[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else get very sad when they study history, particularly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 693995.jpg (74 KB, 677x782) Image search: [Google]
693995.jpg
74 KB, 677x782
Does anyone else get very sad when they study history, particularly great individuals?

I recently watched the 'Alexander' movie Ultimate Edition (this thread isn't about the movie), and I realised when it ended that nothing I ever do in my life could even come close to that.

I'm sort of miffed I won't be able to leave my mark on the history books like he did.

Within 4 generations, no one will have known you even existed - much less care about you. However, names like Caesar, Napoleon and Alexander the Great will live on for thousands of years.
>>
Who cares if history remembers a few conquerors. Oh no the faggot who killed thousands of people is better than me waahhhh
>>
>>551485

>senior
>majored in history
>see it's all the same
>deep depression
>damned near didn't graduate

We all go through it.
>>
>>551485
Just get a high score.
>>
>>551485
you probably could be remembered for a long time if you where successful enough.
>>
>>551513
It's about leaving a legacy, where people 2000 years in the future still admire what you accomplished

>>551519
You mean history repeats itself?
>>
*feele
>>
>>551485
You can always go out and try to kill your head of state, if leaving your mark in history books concerns you that much.

Personally I don't really care. Being remembered a thousand years from now for your achievements sounds nice, but what does it matter? Caesar and the unknown legionnaire serving under him are dead all the same, and so will be you and me.
If the unkown legionnaire managed to build himself a good and productive life, founded a family with a sweet girl and proceeded lived to ripe old age, sometimes telling his grandchildren stories from his time in the arme, until he peacefully passed away amidst his loving family - well, then I'd rather be the legionnaire than the famous dude who got stabbed to death by his own adoptive son.
>>
And that's why great man theory is bullshit, it's literally pleb tier with bland remembering of dates, battles and names
>>
>>551569
great man theory? i have never heard of it. it would be appreciated if you provided some useful links regarding this.
>>
>>551563
>You can always go out and try to kill your head of state, if leaving your mark in history books concerns you that much.
This is my plan, personally. At around age 35.

Yes, we definitely feel this depression.

Alternatively, depression at seeing where something went horribly wrong, or how a great man's work was totally undone. Gets me every time.
>>
Stop being a faggot and do something great if you care.
>>
Became a modern Herostratus and go burn public buildings
>>
Leaning about history has never depressed me, however it has inspired and motived me
>>
I read a lot of stuff about Genghis Khan a few years back.

It started after I saw a BBC documentary on him. The ending made me feel.

Even though he was a warlord, he was so damn good at it it's hard not to respect him.

This is the last part of the documentary where he dies. But if you don't know anything about him watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14W0E4X2TU8
>>
>>551576
>>551569

Isn't this the sort of thing that cuck John Green espouses?

Get out of here with that horseshit.
>>
>>551569
Regardless you can't ignore the impact that great men have had on history. Example: Genghis Khan
>>
Yeah, I feel that way pretty often. You also have to remember that eventually our solar system will die out and nobody really knows if humans will ever have the capability to colonize a different solar system. Everything returns to dust in the end.
I should point out that great men come in many shapes and sizes though. You may not know their names, but there are tons of people who have had a significant impact on our lives. Just think about all the inventions you use every day. The medical, scientific, mechanical, legal, and educational systems that you benefit from. Millions of people worked to create these things. Millions of people work to maintain them and make things work. If you are a productive member of society you should feel good about it. It's true that people might not remember who you were, but your deeds will make a difference anyway.
>>
File: 1450460416189.jpg (160 KB, 1024x619) Image search: [Google]
1450460416189.jpg
160 KB, 1024x619
>>551485
I don't get sad over accomplishments, but I often times find myself becoming very depressed when reading about the experiences of soldiers in certain wars.

The Great War in particular has ruined me emotionally.
>>
>>553011
As an Australian I read
>_ _ _ _ _
>_ _ _ _
>_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ CUNT
>_ _ _ _
>_ _ _ _ _ _ _
>_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
>_ _ _ CUNT _ _
>_ _ _
>_ _ _ _ _ _ _ CUNT
>...
>ATATÜRK 1934

Before you cast aspersions, know too, that this is what the earnest Australian tourists to ANZAC cove see when they shit on the hillsides, drunkenly, on the 24th of April eve.
>>
>>551569
You can't make a sweeping statement like that. The great man theory works on a case by case basis. Napoleon and Hitler were definitely products of their times, but there was no tumultuous shake up of mongol society during the rise of Genghis Khan, ditto Middle Eastern society during Alexander. Some men can change the flow of society by their actions alone.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.