding children's ability to learn.

You will hate the curriculum.

You had better join the union.

You won't have enough free time to conduct research.
>>
>>554082

I have semi-relevant experience with teaching and handling teenagers. I'm planning on staying in my suburban area and from what I gather from my past teachers, not many apply for the teacher master's degree, and even less actually get in, so by that logic, shouldn't I have a fair shot at being where I am?

How is the pay? You mentioned that I will have no time for personal study, aren't academic breaks such as the summer break perfect for that free time?
>>
>>554136
>aren't academic breaks such as the summer break perfect for that free time?
You'll be too gutted. At least in my system the number of weeks off is 4. When every other public institution (think: archive) shuts down.

Hey, look, if you think you can make it, do it. Here BA/MEd (Secondary) are dime a dozen.

>pay
Join the union.
>>
>>554152

If you are dealing with teenagers in a high school, why would you be all that busy? If you are teaching the same curriculum all of the time, wouldn't it be easy just to recycle all of your assignments and resources every year with maybe minor changes? Let's say you start the day, come to the school, go through all of the classes, finish the day at whatever time school ends, then you go home and mark a few assignments. By the way which you and teachers which I have spoken to in the past say it, it seems like I am clearly missing a lot of details why a teacher is so busy. Could you care to explain?

As for the union, are there any benefits of staying out? Does joining suddenly guarantee more pay?

I know that I am asking a lot, but the online resources which explain this are barebones and really don't tell me more than the obvious.
>>
>>554276
>why would you be all that busy?
term prep. compulsory work place indoctrination. mandatory currency training.

>If you are teaching the same curriculum all of the time
Then you're not doing your job.

Assessment is 18 pages per hour when you're competent.

>finish the day at whatever time school ends
No, you'd work to 5. That's when you have the staff meetings.

Here's a day:
8am arrive, supervise school entry of students for OSH & playground, report two students
9am-12pm 3 hours back to back three different years, 12 different behavioural problems. Mandatory curriculum that they can't connect with and you think is stupid.
12pm-1pm lunch, because you did the 8am shift. Tomorrow you have to do lunch.
1-2pm 1 hour with the class you actually like, which includes behaviour problems relating to gifted attention seekers.
2-3pm lesson plan and preparation, attempt to mark. The alcoholic senior head teacher tries to bully you into backing her in the staff meeting, meaning you'll need to do this at home.
3-5pm meeting &tc

>As for the union, are there any benefits of staying out?
Depends if you cross my picket line and how you feel about having metal in your jaw.

>Does joining suddenly guarantee more pay?
You seem to be pre-undergraduate. You might think about reading some labour history, Hammond & Hammond's Town Labourer is fun.

The boss (usually with teachers some arm of the state, local, regional, federal) wishes to screw more work for less pay out of you. They will use inflation against you. Let's take a long term plan:
Inflation 3%.

Every time you wage bargain you need to make 3% wages or you're losing money relatively speaking. Now you might get more commodities this year than last, but you will be losing relatively. If you're not a union member then the chances of getting the 3%+ you need decrease. More, if you want to change the long term position of teachers (for instance: reduced class sizes, to increase quality) you need a militant union.
>>
First time on /his/

Are there any "essential" reads for philosophy books, or any recommended philosophical literature that you guys have to share with me?

I have not yet delved into philosophy at all.

Thanks
>>
>>554348
>Are there any "essential" reads for philosophy books
Start with the greeks.

* https://www.jstor.org/stable/23074778?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
* http://plato-dialogues.org/email/950404_1.htm

actually no fuck that just read Zizek and Deleuze. {{sniff}}
>>
>>554348
Oh yes, and there are two scholarly encyclopædia for the english speaking reader of philosophy:

stanford encyclopedia of philosophy (SEP) and
internet encyclopedia of philosophy (IEP)

USE THEM THEY'RE FREE
>>
What is a man
>>
>>554320

I really appreciate you responding with honesty. The whole reason why I asked this in the first place is that whenever I try to speak with a prof, they often seem to either over exaggerate how bad their job is and how much of a saint they are for putting up with shitty large classrooms and an oppressive local minister, or they try to hide what you have just said.

The reason why I asked about the teacher's union is because from what teachers tell me, it seems that even in unions they seem to be bullied by hierarchy so I'm wondering if there is a drastic difference in joining/staying out.

You seem to come from rather shitty school, from what I remember from my high school is that the teachers mostly got along and I don't remember any teacher with noticeable crippled alcoholism.

Thanks again for putting up with my naive and stupid questions.
>>
>>554397
a meat popsicle.

>>554410
>it seems that even in unions they seem to be bullied by hierarchy so I'm wondering if there is a drastic difference in joining/staying out.

It is better to be inside pissing out than a scab.

>You seem to come from rather shitty school
I came from one of the most desirable schools to teach at in my region in the public system. I just have eyes to see. Also me mum worked early childhood/adult basic education.

No worries. Try ringing the union and asking them.
>>
>>554320
fifel you aren't even canadian or American why are you responding like you know what you are talking about

>Depends if you cross my picket line and how you feel about having metal in your jaw.

lel, as if.
>>
>>554355
>>554363

Thank you guys, I'll check these resources out.
>>
>>554414
>fifel you aren't even canadian or American why are you responding like you know what you are talking about.

You sound like you might know a fair bit on this topic, care to answer my questions in your own way?
>>
>>554473
If you are Canadian and can manage to get residency in the US there are job opportunities available in the 48 states. Community colleges usually only require a masters still and if you get your degree in European history you can easily transition into teaching World history survey courses. Not sure how readily US institutions accept Canadian degrees though, I guess it depends on the prestige of your university.
>>
I have a question, how did empires that didn't speak the same language communicate? Like how did the Spaniards communicate with the Aztecs, or how did the pilgrims communicate with the natives?
>>
>>554515
You fuck a woman until you learn bed talk.
>>
>>554515

I too, am interested in this.
>>
>>554515
>>555908

Learning, submerging into a language is a very effective way to learn.

Cortés found a Spanish man who had spent years among the Mayans after a shipwreck, later he was given some slaves as present, among them his future wife, who acted as translator with the Spanish dude till she learnt Spanish.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.