[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ww1/ - The First World War
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: ww1.jpg (284 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ww1.jpg
284 KB, 1024x768
So you want to learn about the First World War? I have some helpful links for you.

First, an introductory video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbwH1ZBnYds

There's a YouTube channel, The Great War, which is going through the First World War every week as it happened 100 years ago. That means the show won't end until 2018. The show does a decent job at introducing some material, but like most YouTube shows, each episode lasts only a few minutes and skims over content. Just my opinion, but I feel like the show pads itself with too much focus on battles, could use a little diversity in the topics:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

I recommend watching the show, but only for an easygoing introduction into the various topics of WW1. Whenever the show introduces a new concept, such as the Schlieffen-Plan, I recommend using this website:

http://www.firstworldwar.com

The above website is an extensive database of all things WW1.

If you prefer a book, I personally like "The First World War" by John Keegan, though I'm sure there's better books out there.

WW1 has been the basis for a lot of great movies. "All Quiet on the Western Front" shows the extreme nationalism of European countries as well as the horrors of trench warfare. "Lawrence of Arabia" is an epic following the titular character on his quest to lead the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire.
>>
File: ww1 film guide.jpg (1 MB, 1884x2620) Image search: [Google]
ww1 film guide.jpg
1 MB, 1884x2620
Here's a guide to WW1 films.
>>
These things are a must read unless you wish to repeat faggot tier memery about WW1 and its aftermath:

Sally Marks
The Myths of Reparations
http://www.jstor.org/stable/4545835?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Holger H. Herwig
Clio Deceived: Patriotic Self-Censorship in Germany after the Great War
http://vi.uh.edu/pages/buzzmat/DH%20articles/HerwigClioDeceived.pdf
>>
>>538498
>the 10/10 show that is anzacs stuck down there in "others"
bah humbug
>>
Further - this time much lighter - reading to stop retarded "hurrr durr dey wuz napoleonic soldiers walking into machinegunsss xDD" ideas:

THE ORGANIZATION OF AN INFANTRY BATTALION AND THE NORMAL FORMATION FOR THE ATTACK.
http://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook_text/Notes_on_Recent_Operations_Army_War_College_August_1917_1000133767/11
>>
digitized videos from german federal archive

https://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.de/search?q=&x=1&xf[]=Keywords&xo[]=EQUALS&xv[]=Western+Front%C2%A0%28World+War+I%29
>>
File: 23.jpg (61 KB, 1000x642) Image search: [Google]
23.jpg
61 KB, 1000x642
also have an armored train
>>
Who else here thinks that the Russian Empire is most responsible for WW1?
>They supported the Black Hand
>They mobilized their troops first
>muh Panslavism
of course Russia isnt the only country guilty of starting WW1 but their guilt is often overlooked
>>
File: asd.jpg (80 KB, 688x547) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
80 KB, 688x547
>>538576
Surely by the very virtue of their mobilization being a response to solely Austrian action (even if actually German-backed) you cannot seriously claim Russia to be the most responsible for the conflict.
>>
>>538576
>They supported the Black Hand?
Russia did? How?

>They mobilized their troops first
I thought Austria-Hungary did and Russia mobilized as a response, which caused German to mobilize.
>>
>>538576
get out sean mcmeekin
>>
>>538866
He's the best new author on the subject and he's right.
>>
File: 1280 dpi full view unframed.jpg (294 KB, 1280x851) Image search: [Google]
1280 dpi full view unframed.jpg
294 KB, 1280x851
>>538498
>Still no movie about Jutland

;_;
>>
Why did the Young Turks take over the empire? I read that members of the Young Turks were educated in western cities and became inspired by western nationalism. This led to them wanting to turn the pan-Islamic empire into a Turk-only empire. What the hell were they teaching in western schools?
>>
>>539158

>What the hell were they teaching in western schools?

...nationalism?
>>
>>539166
>b-b-buh muh nationalism
>>
>>539131
I'm still mad. There have been movies on less important battles, and yet no one seems to be willing to show battleships and battlecruisers in their glory days
>>
>>539646
You'll always have pic related.
>>
>>539158
20th century values. Turkey and the Ottoman empire was rotting from the inside out, and had been for a long time. They were the last seriously religious empire, everyone else had basically moved on.

>>538590

Not that I agree with anon, but Russia mobilising was what really fucked everything. If Austria had just nutted up and rolled Serbia without faffing about, it would have been over and done before anyone could have really started a serious war. Russia mobilising changed it from a Balkans war to a world war.
>>
File: Uniforms_Balkan_Allies.jpg (111 KB, 846x553) Image search: [Google]
Uniforms_Balkan_Allies.jpg
111 KB, 846x553
Anyone have a copy of The Guns of August: The Outbreak of World War I?
>>
>>541127
Your local library.
>>
>>541146
nvm found a pdf copy

but it didnt occur to me that the library existed until you posted that, so i'll probably go see if there's a physical copy there
>>
>>541168
They will most likely have it if they're semi-competent; it's one of the most famous books on the topic.
>>
Question: was the purpose of the Treaty of London only to get Italy on the side of the Allies, or did the Treaty of London also make it so that none of the allied nations could make a peace treaty with Germany or Austria-Hungary?
>>
>>541127
>>541168
pdf where?
>>
I'm making a list of keywords for WW1. Fill in the cracks. So far I've only made it up to Trench Warfare.

May Coup
The Russo-Japanese War
The Young Turks
The Bosnian Annexation Crisis
The Treaty of Berlin
The Moroccan Crises
The Italo-Turkish War
The Balkan Wars
The Black Hand
The assassination of archduke Franz Ferdinand
Willy-Nicky Correspondence
The Schlieffen-Plan
Plan XVII
The Battle of the Frontiers
Howitzer
The Rape of Belgium
Treaty of London
The First Battle of the Marne
Trench Warfare
>>
>>541642

The Fokker Scourge
Unrestricted Submarine Warfare
Gallipoli Campaign
Tank
The Christmas Truce
Stosstruppen
Hutier Tactics
>>
File: 1405064028996.png (169 KB, 283x365) Image search: [Google]
1405064028996.png
169 KB, 283x365
Arditi
Planes
artillery usage
>>
Anyone want to talk about the European conflicts in the immediate post-war era?

All I really know are the Polish-Soviet War and Germans fucking up commies in the Baltics.
>>
>>541757
Churchill called it the war of the pygmies. Bad choice of words considering the Bolsheviks had great plans concerning Europe and the British PM did everything to help them.
Also the war was quite awesome. It has its own feel different than WWI or other wars. It's hard to describe. Like it's a war among different nations (and the Reds) who were all fighting basically on dead bodies of three European empires. They were all new and they were all exhausted from WWI but nevertheless the war was far more dynamic.
>>
>>541757

Anything Freikorps related sets the tone for the conflicts to come.

There's a whole mass of conflict that happened in Turkey as well, as the Ottoman empire imploded.
>>
Bought Guns of August and Lawrence of Arabia today
>>
>>538593
IIRC they told the Serbian government not to cooperate with the Austrian investigation of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand.
>>
Just finished reading Storm of Steel a few days ago, I think I can sort of understand the horror of artillery and what complete bullshit it is. Junger's doesn't see that much action, yet his unit constantly gets chewed up beyond recognition by just moving in and out of the front line.
>>
bump
>>
>>541127
Hell yeah
>>
>>543675
>IIRC
YRAI
that's the acronym for "you remember absolutely incorrectly"
>>
>>543709
arty was the number one killer in ww1 by far
which should not be surprising, i imagine that goes for most wars 1900-1980 or thereabouts
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.