[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What caused the death of intellectualism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: 1450937350139.jpg (118 KB, 1024x675) Image search: [Google]
1450937350139.jpg
118 KB, 1024x675
What caused the death of intellectualism?
>>
>>542652
Pseudointellectuals.
>>
>>542652
Pseudointellectuals.

Namely OP.
>>
Diploma inflation, disdain for the less educated people.
>>
Stop making these threads
>>
Communism and elitism
>>
When colleges became centers of conservative thought.

>calling it liberal means it's liberal
>>
Liberalism, pseudosciences and it's practitioners.
>>
File: 1404252921262.jpg (30 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
1404252921262.jpg
30 KB, 316x202
Capitalism

>The difference between a phonograph and the human voice is that the phonograph must sing the song which is stamped upon it. Now there are days--I suspect the vast majority of them in most of our lives--when we grind out the thing that is stamped upon us. It may be the governing of a city, or teaching school, or running a business. We do not get out of bed in the morning because we are eager for the day; something external--we often call it our duty--throws off the bed-clothes, complains that the shaving water isn't hot, puts us into the subway and lands us at our office in season for punching the time-check. We revolve with the business for three or four hours, signing letters, answering telephones, checking up lists, and perhaps towards twelve o'clock the prospect of lunch puts a touch of romance upon life. Then because our days are so unutterably the same, we turn to the newspapers, we go to the magazines and read only the "stuff with punch," we seek out a "show" and drive serious playwrights into the poorhouse.
>>
>>543517
>pseudosciences
But racism isn't taught in schools anymore
>>
>>543527
Yeah, It has been replaced with gender pronouns.
Reee, learn my pronouns shitlord etc etc.

And yes I gladly fell for this bait.
>>
>>543547
Gender studies*

My bad.
>>
>>543547
But what has gender studies to do with what OP asked?
>Inb4 le cultural marxist boogeyman
>>
>>543547

>learn my pronouns

This exact phenomenon used to be called politeness.
>>
>>543554
Do you have any reading comprehension? Follow the post chain.
>>
>>542652
Is intellectualism dead? More people are literate than ever, and going to university. More people today exist that could tell you who Dostoevsky is than existed 50 years ago.

I feel like almost every thread in this board about >muh degenerate culture could be solved by their OPs going outside and having actual conversations with people more.
>>
File: 084.png (102 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
084.png
102 KB, 300x256
>>543463
>When colleges became centers of conservative thought

The only parts that become "conservative" were the economics departments m8
>>
>>543648

I'm referring to the recent trend against free speech.
>>
>>543668
Are you american?
>>
>>543674

No.

But it's American universities that I'm talking about.

Demanding that some subjects are taboo and cannot be discussed is a conservative trend, not a liberal one.
>>
File: normalfags.jpg (91 KB, 790x500) Image search: [Google]
normalfags.jpg
91 KB, 790x500
>>542652
>>
>>543689

That's probably because the radical left and the far right seem to have so much stupid shit in common.

Radical SJWs/feminists remind me a lot of religious fundamentalists in the way they behave.
>>
>>542652
Pseudointellectuals, actually
>>
>>543557
>enabling unabashed narcissism and unwarranted self importance is being polite
wow
>>
>>543756

That's what politeness always was.

Why else would you be required to call your elders 'mister' or 'sir', if not for their desire to be treated with unwarranted self-importance, or to feed their narcissism.
>>
>>542652
Literally nothing, intellectualism isn't dead, the existence of some poor taste educational junk doesn't mean somehow it's impossible to be a smart person anymore.
>>
Because people realized "intellectuals" are retarded bullshitters
>>
>>542652
>What caused the death of intellectualism?
The spread of education beyond a narrow, cliquish elite. Because

1) People are no longer so impressed with the half though-out ramblings of people who never grew out of the university phase of their life just because they know a lot of jargon
and
2) now that the university educated are becoming a majority they no longer need to apply real intellectual rigour to their arguments in order to persuade others; they can just get their way by having more votes.

Get's you coming and going, doesn't it?
>>
>>542652

Intellectualism in itself is a death. Imagine a mass of people, now place infornt of it a mass of food only sustaining a 3rd. What percent of the people will kill for it, dive for it, work for it, or think about its value. intellectualism in itself is a dead end, never granting anything more beyond awe and self appreciation in coping mechanism. It's a device unto itself, and that survival - it is then a tool, if used well.

To what end do you use your intellectualism? for the greater good? for mankind?

