[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Life was better in the past
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 8
File: 1452264038429.jpg (116 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
1452264038429.jpg
116 KB, 700x466
I believe there is a massive conspiracy which seeks to paint the past as being exactly the same as modern day OR that life in the past was worse than life is today.

Life was objectively better in the past for everyone in the past except the elites.

This is all a result of capitalism. People are coerced into believing their lives are better today because they live in airconditioned houses and have internet and TV. You are being forced to work harder, longer hours today not to support your family and yourself but maintain an upward trajectory for those who already own all the wealth. With robotics taking over, people will not be able to live easier lives, instead they will have to work harder in order to match the output of machines.

Benefits of living in the past:
>You didn't have to go to school, you could start work at a young age and be paid for it
>There were less expectations on you, the human condition was accepted and you weren't expected to act like a rich person in order to be accepted socially
>Women knew their place, they did not hold power over men, they did not influence who was in power and they did not have authority to misuse
>Food was cheaper, better quality and more easily attainable, you could sustain yourself with a small garden patch and a few animals
>People had real communities where they interacted with their neighbours and had social events which brought everyone together
>Religion was very much at the forefront of the culture, resulting in people having something in common to believe in and connect with other people with as opposed to todays consumerism which is treated as a religious experience
>People were more in tune with nature, living agrarian lives they were not disconnected from the food they eat and the animals they slaughtered
>People were thankful for the simple things in life, rain that came to bring a good crop, people today are neither thankful nor grateful for anything they are constantly demanding more
>>
Take the nostalgia goggles off, kid.
>>
More benefits:
>Your work days were shorter and you didn't work as hard as the average person does today
>There were less laws and restrictions in place enabling you to live a more free life
>If you so wanted you could move into a forest and live there for free, no one owned the land and there is ample game and vegetation to live off
>>
>>545212
Enjoy getting shot with an arrow for moving out of your clan territory.
>>
>>545201
Yeah those yonder times
>slavery and survitude
>next to no health care medicine
>no say in government
>random conscription for frivolous warfare
>extremely high infant mortality
>etc, etc, etc
>>
>paid
>for work

stopped reading there
>>
>>545219
>>545220
>>545224
This is what I have noticed the most is that as soon as people talk about how good the past was other people will reply with how bad it was by using the middle ages as a reference.
>>
>>545201
Ive never seen someone be so objectively wrong, so often.

Sustaining yourself on a small garden patch and a few animals? Ignorant child
>>
>>545231
no, the peasantry existed right up until the modern era
>>
>>545240
>has never ever farmed ever
>lives in NYC and only stands on real grass once every 3 years
>>
>>545201
what you are referring to is the religion of progressivism based on the myth of human progress. this religion was invented by western europeans around the time when most of them were abandoning their christian religion.

the believers of this religion think that they are more enlightened than those that lived in the past. the truth is that their new religion is the same as their old religion, except with a different skin. this new religion was also invented for the same reasons and is also used for the same reasons as their old religion was. namely as a means of control to dull the senses of the people or to be the opiate of the masses. so that the people can be controlled. both religions were invented by feudal lords to impose their will on the masses without having to pay a cost.

the history of europe has been a history of struggle between the feudal lord and the church for control over the sheeple. the religion of progressivism was created by the feudals to break from the chruch. it was invented only after the feudals state model was evolved into the nation state model by forcing the identity of the feudal lord over the sheeple. once this was accomplished half the battle was over. the other half was to break from the chrurh's influence over the people. and that is where the new religion of progressivism come in. this religion is the same as the old. there are still priests and feudals. the politicians, economists and sciecntists make the trinity of priesthood and the corporations are the feudal masters. the corps use the trinity of priesthood in the same manner the feudals lords of old used the christian religion. the new god is this undefined entity called "the poeple". so that where before the kind acted in the name of god now he acts in the name of the church. in truth the true god of this religion is the nation state and not "the people", just like the true god of christianity was the church and not "the god".
>>
>>545243
They still do, but life is even worse for them now. This is what you all fail to realize. In 100 years people will be thinking the exact same about our generation as you think about the generation 100 years ago.
>>
>>545252
in the west they have more rights and social mobility than back then and crop failure doesn't have as much an impact.
>>
>>545251
any sources?
>>
>>545253
Except the only reason you say that people have more rights now is because there was actual laws and rules written down saying that people had rights. Of course it's going to seem like people today have more rights when that is your only evidence. And crop failure is similar in that it is a modern reconstruction rather than a legitimate recorded event. People assume that without fertilizer, tractors and other farming equipment that crops fail more. Fertilizer and pesticides are used to speed up the growing of plants, not to ensure they don't fail.
>>
>>545262
>And crop failure is similar in that it is a modern reconstruction rather than a legitimate recorded event

