[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Atheist Christian here. I don't see the difference bet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: milkyWaySide1_300.jpg (544 KB, 3300x1527) Image search: [Google]
milkyWaySide1_300.jpg
544 KB, 3300x1527
Atheist Christian here.

I don't see the difference between reading the beautiful message of the New Testament in the same way I read Shakespeare.

>Love thy neighbour as thy love thyself.

You can't claim it isn't perfect in every way on the moral basis if you ignore the superstition.

https://www.beliefnet.com/resourcelib/docs/62/The_Jefferson_Bible_The_Life__Morals_of_Jesus_of_Nazareth_1.html

You don't need to believe in god to be a Christian.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-02-17-21-10-07.png (401 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-02-17-21-10-07.png
401 KB, 1080x1920
>>548235

>You don't need to believe in god to be a Christian.

Care to elaborate OP?
>>
I mean, maybe, but that just sounds like heresy, desu
Tell Bible-thumping Christians you're an atheist but you believe in God and you'll get BTFO pretty hard
A lot of Protestants would probably throw you in the bucket with Catholics and pagans
Civic religion is the most cucked form of spirituality ever practiced and the Founding Fathers were deists, so their understanding of God and religion is objectionable to most theists
>>
>>548235
Christianity completely hinges on the resurrection

1 Corinthians 15:14
>And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
>>
>>548235
>Christain
Perhaps the term you are looking for is Follower of Christ.
>>
>>548455

I provided the Jeffersonian Bible.

I mean you can follow the excellent teachings of Jesus contained within the parables and his speeches without making supernatural claims.

I don't think such parables as the "Good Samaritan" are beautiful and I think saying "judge not lest ye be judged" are amazing and don't conflict with my understanding of the Universe.
>>
>>548501

It isn't for you to say who is Christian.

Maybe you should reflect more on what being a follower of Christ means.
>>
>>548455
Zizek talks about it and is probably gonna be able to explain it more eloquently than anyone on 4chan desu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejHe7m5I9Ik

If you don't have 30 minutes to listen to Zizek ramble I get it.
>>
>>548528

If there is anyone on /his/ that doesn't have time to read a source or watch (or just listen while doing something else in another tab) to a 30 min lecture then they should probably leave this board. Even if the source is something they think they won't like or agree with.
>>
>>548455
Christianity doesn't need to solely be interpreted as religious or spiritual.

Turns on Jesus is actually a pretty bro dude that talked a lot of good shit about how one should live their life, how they should treat others, and ultimately the things that matter most at the end of the day to be happy.

You can follow his teachings and learn from him without buying into the religious aspect.
>>
>>548523
Why do you care so much that you would use a different definition than most of the world? Followers of Christ are a legit group of people that see things just like you do. I don't see why you wold be disdainful of the title.
>>
File: Catholic Waifu.jpg (124 KB, 719x800) Image search: [Google]
Catholic Waifu.jpg
124 KB, 719x800
>>548235
>I'm not going to accept any of the physical or metaphysical claims of Christianity
>but I like its ethics, so I'll just assert them by force of will
>>
>>549108
I don't really see the problem with that.
>>
>>549108
>All assertations must be true or else none of them are

Nah
>>
>>549108
Believing something is true won't overcome the is/ought problem, he might as well pick what he wants.
>>
>>549108
You can actually arrive at Christian ethics through reason as well.

Truth is truth.
>>
>>548235
Kind of hard to follow such difficult ways as giving what you have to anyone who wants it and giving the other cheek, if you disregard the whole theological aspect, Anon.
>>
>>548235
>atheist christian
lmao fucking cuck
>>
>>549126
Except for the whole 'believing something is true because you want it to be true' part. And the part about calling yourself Christian based on this idea.

>>549137
At this point you can scarcely consider yourself under the "Christian" label. This is like calling yourself Humean because, while you reject all of his positions generally, you think causality is unintelligible.

>>549144
Only denying final causality brings upon the is/ought problem. Even if you still deny final causality it doesn't follow to call yourself Christian. Even "Cultural Christians" mean people who partake in the culture of Christianity and Christians, which is a larger overall claim that people who just uphold some of Christianity's ethical claims.
>>
File: 1452393381698.gif (4 MB, 406x339) Image search: [Google]
1452393381698.gif
4 MB, 406x339
>>548235
>Atheist Christian
and there goes any faith I had for humanity
can you explain yourself

a·the·ist
ˈāTHēəst/
noun
a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods
Chris·tian
/ˈkrisCHən/
noun
a person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings.

how the fuck can you be both?
>>
>>548515
>>549099
What?
no he literally said he was god. Multiple times he said this. you make no sense
>>
>>549353
>I can't use common sense to get past semantics
Whew lad
>>
File: 1452393617235s.jpg (3 KB, 122x125) Image search: [Google]
1452393617235s.jpg
3 KB, 122x125
>>549374
so you're saying that even though by definition they are antonyms you can be both?
kek
ok by that logic someone could both be gay and straight, or both dead and alive.
>>
>>549389
>don't believe in God
>believes in Jesus Christ and his teachings

I don't see a problem.
>>
>>549719

Part of the whole "believing in Jesus Christ" thing, in the Christian sense, is believing that he is God. That creates a pretty big problem if you also want to claim to be an atheist.

If you want to redefine terms to fit your own personal worldview, that's fine, just accept that other people are going to call you out on your bullshit. It's possible to say "I like Jesus and his teachings" without saying you're a Christian and misusing the word.
>>
>>549719
Jesus taught that there was but one God, that was immaterial and unique (meaning that "He" resembled nothing in "His" Creation).

I think OP rejects a personal God, but not a "classical" God. He just doesn't know what Classical Theism is.
>>
>>549738
>He just doesn't know what Classical Theism is.

He really should, since he tried to use the Jefferson Bible as part of his reasoning. Even Jefferson never claimed to be an actual Christian.
>>
>>548235
>atheist christian

the term you are looking for is existential humanist

Or, as non cucks call it: normal
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.