[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /his/ I keep seeing these DNA graphs ever were how do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: Ancient_European_Admixture.png (107 KB, 1111x1392) Image search: [Google]
Ancient_European_Admixture.png
107 KB, 1111x1392
Hey /his/ I keep seeing these DNA graphs ever were how do you read them?
>>
>>548406
> DNA charts
I've bad news for you. Those are cultural charts. And they don't seem to make a lot of sense.
>>
>>548442
If I'd make a guess, it would be how much of each culture is represented in each country. So in Norway, half the archaeological findings are of the Yamnaya culture?
>>
>>548442
Wot?

Seems to me that their classifying some genetic testing from Starcevo and LBKT sites as the example of early neolithic genetics, then show the proportion of different modern european genetics which comes from this population, rather than later migrations such as the yamnaya. As in Sardinians are most similar genetically to the early neolithic Europeans.

I don't know the particular study, so I might be wrong, and it does seem simplified.
>>
>>548442
>>548467

How is Iceman (Otzi) a culture?
>>
>>548442
>>548467
This is the paper the graph comes from

Haak, Wolfgang, et al. “Massive migration from the steppe was a source for Indo-European languages in Europe.” Nature (2015).

And that graph is absolutely about genetics.

"We generated genome-wide data from 69 Europeans who lived between 8,000–3,000 years ago by enriching ancient DNA libraries for a target set of almost 400,000 polymorphisms. Enrichment of these positions decreases the sequencing required for genome-wide ancient DNA analysis by a median of around 250-fold, allowing us to study an order of magnitude more individuals than previous studies1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and to obtain new insights about the past."
>>
Orange = Neanderthal
Blue = Pre-historic Basque/Finn
Green = Indo-European/Aryan
>>
>>548916
No
>>
>>548929
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>548916
>>548934
Orange would be Mesopotamian.
>>
>>548934
>The Starčevo culture, sometimes included within a larger grouping known as the Starčevo–Kőrös–Criş culture,[1] is an archaeological culture of Southeastern Europe, dating to the Neolithic period between c. 5500 and 4500 BCE[2] (according to other source, between 6200 and 5200 BCE)

Starcevo on that graph is all orange, yet occurs well after the extinction of Neanderthals.
>>
File: 3D_Christ_Chan.jpg (247 KB, 1280x1206) Image search: [Google]
3D_Christ_Chan.jpg
247 KB, 1280x1206
Hey /pol/, what mix is this qt? Where into qt like this btw
>>
File: image.jpg (247 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247 KB, 1024x768
>mfw I posted that image and article pdf in a thread that degenerated into Yugoslavian shitposting, and I thought nobody had even noticed it .... Thanks /his/trionics!

Its a graphical representation of the statistical similarities in dna extracted from 34 ancient european bodies, and 777 present day west eurasians.

It uses a statisticasl technique called principle component analysis (PCA). I dont know enough stats to really understand the theory of it, but I suspect the numbers along the axes are standard deviations.

MASSIVE MIGRATION FROM THE STEPPE was my favourite paper from last year, it is so awesome it rocks my world almost daily.

Right now Im trying to find possible links between the expansion of the Yamna culture , and the end of the Vinca culture ( which had some of the earliest use of copper in the world, as well as the bizarro protowriting of the vinca symbols)

The article also mentions the Yamnaya were descended from eastern european hunter gatherers and a near eastern population ... My guess us there is some link with the Maykop culture to the south, which was known to have links with mesopotamia.

also, " all russian specimins have affinity to the ~24000 year old MA1, the type specimin for Ancient North Eurasians (ANE) which contributed to both Europeans and Native americans"...

... Holy shit this is amazing, a real connection between new worlders and europeans, after the dogma has been there was only connnection ps between asians and new worlders... Makes me want to relook at the proposed na dene-caucasian macrofamily of languages or the solutrean hypothesis :)

i am really finding these days that, as a linguist, Prehistory is soooo much better and more fascinating than history, as cool as it already is
>>
>>550844
So the soultrean hypothesis as an eastern and western population diverging, with the soultreans going west, and the pre-clovis going east, rather than crossing the Atlantic?
>>
>>548442
No they are not. Sardinians and and Etruscans were mostly likely pre indoeuropean peoples, this reflects very much in Sardinia, due to isolation and weird history.
>>
>>550858
I just skimmed the abstract for raghavan et al 2014 "Upper Palaeolithic Siberian genome reveals dual ancestry of Native Americans.
"
Based on the 24kya old Mal'ta sample and another 17kya south suberian sample, The authors suggest Some ancestors of europeans lived much further northeast than earlier thought, and that these mixed with people who would become new worlders. Whats interesting, is they think this happened after natives became distinct from east asians, but before they separated into the various groups seen in the new world. They estimat 14 to 36 % of new world dna is from the ANEs,and suggest this could explain the early skulls found in the new world that dont look east asian

My 2c -
Solutrean and nadenecaucasian are both fringe theories right now, and may be proven incorrect. But they are both awesome, and it is good to have things that encourage us to think laterallly and look for alternative explanations from what we were taught. These papers are a step to overcoming the common dogma that "apart from Eskimos, native americans came from one migration across beringia from east asian population"

I also really, really like the theories that suggest early transpacific contact with the americas. Especially the one that suggests Ainu, Australian Aboriginals and Native Americans are related. And the Haida and Mapuche being related to Polynesians is cool too. But for now, they are just theories with no proof, and very little evidence for these early periods available ( often due to the political wishes of the "native" tribes who now inhabit these areas, but didnt at the time of the fossils..... But that is a rant for another time)
>>
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 609x1050) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 609x1050
>>551025
Raghavan et al 2014 "Upper Palaeolithic Siberian genome reveals dual ancestry of Native Americans"

I get a free pdf link at the top of the page

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24256729?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg
>>
>>548406
Another similar one
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.