wew lad
>>
>>545265
Upvoted
>>
>>545255
sources for what ? i have given my analysis of the current situation. if you want sources just look out your door.
>>
>>545253
remember the great depression. a total economic scandal. and the west claims that it has found the best economic system. what if i told you that there is a land with extremely high amount of rivers and agricultural lands and extremely low population density and this land has hundreds of thousands of homeless and hungry. what would you say to that? that is the great depression. the stock market collapses and people start living on the streets and starving to death. as if stocks are some kind of food or something. or stocks are the building blocks for land and housing or something. the modern nation state is a scam and the modern economic systems have shown their bankruptcy over and over again. the great depression is just one example. if such a rich land can have such poverty under progressivism then what will happen if parameters change, like more population density or less water etc
>>
>>545262
no they do have more rights like the right to own their own property, rather than work land for someone else.

and no there were definitely crop failures and famines.

>>545268
i can look out my door and make up whatever shit i want too. i can't look out my door and say that feudal lords did such and such but i can look at sources and say 'oh it wasn't the feudal lords it was actually the city-dwelling bourgeoisie'
>>
>>545285
is this the way you try to say to me that people in the past had it better? not sure what you're arguing
>>
>>545288
>no they do have more rights like the right to own their own property
Most people rent these days.
>rather than work land for someone else
Everyone who works does this already. For free.
>>
>>545231
Middle ages, right

>>slavery and survitude
Untill mid 19th century

>>next to no health care or medicine
Up to about the 1930's

>>no say in government
Till early 20th century for most western countried

>>random conscription for frivolous warfare
Did never realy end, so scratch that

>>extremely high infant mortality
Also up to 1930''s
>>
>>545297
>Most people rent these days.

this has nothing to do with the fact that legally people can own their own property

>Everyone who works does this already. For free.
not to the same degree it was done in the past.
>>
I sometimes feel we denigrate the past in order to feel better about our own times, but I don't think living before the rise of modern medicine could be all that pleasant.
>>
>>545231
your fault for being non-specific
I'd tackle your points, but frankly there's better things to do than try to talk some sense into a romanticising le wrong generationer with dashes of /r9k/ autist and edgy underage teen thrown in
>>
>>545293
the crop failure you speak of would not put a farmer out of a home nor would it starve him to death. even in cases of famine a clan or tribe or a village of farmers can come together and share food with one another. they do this for free realizing that it could be them in the shoes of the unfortunate. it all depends on the culture of the people in the end. some cultures may refuse to share or in some cultures the farmers may be enslaved by the feudals and have to produce and certain amount of crop. but that is the case of farmers not having the balls to fight for themselves. famies were incredibly rare and crop failures were not that common either. on the other hand, today we see day to day slavery. where a man has to be working as much as possible or he will be homeless and starve. and dont forget the market crashes and downturn in the economy. granted the downturns in the economy are not so bad for the west, but that is because the west has created an economic world order that steals from the rest of humanity. and even then the west has homeless and hungry.

the people living life a hundred years ago in much of the world were far more free than they are now. it may be that some cultures were ruled by feudals so that there was a lack of freedom. but that is the fault of these cultures and they have oly switched from one form of slavery to another.
>>
>>545311
>tfw I realised this after accidentally breaking my ankle, but can walk properly due to screws and plates and shit under my skin.
>>
File: Mesocity.png (472 KB, 637x398) Image search: [Google]
Mesocity.png
472 KB, 637x398
I've always thought that I'd like to live as a simple artisan/merchant in an extremely early city, like one in the Indus Valley or Mesopotamia. It seems so simple compared to modern life, with the community afforded by at least partially cosmopolitan living but without the filth provided by the large untidy cities of later ages.

