[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post 'em m8's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: P_20160111_165058_1.jpg (2 MB, 3072x3136) Image search: [Google]
P_20160111_165058_1.jpg
2 MB, 3072x3136
Post 'em m8's
>>
File: creedpic.jpg (612 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
creedpic.jpg
612 KB, 2448x3264
>>544536
>>
>>544557

Not an artist obviously, but got bored and painted the Creed. It's great to be able to look quickly to recite throughout the day.
>>
>>544557
Pretty dank what language
>>
>>544557
Greek?
>>
>>544578

Greek.
>>
File: 1441786082185.png (361 KB, 858x725) Image search: [Google]
1441786082185.png
361 KB, 858x725
>>544557
>tfw had to learn that by heart at school and always failed
>>
>>544536
So Orthodox Christians keep icons in their homes?
>>
>>544536
so why did they give her brown skin, what was the purpose? And please, no 'WE WUZ KINGZ' it's old now.
>>
>>546951
>her
>>
>>546946
Yes
>>
>>546968
So you just keep ones of Jesus and Saints you prefer to pray to?
>>
>>546965
fuck you you know what i meant
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 420x479) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 420x479
>>546951
The same reason Mary appeared to Juan Diego as a mestizo and why pic related is a thing.

There's nothing wrong with depicting Jesus and Mary as looking more like your particular ethnic group so long as you don't forget they were ethnically Semetic Jews.
>>
File: Icon Wall.jpg (52 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Icon Wall.jpg
52 KB, 800x600
d-don't judge me to hard
just started on Christmas
>>
>>547819
#Christ Swag
#Lamb4evuh
>>
>>547819
Pretty nice setup.
Are you from mexico or arizona by chance?
>>
>>548211
No, I'm slavic and live in Colorado
What makes you assume I'm Mexican?
>>
So when did we all unironically convert to Orthodoxy?

Where do I sign up for this hot new meme?
>>
>>548624
Ever since reddit became the face of internet atheism
>>
>>548624
>ironically converting to orthodoxy
>implying the Priest won't see through your shit
>implying hipsters can wait 1-2 years before officially becoming part of the fad
>>
>>548637

I'm sold. Any good books on the subject? I have Kallistos Ware's but that's it so far.

inb4 Bible
>>
>>548648
Ask the priest, high likelihood he'll have a fuckhuge library that has lives of saints, mariology, christology, and general history.
>>
>>548656

I live in a small Anglican cathedral city. I don't think there are many Orthodox around, but I'd like to do some reading on the subject.
>>
>>548648
The Orthodox Church and the Orthodox Way by Timothy Ware are both very good introductory books to the history, practices and beliefs of the Church if you'd like something general. Otherwise, there's millions of books on the deeper aspects of theology and beliefs if that's what you're after.
>>
>>548661
Well, can't remember much, but I'm reading Orthodox Alaska: Theology of Mission (SVS Press, my Priest actually helped with this one, very good theology for a beginner), The Orthodox Church (by John Meyendorff), Orthodox Dogmatic Theology (by Protoprestbyter Michael Pomazansky), Wisdom from Mount Athos/The Monk of Mount Athos (short books, complimentary, both written by Archimandrite Sophrony).
Recomend Seraphim of Sarov, a absolute fuckton of people love him as a saint. Father John of Kronstadt is an interesting case, if you read history, he comes up as someone a lot of people contacted during the late-era Russian empire, the Emperor himself made him give him the final rites.
Father Arseny is a great one for Stalinist era Orthodoxy.
I know of a Theotokos book, but can't remember the name, but it basically went into her childhood, her parents, how old her and Joseph where, and other interesting things.
>>
>>548620
Tons of mexicans set it up like that when i went to their houses.
Sorry for assuming slav bud :°^[
>>
>>548774
to be fair, like 20% of that is tacky catholic trinkets I got from my greatgrandmother.
If I was Catholic, I would hang up my 100 year old rosary from the holy land, put out my Vulgate, and all the pictures of Jesus painted realistically. It'd really look mexican after that.
>>
>>546975
Also saintly members of your family

I have an icon that my Russian relatives managed to safeguard from the reds, it shows some great-great-grandmother type ancestor of mine that was apparently rather saintly
>>
>>548829
Damn, that's awesome.
>>
>>548832
that's not the most uncommon thing
Orthodoxy has saints start at the laymen. If someone decides to call someone a saint and paint an icon, they're pretty much a saint. The Church only recognizes them after a lot of people in multiple regions start to do it.
>>
>>548832
Sadly it's not in the best shape since they had to remove most of the gold from it so the commies didn't grab the thing, also the colors are rather faded because of it's age

