[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think we can all agree that, until 1500 or so, Great Britain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: chosser.jpg (192 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
chosser.jpg
192 KB, 1200x1200
I think we can all agree that, until 1500 or so, Great Britain and Ireland were nowheresville.
- Venerable Bede writing the history only of the British Isles
- Beowulf (English retelling of a Danish story)
- Duns Scotus
- Arthurian legends that were treated as basically "noble savage" legends by the rest of Europe
- Chaucer

...and that's about it. It is only in the last 500 years or so that the British Isles produced anything even sort of noticeable.
>>
Yeah
Europe was also shit until about 1500 years ago when the savages in the North adopted Mediterranean culture and the new Hyperborean era began
Now we live in a Kali Yuga, waiting for the desert-peoples to overwhelm the noble ice-lords of the North
>>
there was a worldwide struggle that started in 3000 bc and ended in 1492, thats when the west solidified itself as the best.
>>
>>535373
>>535387
Hard to argue that the Roman Empire was not preeminent at its time, or the Alexandrian empires and sequelae at their time.
Britain, on the other hand, was always a vassal and seldom even learned lessons from its masters.
>>
Didn't Ireland preserve a fair bit of literature after the fall of the roman empire?
>>
File: 1451350761413.jpg (556 KB, 647x1024) Image search: [Google]
1451350761413.jpg
556 KB, 647x1024
Yeah I'd definitely agree with this assessment.

I'd go as far as pushing the date of the start British (pre)eminence to 1600 or even 1700
>>
What? In the 12th century our Archbishop of Canterbury, Anselm, was formulating theology that is still taught today (ontological argument, Cur Deus Homo etcetera), and that was in the early 1100s/late 1090s.
In the 13th century the first document limiting Royal power was signed in the Magna Carta.
There's definitely more to British history than what happened from 1500 onwards.
>>
>>535321
Relevant? No. But they still had some good stuff, like the stuff you listed and Richard I is based

>>536226
>Anselm
He's from italy (then it was the HRE)
>>
>>536226
I don't fucking care about that
>>
Britfag here

you are basically correct, if anything I would push the date of our rise to relevance further forward in time. We were still getting rektd by the Dutch in the 17th Century. Its ridiculous how the French get belittled in comparison to the UK just because of WW2 when for most of our history France has been way more powerful than us
>>
>>535321
This is more or less entirely true.

Britain only became relevant after the Dutch moved their custom to London because the French were fucking their shit up on the continent. It was pretty much a Dutch colony anyway after the Raid on the Medway and William of Orange needed only to walk in.
>>
Another thread that proves /his/torians are a bunch of retarded commies.
>>
10th century England was probably the most developed state in Europe, after the Byzantine Empire.
>>
>>536473

Yeah sure.....

The most developed state at that moment was the Caliphate of Cordoba.

British dominance came with the defeat of Naopeon. Before that, was France, and before XVIII, Spain.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.