That, or living as some kind of Christain monk during the medieval period. Relatively clean, community of guys I get along with, simple day to day life, still get to read and do /his/ shit.
>>
>>545305
what is legal and illegal is determined by the feudal class. it is nothing more than words written on a piece of paper. it is an opiate to dull the senses of the victims so they may not put up a defense. if the slavery was more overt the people might be willing to fight more. also you assume that living like the past also means to live under feudal rule. why cant people live like the past but without feudal rule? what if they are willing to fight and die for their freedom and live as anarchists.
>>
We live in Huxley and Orwell's nightmare.

We currently live in a time of great deception.

The occult Luciferian societies have brainwashed the west into rejecting God.

>liberalism
>leftists
>SJWs
>feminists
>gays
>transvestites
>tumblrinas
>multiculturalism

The world is openly evil now.
Anything 'good' is seen as archaic or old. They hate Christian morals, values and traditions.

Satan's long mission of destroying the family unit and sovereignty of nations has been accomplished. The New World Order is right around the corner, with the Antichrist on top.

We are not far away from the Great Tribulation and the persecution of the saints.
>Christians will be seen as archaic, old people stuck in the past
>Christians will be seen as fundamentalists, extremists, Bible thumpers or Jesus freaks
>Christians need to be removed from the world in order to progress into a "glorious new age" and "evolve".

Stay strong in the faith, nothing in this life compares to eternity.
>>
>>545316
i do not know about your specific case. but it is possible that the modern way of life was responsible for the breaking of your ankle in the first place. tell me do you wear modern rigid shoes all the time, sold to you by the corporate feudals and legitimized by the sham science funded by the corps to justify their product. most people with foot, hip and knee joint related problems are really victims of the modern way of life that has been imposed on them by the great enlightenment called the religion of progressivism.
>>
>>545326
Please, I wish we lived in Brave New World.

Then I'd be happy and satisfied with my lot in life.
>>
>>545314
>even in cases of famine a clan or tribe or a village of farmers

what the hell are you talking about? do you not know what an estate system is?

>not having the balls to fight for themselves

or the equipment, or the training, etc. you have 0 sense of history

>on the other hand, today we see day to day slavery.

no, day-to-day slavery has been common throughout history. it hasn't got worse since 'back in the day' which you seem to think was some pastoral fantasy where everyone just got along

>where a man has to be working as much as possible or he will be homeless and starve.

there is such thing as welfare

>the people living life a hundred years ago in much of the world were far more free than they are now

100 years ago we were still in the same system as we are today except now the workers have more rights and representation.
>>
>>545325
>what is legal and illegal is determined by the feudal class

except when they all have their heads cut off
>>
>>545326
leftism encompasses capitalism and democracy, by the way
>>
>Women knew their place, they did not hold power over men, they did not influence who was in power and they did not have authority to misuse

How is this a good thing?
>>
>>545340
>no, day-to-day slavery has been common throughout history.
The life of a common man today is more akin to that of an ancient Roman slave than a free Roman.
>>
>>545255

Comte and Marx, before them the Enlightenment political philosophers.

there are older instances of history-as-progress (Revelations, for example) but he's quite right in pointing to the rise of secularism in the west as inaugurating a particular wave of it which is also very prevalent at the present time.

The idea that history is moving towards a utopian-political or scientific-technological culmination (if unevenly) looms large in all secular hopes and dreams.
>>
>>545353
Just walk away man. It's not worth it.
>>
>>545353

Are you retarded or just a butthurt feminist?
>>
>>545333
Only if the modern way of life extends for thousands of years. The broken ankle was alcohol related. Also I agree, have you ever read the story of the human body by Daniel Lieberman? Dysevolution is interesting, but a major factor is agriculture.
>>
>>545365
And I had no shoes on at the time, and wear no shoes other than thongs for 95% of the time (Ausfag meaning).
>>
>>545353
Have you been to /r9k/? A world where females lack agency is a world where socially crippled, self hating, world blaming autist basket cases stand a chance to get laid.
>>
Well yeah, people before the flood lived to be over hundreds of years old.

Imagine the wisdom, intelligence and strength of the Antediluvian civilization.

