[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What things outside of STEM should I learn at my uni?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1450876338400.jpg (9 KB, 432x247) Image search: [Google]
1450876338400.jpg
9 KB, 432x247
What things outside of STEM should I learn at my uni?
>>
Logic
>>
>>549316
How to read. How to write. How to think.
>>
Not philosophy.
>>
Take a foreign language course.
>>
>>549316
how to suck a mad dick
>>
what are you guys learning at your uni outside of STEM, I am curious as to what courses outside of STEM I should take. I do truly want to expand my mind.
>>
>>551258
History. Duh.
>>
>>549316
>>551258
Whatever you're interested in, whether that be literature, philosophy, history, music, art, whatever. My personal poisons are philosophy and music.
>>
Mathematics.
>>
Why not be Aristotle and be a Stem-Arts hybrid? I'm majoring in STEM, but I spend my free time reading philosophy, history and the classics. It gives me a wide range of topics to talk about, and I can feel smug over everyone.
>>
Mayan God Worship
>>
>>549316

Philosophy, literature and religion. Take at least one class in each and then take several more in the one you enjoyed most. Pick them so that you fill elective requirements but also get to take classes you find interesting. Take them seriously and do all the reading you have time to (it's easy to get an A in most liberal arts classes without doing much work, and consequently without learning much. Why professors let this sort of charade go on is beyond me but it is what it is).
>>
>>554056
Cause liberal arts are less focused on preparing you for your cubical work and are instead aimed at learning, which relies on your own thirst for knowledge.
Who cares about grades that only exist for employers to know who to pick for a position in their firms?
>>
>>554639
Let me rephrase that. Its not that liberal arts are more about learning its that the feedback is less obvious. There is the same amount of selection its just done through other means.
An artist is often his own boss for example.
Some degress demand many years of study followed by or paralleled with consulting work.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.