[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>history class >teacher calls Alexander the Great "the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11
File: columbus.jpg (41 KB, 590x442) Image search: [Google]
columbus.jpg
41 KB, 590x442
>history class
>teacher calls Alexander the Great "the Kanye of his time"
>>
>>550732
At least he tried.
>>
>yeezus album
>kanye raps "I keep it 300 like the romans"
>>
File: absolutely barbaric.jpg (88 KB, 600x709) Image search: [Google]
absolutely barbaric.jpg
88 KB, 600x709
>history class
>teacher compares what we learn to last night's episode of Game of Thrones
>>
>>550782
>history class
>fucking hell I have to get a good quality evaluation
>these little shits will rank me on off-university sites
>I want that fucking promotion
>what was I watching last night
>while smoking cones with Geoff to come down from being grilled over teaching performance

So just like last night in Game of Thrones...
>>
>history class
>topic is slavery and teacher claims that there are no genetic differencea between races
>there is only one race, the human race
>>
>history class
>gutenberg invented printing press
>>
File: wake me up.jpg (131 KB, 619x412) Image search: [Google]
wake me up.jpg
131 KB, 619x412
>english literature class
>i tell the teacher im going to do my essay on ivanhoe
>"oh is that the book thats sort of like game of thrones?"
>>
>>550732

Who is Kanye?
>>
>>551446
He is the greatest wrapper alive.
>>
>>551451

What is a wrapper?
>>
>topic is slavery
>"the white devil invented slavery, going to the peaceful continent of africa for raping and sacking children and women while taking every men for slave"
>>
>>551458
What is?
>>
File: 1271284653475.jpg (53 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1271284653475.jpg
53 KB, 400x400
>>550732
>the Kanye of his time
>>
>>551451
Where was he around Christmas? I had a ton of gifts that needed to be wrapped.
>>
>history course
>teacher brings up jesus
>>
>having sex
>she screams out OH GOD YES
>try to ignore it for a few seconds, but then I slow down and gather my wits after thinking about it for a little while, before pulling a face like 'not this fucking notion again' and going '...really?...you actually believe in god? where the fuck do I even begin with this shit?'
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 174x289) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 174x289
>EY YO EY YO HOL UP HOL UP
>SO THEY WUZ THESE PECKAWOODS WHO WALKED AROUN NEKKID AN THEY B THROWIN DISCS ROUND LIKE SUM NIGGA THROWS AROUND DEM REKKIDS ON DA WHEELS OF STEEL NOWAMSAYIN?
>AN THEY WUZ ALL SLOW AN SHIT AN NIGGAS WUNT ALLOWED TO COMPETE SO THEY WON ERRTHING
>BUT THAT SHIT CHANGED WIF MA NIGGAS DA PERSIANS, THEY WUZ ALL LIKE EY YO, HOL UP, WE NIGGAS GON FUC U UP
>AN DEN DA GREEKS, WHO R DA HONKEY PECKAWOODS, THEY BE OPPRESSIN DA PERSIANS, BUT DA PERSIANS ACTUALLY WON COS DEY USED DAT BLACK EGYPTAIN SPACE MAGIC DAT MA NIGGA SUN RA USED
>BUT DEN DA PO-LEES CAME AN SHUT DAT SHIT DOWN AN DA PERSIANS WEN BACK TO AFRICA, AN DEY WUZ OPPRESSED UNTIL WE NIGGA GOT BACK TOGETHER AN MLK AN MALCOLM X FORMED DA POSSE AGAIN
>>
>>550732
Hewitt?>>550756
>>
File: 1443908412954.gif (799 KB, 200x189) Image search: [Google]
1443908412954.gif
799 KB, 200x189
>>550732
>history class
>watching crash course history
>>
>>550732
>History 1301
>The Civil War was because of slaves
>>
>>551431
Johannesburg Gutenberg did invent the printing press.
The Chinese had an earlier version of said press using movable type but it certainly is a stretch to call it a printing press.
The first printing press that we can actually call a legitimate printing press was the one developed by Gutenberg.
>>
>>551843
>Jesus possesses no historicity
Neither does Socrates yet he mentioned in almost every history class ever.

Jesus does have historical evidence, both Tacitus and Josephus have referred to the "the Christ", an emperor I believe received a letter from the province concerning the trial of "king of the Jews".
>>
>>550782

Nothing wrong with that. Stupid soap-opera writing aside, it offers an accessible view of feudalism which is tough for people born and raised in nation-states to get their minds around.
>>
>>552682
>Neither does Socrates yet he mentioned in almost every history class ever.

I've never mentioned Socrates in any of the post 1688 courses I teach.

Socrates was never mentioned in any of the undergraduate history courses I took.
>>
>>552780
>>552786
My bad, I meant to ask

Where DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL and what school do you teach at?
>>
>>552786
>1688
I teach at a University.
>>
>college course
>mandatory US history class
>we skipped all the wars that happened to focus on social changes
>first essay was on Spanish Mestisos in South America and on effects of colonization
>second on Thomas Jefferson
>third on Malcolm X and MLK
>we skipped World Wars entirely to instead talk about Gandhi
>I'm procrastinating instead of writing that shitty deadline
>[spoiler]I live in Eastern Europe[/spoiler]
>[spoiler]I can't relate to the topic at all because my country had no hand in colonialism[/spoiler]
>[spoiler]I didn't enjoy the Spike Lee film I was supposed to watch for research[/spoiler]
>>
>>552791
>Where DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL
A top 40 research university.