They also had direct contact with the fallen angels, the devil and his demons.

After the flood (more specifically after the scattering at the Tower of Babel) paganism arose.

Polytheism and paganism was basically the romantization of the Nephilim, Annunaki and giant stories. The various 'gods' refer to the fallen angels and beings. The Israelites were the only people who knew the One True Creator, until 33 AD when everything changed and Salvation was brought to the entire world.
>>
>>545201
>You didn't have to go to school
>benefit
wut?

>Food was cheaper, better quality and more easily attainable
wut?x2

>There were less expectations on you, the human condition was accepted and you weren't expected to act like a rich person in order to be accepted socially

If we speak about primitive "prehistoric" time, then you have strict code of behavior with crapload of rituals and taboos that you have to obey.
If speak about historical times then you have same shit plus rules from your lord.

>our work days were shorter and you didn't work as hard as the average person does today

And that is just too fat.
Even now if live in countryside you work from dawn to sunset.
>>
>>545378
It's more that we live in a society where everything is catered for women. Men treat each other like crap today just to get a chance at that dirty, non-virgin used up roast beef pussy. Literally everything that men do in society today is for the respect and admiration of women. What self respecting man enjoys putting on a suit and tie at 7 am and sitting in a office cubicle for 8-12 hours a day. Wouldn't a man rather be out running through the woods with a bow and arrow lauching shot after shot at some deer frantically running away? I know I would. But as it stands as long as women have the power, men will remain little more than wageslaves and lapdogs.
>>
>>545395
What a shitty way to want to live. Sounds so stressful day in and day out.
>>
>>545394
>Even now if live in countryside you work from dawn to sunset.
Exactly. People are working longer hours today than they ever have before. Farming is not some simple looking after a few hectares of land, rather it's a mass production of tending to acres upon acres of land all for the same amount of profit that people in the past would have received.
>>
>>545340
>or the equipment, or the training, etc. you have 0 sense of history

it is you who has no sense of history. where there is a will there is a way. i come from a people who always were free and never had to live under some feudal lord or warlord. we made this possible by being ready to fight and die when it was needed. the parameters of the tyrant are determined by those who are oppressed. you keep trying to interject slavery into the way people lived before. as if it is a law of nature that must exist just because it existed in much of europe. the original post of OP was about living the life of farmers and ranchers as before. there is no reason that such a life must also bring with it slavery of the feudal master.

>>545345
the feudals are alive and well. they are now called corporations. feudalism has been hidden in the modern world. every one has been given a chance of start a corp and thus become a small time feudal. so the people think that there is no feudalism or slavery. today a person can be feudal lord and slave at the same time. the reality is that before there was a clear line dividing the feudal from the peasant and now the line has been muddied to allow the real old feudals at the top some breathing room from the anger of the general population.
>>
>>545401
Sounds fun to me. But then I never liked sitting still and listening to teachers. I never liked the fact I had to conform to a purely effeminate system which women excel in and boys faced bullying, degradation and psychological conditioning.
>>
>>545360
the christian heaven after death has been replaced by the idea of a heaven on earth by the new religion. and the delusion is that with the march of communism we are getting closer to that utopia. it is the same delusion that lead to the genocides of communism as well.
>>
>>545412
Women face the same kind of shit. The modern world is aggressively comparative and competitive. That's the point. If it wasn't that way the capitalist system wouldn't work. You have to always want something. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not my ideal either.

I'd much prefer living in a small Epicurean style commune with my good friends. Growing our own food, trading for stuff we can't make, and generally just living the simple/easy life in good company.
>>
>>545412
desu you could do it. Alot of countries you are allowed to hunt as you want, build a shelter, you could just go out and do it.
>>
>>545365
i only know of this guys work on the human foot and barefoot running and the absurdity of the modern shoe.
https://www.fas.harvard.edu/~skeleton/danlhome.html

agriculture is certainly a cause of a lot of wrong cultural practices among humans. but it did not have to be this way. we could have agriculture and still be connected to our instinct and live as free men. but such a society would also mean that people do not just rely on agriculture but also raise cattle as well. having cattle generally means more freedom and having agriculture means tied to a land. being tied to a land could lead to being enslaved or using ownership of the land as a tool against your own family.
>>
>>545395
Not sure how a return to a world in which women lack agency would help, the man then becomes the breadwinner rather than being part of a two income household or an increasingly accepted stay at home father.
>>
>>545402
>People are working longer hours today than they ever have before.

