[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why they were such great fighters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10
File: vikings.jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
vikings.jpg
8 KB, 300x168
Why they were such great fighters?
>>
>>542112
Why are you so shit at making bait threads?
>>
>>542120
How is this a bait?
>>
because of where they lived. They thrived in the in the harshest environment on out planet, this made them the toughest warriors of their age(if not of all time), it also helps that they forged their steel weapons in the same forge they burned their most honorable warriors in.
>>
>>542145

Because that meme was done to death. No, Vikings weren't great fighters. Most of their exploits is just riding defenseless villages and monasteries. Vikings usually retreated whenever they encountered organized resistance. When faced with another warrior societies, i.e. Baltic Slavs or Balts, they failed miserably.
>>
>>542178
>No, Vikings weren't great fighters.

>the people that sacked rome and nearly conquered europe weren't great fighter

>>>/leftypol/
and stay there
>>
File: Losers.jpg (363 KB, 1532x763) Image search: [Google]
Losers.jpg
363 KB, 1532x763
>>542112
>slaughtering monks and townsfolk
>great fighters
>>
>>542120
well you bit it didn't you? Not ignoring shitposts your own fault.
>>
>>542195
b-b-buh muh warrior heritage that whispers to me noooooo
>>
>>542195
this has been debunked 100+ times. Actually google some of those battles, faggot.

>>542120
what's wrong with having more than one thread celebrating the greatest warriors the earth has ever seen? My viking ancestors call for me to make threads about them so their adventures and battles will live on forever, and eventually I will raise a son and he will do the same thing and when my time is up i will ascend to Valhalla and sit next to Odin in the mead hall and I will watch my son and our descendants just like my ancestors watch me.

very true. I know my ancestors are looking down on me so I live everyday in their honor for without them I would not be here. I hope i do well enough so I may join them in Valhalla and we can drink and chant together while they tell me stories of their travels.
>>
File: Hide Snowniggers.png (115 KB, 1305x893) Image search: [Google]
Hide Snowniggers.png
115 KB, 1305x893
>>542208
The links are in the picture m8.

This is what I get for expecting a snownigger to read...
>>
>>542208
>this has been debunked 100+ times. Actually google some of those battles, faggot.
>expecting a butthurt christcuck to care about facts
>>
come on guys, hes just joshin. boys will be boys. nothing wrong with a lil horsin around 8)
>>
File: Boniface.jpg (236 KB, 744x900) Image search: [Google]
Boniface.jpg
236 KB, 744x900
>>542222
The fact is that Scandinavia was Christianized, lad.

Waste of quads t.b.h.
>>
>>542190
Vikings never sacked Rome.
Vikings were never close to conquering Europe.
>>
File: ra3fI5d[1].png (49 KB, 854x210) Image search: [Google]
ra3fI5d[1].png
49 KB, 854x210
>>
File: cZHtV2K[1].png (25 KB, 824x105) Image search: [Google]
cZHtV2K[1].png
25 KB, 824x105
>>
File: XQz1P1c[1].png (38 KB, 810x270) Image search: [Google]
XQz1P1c[1].png
38 KB, 810x270
>>
File: why.png (5 KB, 257x241) Image search: [Google]
why.png
5 KB, 257x241
>>542279
>>542283
>>542295
>>
If Vikings are so great, how come they've never won the superbowl?
>>
SAME PICS
SAME POSTS
EVERY TIME
HOLY SHIT /HIS/ IS STALE SHIT
>>
>>542190
are you fucking retarded? Vikings never even raided Rome let alone sack it.
>>
>>542167
wow Denmark is such harsh enviroment

oh let me guess you think whole Scandinavia is as mountainous as Norway and there is only snow like in some fantasy land?
>>
>>542222
there actually was a battle between vikings who converted to christianity and the ones who were still pagan

the christian ones won

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Strangford_Lough
>>
>>542279
>black hair
he sure has viking blood in him especially considering most Norsemen were peaceful farmers
>>
>>542190
>>
>>542233
I sort of view this image as showing how stupid Christians are. Religion's vitality isn't in fucking tree's it's a way of life. This is why Christ-fags simply cannot understand that paganism never really died and is in fact thriving. For people claiming to be 'religious' they haven't a fucking clue about what spiritualism actually. They think it has to do with going to to church or practicing ritual cannibalism.
>>
>>544827
They think it has to do with going to to church or practicing ritual cannibalism

Religion and community are mutually reinforcing you autist, you don't have one without the other in the long-run.

