[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is imperialism strictly a white thing? We had the choice to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: dem_crusades_doe.jpg (89 KB, 845x468) Image search: [Google]
dem_crusades_doe.jpg
89 KB, 845x468
Is imperialism strictly a white thing?

We had the choice to not sack Muslims out of revenge during the Crusades but we still did, and we still reacted to the decline of the scholastic Golden Age by going to fucking America.

How would history have been different if we had stuck with the more modest option during the Middle Ages?
>>
File: sam01.jpg (126 KB, 463x640) Image search: [Google]
sam01.jpg
126 KB, 463x640
>>540179
>Is imperialism strictly a white thing?
>>
>>540179
What is the Ottoman Empire?
What is the Mongol Empire?
What are the various SA Empires?
You get my point? Imperialism is not an exclusively white thing
>>
>>540179
Humanity doesnt make collective choices on direction. The crusades were privately funded endeavors. The church and local Kingdoms independently raised the capital and men to wage the crusades, and as such when the money ran out, so did the fervor to fight such a war. Propaganda could only substitute for gold and silver for so long, before the desire to lose ones life in a foreign land for literally nothing was less appealing than ceding a rotten hell-hole in the desert.

There was a simultaneous existence of domestic feudalism, and mercenary warfare during the middle ages.
>>
>>540185
Heh point proven.

Okay, next questions. How would history have turned out if we stayed in Europe?
>>
what the fuck? why do people not even look at the 4000 years of recorded history before 1500?

mongols, muslims, chinese, persians, assyrians, babylonians, akkadians, the inca, the list goes on and on

all of history is imperialism
>>
>>540198
I'd have to agree with this to extent. I think as we move forward and countries become more liberalized imperialism as we know it will slowly die out.
Look at how long borders have been static in highly developed nations compared to just 100 years ago, or how aggressive imperialistic nations are often condemned for their actions now.
I think in the future land acquisition will be done almost entirely through purchases or perhaps as a way to rectify past wrongs.
>>
>>540179
> to not sack Muslims out of revenge
You mean what happened when they took Jerusalem?
>>
>>540195
why would we have done that

imperialism was done because it made sense at the time. that's the same for every empire. it's easier to go fuck up someone else than deal with your own shit.
>>
>>540179
No that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard today.
>>
>>540179
No, westerners just ended up being really, really good at it, and then changed the ruled so nobody else could beat the high score.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.