Nope.

>Farming is not some simple looking after a few hectares of land

Firs, without modern tools, machinery, chemicals and that almost magical farming cultures like potatoes it was not so simple to feed even yourself, but you also have to give good part of your harvest to your lord, and no one cares if you will starve to death after that.
>>
>>545424
Men have it far far worse. It's because of mens suffering that women get to preoccupy themselves with frivolous fanciful nonsense like how they are getting oppressed by men in some non-tangible fashion.
>>
Jews and Americans have always "attempted" to re-phrase or explain alternatives of history regarding any act of inhumanity on their behalf..
>>
>>545395
it is not because of women. it is because men are too pussy to fight back against those who have enslaved us. most men when confronted with evidence of their slavery choose to ignore it and pretend that there is nothing wrong with their lot. since people cannot give might to justice so they give justice to might.
>>
>>545445
No, no I think men's problems are just as frivolous. Not that women's aren't of course. Exceptionally few people need to worry about their next meal or having a roof over their head, so men worry about being beta and women worry about being oppressed. It's the same shit, and it doesn't exist for either party. People farm it, intentionally or otherwise, because it makes people want and therefore consume.
>>
>>545423
*with the march of progress ( not communism)
>>
>>545441
>Not sure how a return to a world in which women lack agency would help
That's only one of the things which need to happen. It's amusing how people think that technological development will mean that in the future everyone will be living in domed cities on Mars. Look at what's happening with the different classes. Right now rich people are living in their own communities separate from the common man, everything they experience on a daily basis is many orders of magnitude better than what the common man has. The rich and the commoner do not even cross paths, they are totally removed from each others existences. In the past, the rich folk still had to deal with the rabble and commoners and they hated them for it, they hated the filthy scum on the streets. So the rich created an entire system where they can live lives away from the average man and hang out with their own kind. Those are the people going into space, those are the ones who will have the anti-aging drugs worth so much money the price can actually be converted to human lives.
>>
>>545453
I'm not angry at women themselves, I'm more angry that men are idiotic to let women be used againt themselves. Women are easily corrupted but what does that say about men?
>>545454
>so men worry about being beta and women worry about being oppressed.
No men are literally derided publicly all the time if they choose to not play the pathetic mind games which women are famous for.
>>
Jesus fuck how easy is /his/ to b8?
>>
>>545503
We turn b8 into discussion m8.
>>
>>545518

How long does the process take? 65 replies and it's still the same b8ers b8ing. If you've any hope of turning this b8 into deb8 you'd better stop prevaric8ing and get your sk8s on.
>>
>>545201
Well shit. I think you're right.
>>
>>545485
>No men are literally derided publicly all the time if they choose to not play the pathetic mind games which women are famous for.
I'm sure they are. Now go get a hair cut, better posture, and nicer clothes. The girls at your high school will start paying a lot more attention to you.
>>
>>545471
You should write more on this.
>>
>>545442
>Nope

No, he's right. People used to have a lot of freedom in how they could work and how much.
>>
>>545532
Sure, ostensibly, but any self-employed person will tell you that just because you make your own schedule you can do whatever you want.

If you're a farmer, expect to be up at 5 and in bed at 9 because you can't fucking work in the dark and your field has to be tilled, planted, and reaped by your, and maybe your sons', hands alone.
>>
>>545410
the more you post the less it has to do with this thread
>>
>>545201
You're eomanticising the fuck out of stj that never existed, where and when was this "past" that you describe as being so uniform.
I would rather live in the past world too, but it wasnt some magical utopia where everything was easier. Maybe ready a history book before posting on /his/
>>
>>545395
everything men do is for the respect and admiration of other men. getting a woman that other men want is part of this
>>
Hammond & Hammond Labourers trilogy
EP Thompson Industrial Time
>>
>>545527
Such derisive deflection. Surely this one is from reddit. You deny the blatant anti-male sentiments in society? Masculinity in America is a joke. A meme based off of caricatures and adverts; lumberjack beards, cars, beer, displaced senseless hostility, money, social rituals based around women. A man's worth is based on his value to women, ultimately. There is no room for masculinity in a consumer drone technocratic society.
>>
>>545633
You deny the blatant anti-female sentiments? Capitalism requires aspiration for unattainable and/or pointless goals. A woman's worth is based on her value to men.