>and what school do you teach at?
A top 50 research university.
>>
File: all day nigga.jpg (111 KB, 475x545) Image search: [Google]
all day nigga.jpg
111 KB, 475x545
>>550757
>300 bitches
>where the Trojans?
>>
>>551460
>sack a child
>doesn't even cough up gold
niggers are pretty useless
>>
>>552806

>expecting muh wars in college

Serves you right
>>
>>552840
Last year I had an UK history course which didn't skip on anything and covered wars at least in such a way as to acknowledge them.

Why are wars not a college material anyway?
>>
>>552846
Not him, but military history from what I hear is looked pretty down upon, especially in regards to tactics. I think that's bullshit though.
>>
>>552853
Thing is, I figure that an US history course that begins with research on the Latino people in Central-South America and then it's all about the racial conflicts and slavery.

Of all the Founding Fathers we wrote about, we wrote about Jefferson, the one guy whose biggest controversy right now is the way he treated slaves and what he wrote in the constitution about all free people.

Now it's Malcolm X, and our primary source is The Autobiography of Malcolm X and the Spike Lee movie adaptation.

Like I said, I'm in Eastern Europe, I could at least get some sort of perspective on the so called Yalta betrayal or something. Or the whole thing about the nukes and occupation of Japan. Or America as a world policeman. Or something.

I'm too casual of a history hobbyist to tell my teacher that she's doing a bad job or something; I'm mostly kinda venting, the topics haven't been that interesting to deal with. Sorry for the blog post.
>>
>>552867
WWs and Cold War are not "US History" bruv, you're looking for Contemporary History
>>
>>552875
Okay, I'm even more of a faggot then.
>>
>>552875
>cold war
>not us history
>>
>history class
>evil church burned down scientists, thought the earth was flat and kept people from bathing until science found old greek teachings
>>
>>552846
>Why are wars not a college material anyway?
Because they're either political history which is out, or military science.
>>
my history teacher said Vandals were Vikings

I know she meant Scandinavian but fucking come on
>>
>go to community college
>take Survey of American History
>first day professor says the pilgrims came to Virginia
>correct her and say Plymouth, MA
>she says that is wrong and everyone (90+ students) start laughing at me

Jesus Christ, worst way to start for my first History course. The only good thing I can say is she no longer is a professor, don't know the reason why, and I found a better professor. He was a former marine and loved to laugh at uneducated plebs.
>>
File: bloodied.jpg (46 KB, 669x377) Image search: [Google]
bloodied.jpg
46 KB, 669x377
my history teacher knew more than most but didn't take the time to research things fully and took stuff from reddit

he showed us this image as a part of images to show racism throughout american society up to the current day.

he taught me a lot but I wish he wasn't such a redditor about everything.
>>
File: 1452329013618.gif (903 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1452329013618.gif
903 KB, 300x200
>History class
>Topic is American Civil War
>While studying slavery always have someone set their ringtone to 'Slave to love'
>Repeat every single day occasionally taking a break to lull the teacher into a false sense of security before going back to normal

They key to it all was having a different person each day
>>
>History teachers without University level education

Is this allowed in America?
>>
>>550732
True.
>>
>>553140
But they did settle in Virgina.
>>
>>550732
>>550782

While admittedly annoying, teaching history on any level but university is hell simply because of having to make it relatable for little shits who have zero interest in it.

Though I do feel like some of the fault is in the curriculum for often centering on dates and names rather than context.
>>
>>550732
that isn't a bad description, our adoration of kanye is how human nature manifests itself nowadays, in the past kings would use that
>>
>>553221

It depends on the state honestly. I am a high school history teacher in PA and and education degree in our state is notoriously one of the most rigorous. Other states I've heard all you need is a pulse
>>
>>553240
Yes that's true, but I wasn't wrong either. And none of the students knew that either because most community college students have an iq below national average.
>>
>>552806

Why the hell would Ghandi be discussed in a US history class?
>>
>>553284
Inspiration of the civil rights movement in America most likely. Still that surely isn't anything more than a footnote.
>>
>>553292
Never mind the talented tenth ideology, or CPUSA, or Northern Migration ghettos, or Abyssinian pride movements.
>>
>>552806
>skip wars entiely to focus on social shit.
I live in the u.s. and they did that as well. There was maybe 3 paragraphs on the entire korean war but we were taught everything abouts womens suffrage.
>>
>>551445
Ivanhoe fuckin sucks m8, acquire better taste
>>
>>552875
United States by far had the most involvement in ww2 of any single country.
>>
>>550757
>>552831
he meant 300 in roman numerals CCC. for "Calm, Cool, Collected"
Kanye is smarter than you think
>>
>>550732
>Running course on US social history in the 1960s 1970s 1980s.
>First lecture.
>Think I'm hip.
>Think I'm with it.
>Put a mix tape in the cassette player in the lecture theatre.
>Load up the powerpoint of text only dot points.
>Press play.
>It ain't me starts playing.
>>
>>553569
You're really understating the contribution of the United States to winning WWII. The United States SINGLEHANDEDLY won WWII, which started in December 1941.
>>
>>550782
>Parasitology class
>Relates something to Game of Plebs, and everyone claps
>>
File: akari_unsure.png (923 KB, 1011x1088) Image search: [Google]
akari_unsure.png
923 KB, 1011x1088
>history of mathematics class
>prof says the Pythagoreans did nothing wrong
>>
>Comparing an entertainer/musician with a hereditary monarch and military leader

Not even fucking close
>>
>>553591
>>550757
truly our shakespeare
>>
>history class
>completely biased towards America
>>
>>555555
>>
>documentary
>hitler invaded poland
>hitler build this
>hitler did that
>>
>>551873
Underated post
>>
>>554379
He's not even real
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.