[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So the 600th anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt was a week
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: henryv1944_promo1.jpg (222 KB, 640x380) Image search: [Google]
henryv1944_promo1.jpg
222 KB, 640x380
So the 600th anniversary of the Battle of Agincourt was a week ago.

What are your thoughts on this historic battle, and the Hundred Year's War in general?
>>
I'm currently uneducated on the topic, but i just checked out a book on the Hundred Years' War. Crecy was a pretty cool battle desu
>>
Its basically a meme due to English shilling
>>
>>54095
Want to get into Agincourt?

Read this.

30+ contemporary accounts, some of them from eyewitnesses of the battle, translated into modern English for your reading pleasure.
>>
>>54041

>English win 1 battle
>english loose the war
>>
>>54184
sweet, I'll look for it tomorrow.
>>
>>54149
This, pretty fucking annoying hearing some brit rant on about three battles they won, despite the fact that they lost the war and almost all territory on mainland Europe. Plus burgundy got fucked
>>
Is the Trial by Battle/Trial by Fire/House Divided/Cursed Kings series any good?
>>
File: 1397720701723.jpg (85 KB, 680x497) Image search: [Google]
1397720701723.jpg
85 KB, 680x497
FROGS WERE BTFO
>>
>>54357
Oh, Cursed Kings is out now?

The series is good, it attempts to be the first comprehensive (emphasis on comprehensive, these are big, thick and heavy scholarly books if you didn't know) modem account of the Hundred Year's War, and succeeds at this a lot of the time. Yet, some parts are already dated. Sumption's thoughts on military strategy and battles, for instance, have more or less been debunked in War Cruel and Sharp by Rogers (2005).
>>
>>54739
Thanks.
Do you have any other suggestions, I've only read a few short 'pop' histories of the 100 Years War really. But I like those long dry books, Glantz for example.
>>
>>54313
>Plus burgundy got fucked
Burgundy emerged as one of the most powerful states in Western Europe though.
>>
The English did very well considering their manpower disadvantage and the aulde alliance
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 720x428) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 720x428
>>54041
I was disappointed with how few showed up at the Tower celebration for the

wtf is wrong with the British people?
>>
>>54946
The Battle of Crecy, 1346 by Sir Philip Preston and Andrew Ayton (among other authors) is incredibly good. I know I'll be proven wrong but it really feels like it'll always be the comprehensive book on the battle. Until a major archaeological survey of the battlefield takes place, at least.

Matthew Strickland and Robert Hardy wrote a book about "The Great Warbow" (2006), which is about the longbow in general but that inevitably means a lot of discussion about the Hundred Year's War, which is handled very well.

Burne's "Agincourt War" and "Crecy War" are really good for "pop histories", if you haven't read them yet.

But everything I've suggested so far is about military history, I don't know where you want to go to study the social side of the conflict. "A Distant Mirror", maybe.
>>
>>55154
Would have gone if I had known it was on
>>
>>55232
Oh, and otherwise I'd recommend reading the contemporary accounts of Jean Froissart and Enguerrand de Monstrelet. You can find them on most online libraries.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.