I also really don't know what these social rituals you're talking about are. If it's shit like men footing the check on the first date, then that's as old as time immemorial. Men are breadwinners, or that's what natural instincts tell us, so of course women want the best breadwinner.

That said, if you're struggling so hard with women controlling you, find better company. It can't be that hard if you live in a good metropolitan area. If you can't? If everywhere smells like shit, check your shoe.
>>
>>545633
the same happens to women but you don't notice it since it isn't marketed to you. there is no gender war -- there is opportunity for profit
>>
>>545649
Natural instincts say one thing, socio-political progressivist culture says something else. Who is right? Women want to be liberated from the shackles of a bygone patriarchal primitivism, and yet this one is saying our natural instincts dictate this behavior is right. Absurdity.

>>545651
I notice it. I've also observed women consume on a much larger scope and scale than men do. There was a study that showed women felt a greater sense of enjoyment from shopping. Maybe the marketing is more effective on them or more is marketed to them. Either way your point is in no opposition to mine. Technocrats rule us all.
>>
File: 1451785828031.jpg (183 KB, 656x425) Image search: [Google]
1451785828031.jpg
183 KB, 656x425
This thread is dildos.
>>
>>545201

>wants women to be second class citizens
>Does not want air conditioning or other modern comforts
>Wants to live off few animals and meagre crops
>wants to feel more with nature
>wants to live in a society heavily influenced by religion

Congratulations on wanting to join ISIS, op. When will you be moving to your mud hut in the middle east?
>>
>>545201

Do people actually believe any of this teenage romanticised horseshit? Your autistic ass wouldn't survive one pre-20th century winter
>>
File: Ox96TnB.jpg (130 KB, 589x777) Image search: [Google]
Ox96TnB.jpg
130 KB, 589x777
Y'all mofos need the Iron pill.
>>
>It's more that we live in a society where everything is catered for women. Men treat each other like crap today just to get a chance at that dirty, non-virgin used up roast beef pussy. Literally everything that men do in society today is for the respect and admiration of women. What self respecting man enjoys putting on a suit and tie at 7 am and sitting in a office cubicle for 8-12 hours a day. Wouldn't a man rather be out running through the woods with a bow and arrow lauching shot after shot at some deer frantically running away? I know I would. But as it stands as long as women have the power, men will remain little more than wageslaves and lapdogs.

>Sounds fun to me. But then I never liked sitting still and listening to teachers. I never liked the fact I had to conform to a purely effeminate system which women excel in and boys faced bullying, degradation and psychological conditioning.

>No men are literally derided publicly all the time if they choose to not play the pathetic mind games which women are famous for.

>Such derisive deflection. Surely this one is from reddit. You deny the blatant anti-male sentiments in society? Masculinity in America is a joke. A meme based off of caricatures and adverts; lumberjack beards, cars, beer, displaced senseless hostility, money, social rituals based around women. A man's worth is based on his value to women, ultimately. There is no room for masculinity in a consumer drone technocratic society.

>I notice it. I've also observed women consume on a much larger scope and scale than men do. There was a study that showed women felt a greater sense of enjoyment from shopping. Maybe the marketing is more effective on them or more is marketed to them. Either way your point is in no opposition to mine. Technocrats rule us all.

Let this be a lesson to all of you guys: this is what happens when you read MSpaint comics about "the iron pill" instead of history books. You get autism.
>>
Welp, it's a /pol/ thread.
>>
>>545220
>no say in government

Modern Germany says hi, you are not even allowed to protest.

>slavery and survitude

Peasants in the middle ages worked less then we do, the spanish ones didn't work half of the year.

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/rauch/worktime/hours_workweek.html

>random conscription for frivolous warfare

War breaks out and they will reinstate it.