It's still pretty neat I think

>>548835
Yeah as far as I understand anyone with money and a past relative or ancestor that did some saintly stuff was free to go commission an icon of them in the good old days
>>
File: 1429679188246.jpg (34 KB, 313x313) Image search: [Google]
1429679188246.jpg
34 KB, 313x313
>>548774
>2016
>not even being able to tell the difference between catholic and orthodox icons
>>
>>548902
what's the difference, friend?
>>
>>548917
The orthodox still makes art like it's 1054.
>>
>>548927
Because making it realistic makes it borderline idolatry. It's a reminder, not an idol. There was better art in 300 A.D. than the eikons.
>>
>>548938
It was a dumb joke m8
>>
>>548938
>Because making it realistic makes it borderline idolatry

Yeah but kissing pictures and objects and constructing shrines is aok
>>
>>546951

paints often change color over time
>>
>>549147
whats wrong with kissing pictures?
It's just a picture, like a mother would kiss a picture of her child, etc.
>>
>>548902
Tons of mexicans use icons m8
>>
>>549327
who disputed that?
>>
>>544536
Where does one go to get an Icon? Are there dedicated stores or something? I am exploring Orthodoxy right now and I've been wondering if keeping an Icon at home would help.
>>
>>551703
internet, you can find them if you try.
>>
>>547713
Slavs are brown?
>>
>>551752

They just follow the Byzantine pattern.
>>
>>551752
slavs copied the greeks
>>
>>548646
>tfw my priest constantly tried to get me chrismated but I kept saying I wanted to wait
>tfw 6 years later and I'm a catechumen
>mfw reading lies about Orthodoxy on /his/ from starry eyed idealizing convertsky
>>
>>551761
>>551762

Greeks are brown?
>>
>>551773

They knew real Palestines.
>>
>>551763
My priest is like ultra cautious, he's a convert himself and really makes sure you care. Makes catechumen read like 5 books a week if they want to keep coming.
Another parishioner was a former priest (retired to get remarried), and he told me he'd make people wait 2 years minimum to convert. He told me one guy, like you, insisted on waiting forever, 15 years in fact. This man had a heart attack on his way to church one morning, and he had to receive first communion while dying in the snow.
The Eucharist is the core of Christian life, it transforms men who eat of it in rightful mind, of course priests want you to do it, but high convert churches get cautious after awhile.
>>
>>551789
I might just convert on my deathbed desu, it's the true traditional way.
>>
>>548661
St Albans?
>>
>>551637
http://www.monasteryicons.com/
There pretty cheap here
>>
Not into idolatry to be honest
>>
>>551814

Durham
>>
>>551789
>but high convert churches get cautious after awhile.

I get the same impression from the priest at the church I visited.
What's the reason?
>>
>>551865
tons of protestants coming in with a protestant mindset and protestant theology that like the look and feel of the church, or simply understand it's the original church, but don't want to change their ways and want to shit it up like they did to their own faiths. On the other hand, you get protestants that really just want to be apostolic and traditional, and are willing to change their faith, but convert to Orthodoxy only because they hate Catholics. You also get the lazy guys who show up for a few months to keep up appearances, then once they convert they never show up again. You get some SSPX types from the Catholics who stay Catholic in all ways, but convert because they hate the current Pope, as well.
Obviously not a majority, but you get like 3-4 people that fall into these categories every year that try. It gets exhausting having to waste time and resources on converts that aren't doing it for the right reasons, so you test their commitment and try to get them on the right track while you do it.
"Pearls before swine" I think is the phrase that describes the scenario
>>
>>551902
>On the other hand, you get protestants that really just want to be apostolic and traditional, and are willing to change their faith, but convert to Orthodoxy only because they hate Catholics

Is that really such a bad thing?
>>
>>551924
not if their committed, no.
The general problem is they often times realize Orthodox don't absolutely despise Catholics, and Orthodox really can give a shit less what's going on in the Catholic world.
>>
>>551932
I see
I'm a practicing Anglo Catholic but I lean mostly towards Orthodox theology. There's too much in the Western tradition I just can't agree with that Orthodoxy makes better sense of. There aren't many Orthodox in my country but there is a church not far from me. Is it worth me converting?
>>
File: image.jpg (321 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
321 KB, 640x1136
>>549147
Stop embarrassing yourself
>>
>>551983
>is it worth me converting
Asking this to literally any christian branch, they'll say Yes.
If you agree with Orthodox theology, or are willing to accept it, willing to change your culture (Orthodoxy does come with a culture packaged on to it. Fasting on Wednesdays/Fridays. Fasting over half the year, the need to have icons in the home, etc.), and can make the commute every sunday/1 saturday night a month (requirements for catechumens most the time), it'd be worth it.
You're on /his/ so I can assume you are okay with the part that you'll pick up Russian history just by being around them.
Really, I know nothing about Anglo-Catholics, but I can probably assume, like Latin Catholics, you got the base of the beliefs already.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.