Even pagans had religious festivals
>>
>>542190
>/lit/ falseflagging again
>>
>>542195
didn't danish vikings conquer most of england for a while though?
>>
If they were nothing but raiders, how did they transform the british isles into mini-Scandinavia, it taking a "French" Viking to drive them out, along with Sicily

Also Varangian Guard ect ect.
>>
>>542120
>>542178
>>542203

>"The Varangian Guard (Greek: Τάγμα των Βαράγγων, Tágma tōn Varángōn) was an elite unit of the Byzantine Army, from the 10th to the 14th centuries, whose members served as personal bodyguards to the Byzantine Emperors. They are known for being primarily composed of Germanic peoples, specifically Scandinavians"

Good enough to serve as the emperors body guard half across the world.

>>545075

A mix of danish, swedish and norwegians did a whole lot of waring in England and France back in the day. England was basicly our colony, along with Normandie wich is named after north men.

We even sacked Paris.
>>
because you just rowed a long way to steal shit. You really need to sack a church and rape a fair maiden before rowing all the way back to the coldest part of Europe!

Just like the arabs in Germany over the new year, got to steal some shit and rape a fair maiden before walking back to the hottest place on earth.
>>
>>542222
This image is inaccurate, the helmets don't have horns.
>>
>>545489
>we
>>
>>545635

Thats how you say it right? English is not my native tounge but wouldn't an american say "we liberated europe during ww2" or an britt say "we invented spinning jenny" and so on?
>>
>>545635
WUZ
>>
>>545489

Scandinavians =/= Vikings

Vikings were Scandinavian farmers and pirates. The Varangians were overwhelmingly Saxon at one point.
>>
>>545675

>The Varangians were overwhelmingly Saxon at one point.

About the Varangians I have no idea but Wikipedia said "specifically scandinavians" but can't say since I have not read on it.

>Vikings were Scandinavian farmers and pirates.

Actually Vikings where mostly traders more than anything else, after that they where colonisers. And calling them pirates is a huge generalisation.

And how can you separate scandinavians from vikings? Thats like saying crusader =/=english man.
>>
>>542112
>inb4 picking your fights carefully
>inb4 never talk about failures and lost battles
>>
>>545660
KHALS
>>
>>545675
>The Varangians were overwhelmingly Saxon at one point.
Source on this, it smells like we wuz tier.
>>
Christianity is necessary for civilization

....except for the Greeks and Romans, and Sumerians, Egyptians, and the Persian Empire...

if anything Christianity infected civilization, like a virus, and then spread a degenerate version of it to the savage races
>>
>>545726
0/10

poor bait
>>
>>545726
>muh romantization of pagan savages

You do know many of those civilizations were degenerates, right?

>orgies in temples
>child sacrifice
>million different gods
>idolatry

Yeah, how dare Christianity with its morals, values and light show my darkness!
>>
>>545720

>Composed primarily of Norsemen and Rus for the first 100 years, the Guard began to see increased inclusion of Anglo-Saxons after the Norman conquest of England. By the time of the Emperor Alexios Komnenos in the late 11th century, the Varangian Guard was largely recruited from Anglo-Saxons and "others who had suffered at the hands of the Vikings and their cousins the Normans". The Anglo-Saxons and other Germanic peoples shared with the Vikings a tradition of faithful (to death if necessary) oath-bound service, and after the Norman invasion of England there were many fighting men who had lost their lands and former masters and looked for a living elsewhere.

yeah i cant find the source its on wiki

>inb4 wikipedia
>>
Glorified savages.

No different from the Huns or Mongols.
>>
>>545738
No need to be redundant.
>>
They were the islamic terrorists of their time
>>
When the fuck will the vikings were bad fighters meme end?