No. most people are self-righteous cunts. myself most included. It's about singularity and introspection of the imprint the limit of our senses allow us a 'reality'. That's core shit. Next, how many people have detached? literally, detached form that human concept and race. Most people are connected in that race for survival. So, who in a survivalist value of intellectualism benefits. . . Obvious answer: Cult leaders and college professors.

Enter the profession: "college professors"

Reason: they are too fucking mouthy and not enough results to bring to the bank.

More probably reason: economy.

Intellectualism is fed by free time. Just as the arts are fed by labor use because of expendable income on aesthetics. Artists need to fuel their ability, and that demands an ability to give a shit about art - same as 'knowledge'.

I always say, "A book is a perfect gift. In the best, it provides a relational understanding of your condition, at worst, a fuel to keep you from freezing to death when burned". Knowledge is what it is used for.
>>
>>543689

No it's not
>>
>>543689
>"stop saying things I don't like" is exclusively conservative.
10/10 I replied.
>>
>>543783
Because those pronouns actually fit them. Calling a man her is incorrect.
>>
The answer is literally right in OP's picture and no one has figured it out. It's involving plebs in education.

In the past education was for the aristocrates. They knew teaching the slaves to read would only ruin literation. Now everything has to be dumbed down to their level.

You got your fucking universal education, arn't you happy?
>>
>>542652
The media.
>>545105
ebin
>>
>>542652
Progressivists getting what they want. An intellectual is presumed to be of higher value than the average person. How does that fit in with any leftist reality.
>>
>>545130
But leftists worship intellectuals
>>
Putting an agenda in it and acting like it was always there
>>
>>545133
And? Those are just intellectuals of the decline. The communist end-game has no need for intellectuals. Most got killed during the purges after Stalin.
>>
>>542652
Expanding literacy.

When everyone fancies themselves intelligent, even the poorly read and 80 iq people, people turn to fashion or somesuch to display their specialness.

There is a reason literacy was illegal for peasants in most pre enlightenment bureaucracies.

#piss4equality
>>
the internet certainly hasn't helped
>>
File: 1430791565040.png (19 KB, 724x552) Image search: [Google]
1430791565040.png
19 KB, 724x552
Fuck this shit, I'm full of anger, wanted to think about another thing, come to 4chan, see this..
>>
>>543456
>Communism
American/10
>>
>>545985
>caring about what plebs think about Shakespeare
>>
>>545991
Funny how you see things a strange way when you're in a bad mood
>>
>>546009
If anyone reads this book, their opinion simply doesn't matter on it and you shouldn't get mad about it
>>
Tall poppy-syndrome in an age where we've gone a bit too far assuring everyone they're special snowflakes.

In all seriousness (and a tad off what you're talking about), I doubt people are getting dumber - the fact that the internet means everyone now has a platform for their stupid opinion, combined with the fact that everyone thinks their opinion is valid, probably just means we're all exposed to stupid people a lot more. Sure, there's a herd mentality on something like, say, facebook - where people share stupid shit and say stupid shit - but the mob mentality has always been around.

I like to try and stay optimistic about our intelligence as a society, we're far more educated (and generally better off for it - uni debts aside) than we've ever been. Of course you don't hear about the university educated morons of earlier times who couldn't apply proper intellectual rigour in a debate, but I'm sure they existed. It's a bit like wars - people in general seem to think we live in a very violent time because of how exposed we are to wars, when armed conflict around the world is actually on the downturn (although my stats on that are from like 2011, so I suppose it's possible ISIS/Syria etc have reversed that trend).
>>
>>545133
They claim they do, and only do so with those that agree with them
>>
>>545168
>The communist end-game has no need for intellectuals. Most got killed during the purges after Stalin.
More like, communists intellectuals don't have the political talent to stay in power, so they get replaced and purged by the plebs.
>>
File: houellebecq_2015_sipa.jpg (143 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
houellebecq_2015_sipa.jpg
143 KB, 1000x500
Modernity.
>>
>>542652
Anti-Intellectualism is perpetuated by the ruling economic and political elite to keep the working classes isolated form revolutionary thought.
>>
>>542652
seeing this makes me contemplate suicide.
>>
>>543756
Get a load of this guy. Using singular they/them is gonna kill him
>>
>>542652
>Romeo and Juliet
>not a stupid teen drama

come back when they do that shit with Hamlet or Shakespeare's histories.
>>
File: Prived_Medved1.jpg (16 KB, 545x198) Image search: [Google]
Prived_Medved1.jpg
16 KB, 545x198
Slav memes
>>
>>543901
holy fuck i can read your shitty accent
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.