>extremely high infant mortality

Extreme high transgenderism and sjw-ism
>>
>>545212
>If you so wanted you could move into a forest and live there for free, no one owned the land and there is ample game
Nobility would get you persecuted as a poacher.
>>
>>546111
Well, but that's no concern! The leftpol and reddit army are here to defend their land in another invading thread :)
>>
>>545318
In the ancient city of Ur they were already struggling with financial meltdown.
>>
>>546342

>Nobility would get you persecuted as a poacher.

And you deserved it when you lived near them. even nowadays you can live untouched by anyone else in Siberia.

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/features/f0039-reclusive-siberian-hermit-agafia-lykov-comes-out-of-isolation-to-say-happy-new-year/
>>
File: 6cwz4ll.gif (2 MB, 400x206) Image search: [Google]
6cwz4ll.gif
2 MB, 400x206
>>545201
>I believe there is a massive conspiracy which seeks to paint the past as being exactly the same as modern day OR that life in the past was worse than life is today.

I believe it is only thanks to this privileged era in which we live that you can even contemplate such a thing, and the fact that you are marks you as a highly-entitled individual with little knowledge of history.
>>
>>545326
I don't think you know the first thing about Orwell.
>>
>>545201
These are all things that we call preferences, based upon your subjective opinions. Things that can be objectively measured like access to education, average lifespan, access to healthcare, clean drinking water, availability of food, etc. all say that we live easier, healthier, and more convenient lives than ever before. There is no conspiracy to make the present seem better. People typically believe the opposite, despite obvious and overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>545359
No, it's not. Maybe we don't have as much affluence as a senator or a plantation owner (which were only a small % of the free population) but we actually have more access to information and healthcare than even the cream of the top.
>>
"We wish for a yesterday that never was" - some fatass roman 2000 years ago
>>
>>545395
Found the robot
>>
>>545201
You also didn't live that long, the majority of children die in their first 5 years of life, and medicine was primitive.
>>
File: happylife.jpg (107 KB, 411x479) Image search: [Google]
happylife.jpg
107 KB, 411x479
>>545201
this is the dumbest thing i have ever seen on this board so far
good job
>>
File: 1414906120121.jpg (62 KB, 518x553) Image search: [Google]
1414906120121.jpg
62 KB, 518x553
>>545201
Please be bait.
>>
>>545262
>In the year of our Lord 1315, apart from the other hardships with which England was afflicted, hunger grew in the land...The land was so oppressed with want that when the King came to St. Albans on the feast of St. Lawrence it was hardly possible to find bread on sale to supply his immediate household...The dearth began in the month of May and lasted until the feast of the nativity of the Virgin [September 8]. The summer rains were so heavy that grain could not ripen. It could hardly be gathered down to the said feast day unless it was first put in vessels to dry. Bread did not have its usual nourishing power and strength because the grain was not nourished by the warmth of the summer sunshine. Hence those who ate it, even in large quantities, were hungry again after a little while. There can be no doubt that the poor wasted away when even the rich were constantly hungry...
>Entering the city we consider "them that are consumed with famine" when we see the poor and needy, crushed with hunger, lying stiff and dead in the wards and streets...Four pennies worth of coarse bread was not enough to feed a common man for one day. The usual kinds of meat, suitable for eating, were too scarce; horse meat was precious; plump dogs were stolen.

There's one record of a crop failure occurring, unless you want to say that medieval manuscripts are all forged or something.
>>
>>545212
yeah no someone always owned the land.
>>
File: 1445291544748.gif (2 MB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1445291544748.gif
2 MB, 480x320
Jesus fucking Christ. I can't tell what is bait and what is serious discussion from /r9k/ tier autists.
>>
>>545201
I'm inclined to believe the past was shittier just because medicine is better now than it was then.
The two titanium screws through my Tibia that I have no evidence to believe exist other than the X-ray showing them to me agree with me on this one.
My currently non-gangrenous leg also agrees with me.
>>
this board was a mistake
>>
>>546328

You know if you only want to work the equivalent of a few days a week, you can go into contracting positions where that's the norm, right? You can also go on welfare and not work at all while having a quality of life comparable to a medieval peasant.

The lifestyle you're looking for already exists. It's just that in the modern world, it's not your only option.
>>
This thread is obvious bait but about 45 anons took it.
>>
>>546442
Better than wishing for the tomorrow that will never be.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.