They were well-known to be great warriors at the time, which is why for instance the Varangian Guard was created.
>>
>>545697
>>545720
>>545737
Yeah, by the 1070 onward the Varangians were basically all Anglo-Saxon. It's funny, and bit sad, that a lot of these poor fuckers would end up going head to head with the Normans again at Dyrrhachium and get slaughtered to a man. I guess they did pretty well initially, at least.

Haldon's a good source to draw upon. Not sure if Treadgold goes too much into the shift in composition since his book ends by 1081.
>>
>>545737

The wiki gives you surces bro:
>Likewise, the Byzantine civil-servant, soldier and historian John Kinnamos calls these "axe-bearers" which guarded the Emperor "the British nation, which has been in service to the Romans' Emperors from a long time back".[15]
Then you click that 15:
>John Kinnamos, "The Deeds of John and Manuel Comnenos" (Charles M. Brand, trans). New York, Columbia University Press, 1976, p. 16.
>>
>>545738
were Romans savages? if anything the Jews were savage, by comparison
>>
>>545778
How the fuck were Jews savage?

Romans were brutal and believed in false gods.
>>
>>545783

Cause they were brutal and believed in false gods.
The Jews I mean.
>>
>>545785
bait
>>
>>545787

Their own sacred book shows how their own god going mad agaisnt them for following false gods.
And shows how brutal they can be.
>>
>>545794
1500 BC was a very different world.

The Israelites were surrounded by savage people who practiced human sacrifice and had sex with animals.

If God orders you to kill cancer, you kill cancer in order to ensure the survival of mankind.

Do you have any issues with Russia bombing ISIS? No?

Then stop being a hypocrite.
>waaahhh God in the OT is cruelll!!
>m-muh poor Canaanites! Dey Dindu Nuffin!
>>
>>542543
>denmark isn't in scandinavia
>norse only settled there form harsh environment after they drove pussies already living there away
>>
>>545489
Think of the varangian guard as more of a "hells angels" type rather than a "navy seals" type. Their pale skin, blue eyes and large stature were more of an oddity in Byzantium, and they were mainly used for intimidation anyways.

It's not like these guys were ninjas or something.
>>
>>545799

Whoah.
You may be serious.
You seriously are... I dont know, I dont wanna be mean to you. But I think that you will understood. Well, the point is clear anyway and I have prove that I was not baiting, just correcting.
Have a nice day.
>>
>>545810
>I have no argument
>>
>>545809
>were mainly used for intimidation anyways.
Well, they don't have the best track record but they've done well a bunch of times--crushing Bardas Phokas' army, crushing the Lombards, routing the Norman knights at Dyrrhachium (granted, they did get wiped out), playing a decisive role in wiping out the Pechenegs, and putting up the best fight at the walls of Constantinople in 1204.
>>
>>542195
>>542221
>Oh, it's a /pol/ post.

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>545809
The blue eyes aren't that intimidated, they look to humane to express a testosterone filled male, that is for ape-looking people.

And yes, the proto-Vikings have destroyed Rome - they were the Lombards.

>>542167
Slavs have thrived in harsher environments. Denmark and western Norway have mostly positive temperatures.
>>
>>542195
Indeed, Celts were better than Vikings, and Brian Boru was better than any Norwegian king (because mostly Norwegians have pillaged the foreign lands).
>>
>>545760
they weren't well known to be great warriors at all you made this up, Varangian Guard was created because they were loyal not because they were great fighters and later all the guard consisted of Saxons anyway
>>
>>545760
It is a counter meme. They are potrayed as great warriors in vidya and fiction but they weren't all that great so /his/ takes the oposite position saying they were pussies.
It's the same with the meme dark ages.
>>
>>542190
Sacked Rome lololol bullcrap, Rime was wprth litterally dogshit at that time. Would have challenged them to sack Costantinoples in the 900'. They would have been smashed
>>
>>546346
but they literally were pussies
>>
>>542195
>instigated by the jews (Khazars)
Why does this meme still exist?
>>
>>542208
it wasn't debunked even once people just answer to any viking critic with ''but they were cool!'' yeah that really changes a lot
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.