[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about buying this, is it as good as people say?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: Shirer.jpg (9 KB, 180x280) Image search: [Google]
Shirer.jpg
9 KB, 180x280
Thinking about buying this, is it as good as people say?
>>
>>540932
Journalism.
>>
>>540932
if you want to know about the rise and fall of the third reich then I'd say it's a pretty good place to start, you just need to get over the awkward bits where the author complains about homosexuality for a sentence.
>>
File: TGSNTtv-Background.jpg (53 KB, 727x409) Image search: [Google]
TGSNTtv-Background.jpg
53 KB, 727x409
>>540932
http://thegreateststorynevertold.tv/
>>
>>541074
One of the most brilliant documentaries ever made, imo.
t. delusional stormfag
>>
>>541074
pretty damn entertaining
I tink it was this youtube video "Babylon before Hitler" which lead me to it. It's a lengthy presentation, if it looks intimidating just try at least a half hour or so and see if it interests you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Fc0Jtp20c

https://archive.org/details/AdolfHitlerTheGreatestStoryNeverToldFull6HoursDocumentary
>>
Holy shit the /pol/ leakage is increasing today
>>
File: 1452412777643.jpg (215 KB, 1058x1058) Image search: [Google]
1452412777643.jpg
215 KB, 1058x1058
>>541157
i think it mainly stems from what's happening in Europe at the moment and people who originally were on the fence when it came to politics have now been shoved drastically to the right and have shown an interest in past similar problems in politics.

Also i believe mein kampf lost its copyright and have been selling like hotcakes throughout Europe atm.
>>
>>541157

It's getting worse each day, I've noticed.
>>
>>541154
Entertaining but too obsessed with turning Hitler into a dindu.
>>
>>541163
>>541157
>>541187
Hey reddit
>>
>>541193

Boys, we've got a live one!
>>
>>541197
>reddit humor
>>
>>541193
neither a lefty or right, just an observer of both types. Reddit is too heavily moderated against anything anti immigrant/refugee or right leaning, much too tweeny and ignorant about current events in the world taking place.

>>541187
Expect a rise with more increasing rapes by foreigners in Germany, France and Sweden. Try not to be surprised
>>
>>540932
It is the only book i have read in relation to the third reich/hitler. i thought it was good and i learnt a lot more then i expected. it was really informative on a variety of interesting subjects and covered more or less anything regarding the third reich in their active years. only real complaint i have is that the author sometimes casually complains about hitler and the nazi. i would give it a 8/10. if you really want to treat yourself i recommend buying the folio edition.
>>
>>541222
Go to be Shirer.
>>
>>541238
i havent read any of his other stuff
>>
>>540932

I read this and Richard J. Evans "Third Reich"-trilogy back-to-back. They both cover the same subject. Afterwards, I felt the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich was a much better read than Evans' majestic tomb.

It's educational and easy to plough through. Overall it is a very, very good read. Be warned, however, it doesn't focus very much on the war at all so if that's what you're after, look for another book. This is mostly a book about the Rise of the Third Reich and how World War 2 got started. It explains very thoroughly how and for what reasons war broke out in Europe.

These are it's main flaws:
- It sometimes goes into meticulous detail regarding who was where when and why in all of the events leading up to the big turning points leading up to the war. The annexation of Austria and the Sudetenlands is covered in almost painstaking detail and for the love of god, the leadup to hostilities in Poland is like a hundred pages... Since these three events more or less follow each other, there's a lot of "He did this, then he did that, which bewildered this third guy, and Stalin was none the wiser"...

- As stated before, William Shirer is not objective when it comes to homosexuals. He is however merely a product of his time and does not discredit them in any way, he simply calls them degenerates because that's what Hitler called them and doesn't explore the subject further.

- Whenever Shirer was present at an occasion, he points it out. Not really a flaw... In fact, he can give an insight into events most others can't... It's just that despite this being a fantastic book on the subject, Shirer sometimes feels the need to comment that "he found Goebbels to be an idiot" or stuff like that.

Overall tho, a very good read.
>>
>>541292
>tomb
tome.
>>
>>541104
Yes it is. A very accurate portrayal of WW2.

t. another delusional stormfag
>>
>>541415

sorry. long time ago since I played Heretic.
>>
You might also like his Berlin Diary, a contemporary account of his years as a CBS radio correspondent in Germany and central Europe. He was hired by Ed Murrow after his news network job (INS, I think) went under.
>>
>>541157
>>541187
>Hurt rightism is a cancer
Fucking Reddit
>>
>>541157
>>541187
Have you even read OP's book or do you just start screaming whenever you see a swastika?
>>
>>541292

This to be honest: Read Evans for learning and read Shirer for pleasure.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.