[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Generals of WW1, list 'em. > Arthur Currie >
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 15
File: 1297167044569.jpg (53 KB, 359x534) Image search: [Google]
1297167044569.jpg
53 KB, 359x534
Best Generals of WW1, list 'em.

> Arthur Currie
> John Monash
>>
Those guys are definitely worth a mention but it's worth noting their reputations are in large part built on the fact that they only received a corps command in the most successful year of the war. Same for Allenby. On the Western front his performance was mediocre, they shipped him out to Palestine and suddenly he's known as one of WWI's best generals. Frankly the Western front just didn't make anyone look good.
>>
>>549102
>they only received a corps command in the most successful year of the war
One could argue they were the reason it was the most successful year of the War.
>>
>bongs even being relevant in WW1

Oh Nigel...
>>
File: horace-smith-dorrien.jpg (30 KB, 200x271) Image search: [Google]
horace-smith-dorrien.jpg
30 KB, 200x271
>>549072

>No Smith-Dorrien

Its like no one appreciates the BEF in the great retreat.
>>
>British Prime Minister David Lloyd George claimed to his biographer that had the war continued into 1919, he would have sought to replace Field Marshal Haig with Arthur Currie and have Australian general, John Monash, appointed as Currie's chief of staff

is pretty sad when the colonials can field a more competent force then the old empires of Europe
>>
PAUL VON LETTOW-VORBECK
P
A
U
L

V
O
N

L
E
T
T
O
W
|
V
O
R
B
E
C
K
>>
File: Ferdinand_Foch_by_Melcy,_1921.png (886 KB, 800x1004) Image search: [Google]
Ferdinand_Foch_by_Melcy,_1921.png
886 KB, 800x1004
FOCH U BOCHE
>>
>>549981
This guy gets it.

>survives 4 years of guerilla warfare with no reinforcements and enemies everywhere
>fights for a bit after the war since people forgot to tell him it was over
He was a clever lad.
>>
File: Douglas_Haig_Gw_haig_03.png (1 MB, 1600x2241) Image search: [Google]
Douglas_Haig_Gw_haig_03.png
1 MB, 1600x2241
>>
Joseph Gallieni
>>
File: Luigi_Cadorna_02.jpg (343 KB, 589x844) Image search: [Google]
Luigi_Cadorna_02.jpg
343 KB, 589x844
>>
File: bullshot_plane.jpg (31 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
bullshot_plane.jpg
31 KB, 500x357
>>549072
Anton Ludwig August von Mackensen(never lost a battle)
>>
File: 220px-Vonmoltke.jpg (24 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
220px-Vonmoltke.jpg
24 KB, 220x330
>>549072
>>
>>550696
a shadow of his uncle
>>
>>549072
Svetozar Boroevic
>>
>>550797
Borojevic was pretty much one of the few AH Generals holding the dignity of the Empire up despite the shitshow of Conrad's in Galicia.
>>
>>550797
Beating Italians isn't exactly a credit.
>>
>>549114
fuck off shill
>>
File: 1422970599620.jpg (184 KB, 665x662) Image search: [Google]
1422970599620.jpg
184 KB, 665x662
Louis Franchet d'Espèrey

>took an important part in making the Schlieffen Plan fail
>won most of his battles
>end up losing a battle
>send to /balk/ as a punishment
>with Serbs, free Serbia, force Bulgaria to surrender, threaten Austria (who already had a lot of problems), making them surrender too
>Germany now isolated
>mfw everyone believe Germans surrendered because of americans and not because they were now isolated
>>
>>550871
>everyone believe Germans surrendered because of americans
i don't think that many people believe that
let alone "everyone"
>>
>>550299
>>
>>550880
Honestly ? Yes, a lot.

It's always :
>america saved europe in ww1
>thanks america :DD
>also tanks :DD
>>
>>550797
I don't know if Cadorna was dumb or too bold to keep launchingl offensives in the Alps like that.
>>
File: plumer.jpg (21 KB, 287x400) Image search: [Google]
plumer.jpg
21 KB, 287x400
>No Herbert Plumer

>in April 1915, he took command of the Second Army in May 1915 and in June 1917 won an overwhelming victory over the German Army at the Battle of Messines, which started with the simultaneous explosion of a series of mines placed by the Royal Engineers' tunnelling companies beneath German lines, which created 19 large craters and was described as the loudest explosion in human history
>>
>General Count Alfred von Schlieffen
Greatest Champion in the war.
>>
>Currie
>good

I want Pierre Berton's ghost to leave already

Btw best general coming through
>dat glorious White Guard Bolshevik visages
>invent the system to break trench drudgery
absolute madman
>>
File: 220px-AA_Brusilov_02.jpg (27 KB, 220x332) Image search: [Google]
220px-AA_Brusilov_02.jpg
27 KB, 220x332
>>551104
Forgot image
Fugg
>>
>>550705
It was bait senpai

He just went nuts a few months in
>>
File: bantamsrppc2.jpg (158 KB, 862x558) Image search: [Google]
bantamsrppc2.jpg
158 KB, 862x558
>>549260

Just to put this into perspective: not only were Currie and Monash colonials, but they were not career soldiers--they were from the part-time militia in their respective countries.

Add to this their very pleb backgrounds (Currie had been an elementary school teacher and failed real estate salesman, and Monash came from a partly Jewish family that ran a general goods store).

Had this come to pass, the very class-conscious officer class of the British Army would have exploded their collective heads (wartime elevations from the ranks notwithstanding).
>>
>>551104

Off-topic: back in the 1980s, a friend of mine worked the night desk at the one adult video store in town.

One night, Pierre Berton comes in and rents "Log Jammers".

True story.
>>
File: 1452616552096.png (12 KB, 400x341) Image search: [Google]
1452616552096.png
12 KB, 400x341
>>551129
I fucking love this site, that is hilarious

As reading Berton is much like getting a log jammed in you, I can't say Im surprised

Did he act weird and stoned too?

Man Currie gets too hyped because he agreed with the PM. Just because he wasn't a retard doesnt mean hr was actually a good general
>>
>>550916
>I don't know if Cadorna was dumb or too bold to keep launchingl offensives in the Alps like that.
He was a bureaucrat with no combat experience whatsoever and totally detatched from the reality of war, so that pretty much disqualifies for boldness, so he was dumb (more like, incompetent, inexperienced, ignorant). He only got high command because the year before the war started like all italian generals either died or got disgraced for political reasons. He was literally the last guy available to be senior enough for the role.
>>
File: uniformkid059.jpg (110 KB, 729x1123) Image search: [Google]
uniformkid059.jpg
110 KB, 729x1123
>>551146

No, Currie was good. Don't let him be coloured by Harper's cynical manipulation of his reputation.

Currie was methodical, avoided frontal attack whenever possible (unless Haig forced him), and understood artillery very well (he went from private to colonel in an artillery regiment in Victoria before the war).

He was as careful as he could be of his mens' lives. I like to think this goes back to his being a schoolmaster in the 1890s--he must have reflected that they boys he taught then were most likely in uniform and under his command.
>>
Conrad von Hötzendorf was objectively the greatest general of all time. If you disagree then you're a cuck.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.